• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny has Stasis

FudgesMum

New Kit
Hello, I am hoping for some diet help. Fudge has been poorly for six days. I noticed he hadn’t eaten his tea one morning and there was no popping. He’s currently spent a day and an overnight at the emergency vet and since then has been taken back each day for a painkiller and some fluids. At home he has a gut-moving drug 4 times a day and metacam twice a day.

Fudge is a rescue rabbit so we don’t know his history but we have had him three years. He spends his days in the garden and is fed at 5pm in his hutch. We went through a lot of food until we found one he will eat. He has Burgess Excel in his dish at Tom and a dish of greens. He will only eat dandelions, kale and fluffy carrot tops. He won’t eat any other veg. He will nibble a piece of apple on occasion. The thing is - he doesn’t eat any Hay. He refuses any and I have tried about ten different types and makes.

He had stasis before - just after we had him. We were away for a few days and he went to a lovely boarding place - the owner nursed him through stasis and she reckoned it was just stress induced - new place and the disruption. This time, a member of the family went in the garden, he ran for their feet and tripped over him. I worried he was physically hurt somewhere but he has been well checked over by the vet who says not. So I am assuming it’s the scare/stress of it that has brought it on. Then I thought - could it be his diet?

Anyone who has any advice at all, I would really appreciate it. I am so worried about him.

Hello, I am hoping for some diet help. Fudge has been poorly for six days. I noticed he hadn’t eaten his tea one morning and there was no popping. He’s currently spent a day and an overnight at the emergency vet and since then has been taken back each day for a painkiller and some fluids. At home he has a gut-moving drug 4 times a day and metacam twice a day.

Fudge is a rescue rabbit so we don’t know his history but we have had him three years. He spends his days in the garden and is fed at 5pm in his hutch. We went through a lot of food until we found one he will eat. He has Burgess Excel in his dish at Tom and a dish of greens. He will only eat dandelions, kale and fluffy carrot tops. He won’t eat any other veg. He will nibble a piece of apple on occasion. The thing is - he doesn’t eat any Hay. He refuses any and I have tried about ten different types and makes.

He had stasis before - just after we had him. We were away for a few days and he went to a lovely boarding place - the owner nursed him through stasis and she reckoned it was just stress induced - new place and the disruption. This time, a member of the family went in the garden, he ran for their feet and tripped over him. I worried he was physically hurt somewhere but he has been well checked over by the vet who says not. So I am assuming it’s the scare/stress of it that has brought it on. Then I thought - could it be his diet?

Anyone who has any advice at all, I would really appreciate it. I am so worried about him.

if he is out grazing on grass a lot then not eating much hay is not such a big issue. that said he may still be at risk of dental problems. has your vet ruled this out ?

Re his diet. How much pellet feed do you give ? Feeding too many pellets can cause GI tract problems. Is he a healthy weight ?

Stress induced gut stasis can occur. Is there a chance that there is a predator about eg a Cat or a Fox ?

If you want to give his diet an overhaul there is a lot of information available here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

Last edited:

I'm sorry that Fudge is still not improved following the onset of Stasis :( I would get him over this first and then I think you could be right to think about his diet and whether a change would be beneficial.

A few questions :) Is Fudge moulting atm? How many Burgess Excell does he have each day? Does he have any treats? Whilst he is out in the garden are you sure there is nothing which is stressing him? Are you 100% sure that there are no plants in your garden, which rabbits shouldn't be eating? Does Fudge live by himself? Have you tried him with any forage other than Dandelions? Does he like to eat herbs? Does he eat grass?

In my view diet is very important for rabbits and that keeping it very simple is usually beneficial. Any changes you could make to get him eating some hay would be good.

Sending Fudge lots of vibes that he can soon get better.

Is is eating anything? Has he produced any poop at all during the time he has been poorly?
If he is not eating he should be getting syringe feedings to stimulate gut motility and add moisture/material to his system.
Since he is already on motility meds, the vet must have determined he does not have a blockage, so syringe feeding would be safe.
I would feed him any rabbit safe foods he would eat until the stasis is over. After, I would check the link included in IM's post and slowly change his diet, reducing pellets.
Sending Fudge lots of feel better vibes.

Sending vibes for fudge. I agree with what BM, omi and IM have said.
I hope fudgie starts improving soon. Xx

Thank you all for your good wishes. Fudge is taking his recovery food from a syringe and today ate a fluffy carrot top and a 2 inch piece of banana. He seems a little more alert but has still slept a lot today.
The vet has said to carry on with the regime so as not to stress him and to report back on Monday.

Back