• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bonder Needed!

HI :wave: I NEED A BUNNY BONDING SERVICE OR RABBIT WHISPERER... DOES THIS EXIST? :oops::? I APLOGISE FOR THE LENGTH OF THE THREAD - BUT WANTED TO GIVE AS MUCH INFO AS POSS.

I HAVE TWO MALES BUNNIES - BROTHERS - WHO HAVE BEEN SEPARATED SINCE 10 WEEKS OLD. THEY ARE NOW 7 MONTHS OLD, NEUTERED 3 MONTHS AGO, AND SINCE THE ONE'S WIFE BUNNY (IN RECOVERY OF A STROKE, DIED BEFORE CHRISTMAS OF MUCOID ENTERITIS) HE HAS BEEN SO LONELY! THE OTHER CHAP LIVED WITH HIS MUM AND OTHER BRO UNTIL THEY WERE 4 MONTHS OLD. SINCE THEN HE HAS LIVED ALONE - ALTHOUGH HE DOES LOVE SNUGGLING UP TO OUR SOPPY CAT ELVIS!

I HAVE TRIED TO BOND THESE TWO BUNNY BOYS A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW, THEY HAVE ONLY GOT INTO ONE FIGHT - WHERE WE HAD AN EAR INJURY. :(

DURING THE OTHER ATTEMPTS AND BRIEF DAILY MEETINGS (WHICH WERE MEANT TO GRADUALLY INCREASE IN TIME) I KIND OF CHICKENED OUT AS SOON AS THEY STARTED GRUNTING AND CIRCLING. :oops::oops::oops:

I HAVE HAD OTHER SUCCESSFUL BONDS IN THE PAST - BUT NEVER TWO MALES!

THEY ARE BOTH WOOLEY HOUSE BUNNIES, HAVE THEIR OWN ROOMS, AND X PENS/PUPPY CRATES FOR LOCK UP TIME. OF AN EVENING THEY EACH HAVE FREE RUN OF THEIR "ROOM".

THEY DO TRAVEL ACROSS THE LANDING AND SNIFF AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OTHER'S ROOM DOOR - SO THERE IS SOME INTEREST.

BUT I AM TOO SCARED OF TRYING TO BOND THEM AGAIN - INCASE THEY END UP SERIOUSLY HURT. THEY ARE BOTH MY LITTLE BABIES - I HAVE HAD THEM SINCE BORN - TO OUR RESCUE DOE. PERHAPS I AM TOO ATTACHED TO BE ABLE TO REMAIN CALM AND LET THE PROCESS PROGRESS! :love:

ALTHOUGH I KNOW THAT SOME MALE BUNNIES WILL NEVER ACCEPT ANOTHER MALE AS A COMPANION, I WOULD LIKE FOR A "PROFESSIONAL" TO HAVE AN OFFICIAL "NOW OR NEVER" GO AT BONDING THESE TWO!

THEY BOTH NEED AND ENJOY COMPANY AND ARE TOO DAFT TO SEE THE ADVANTAGE OF HAVING A BUNNY MATE (SOMEONE TO STEAL TREATS FROM=TWICE AS MANY TREATS, SOMEONE TO STEAL VEG FROM=TWICE AS MUCH VEG, SOMEONE TO GROOM YOU=NOT HAVING TO DO IT ALL YOURSELF ETC ETC!) :rolleyes:

I WONDER IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME? ALTHOUGH I KNOW SOME FELLOW BUNNY LOVERS DO THIS OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEARTS, I HAVE BUDGETED SOME BEANS (£) FOR THE SAKE OF MY BOYS... SO THEY CAN BUY THEIR BUNS SOME GOODIES AS A THANK YOU?! ALTHOUGH IF THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CHARGES A SET RATE FOR THIS SERVICE (IF IT EXISTS) I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I JUST HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP!

WE ARE IN TAMWORTH, STAFFS - NEAR TO BIRMINGHAM, BURTON-UPON-TRENT, ETC - BUT CAN TRAVEL IF NECESSARY - OBVIOUSLY NOT TO THE OUTER HEBRIDES OR ANYWHERE TOO REMOTE OR FAR AWAY FOR THE BUNS COMFORT!

I AM WILLING TO HAVE A BUNNY BONDER VISIT THE HOUSE IF THIS IS A BETTER OPTION.

IT BREAKS MY HEART THAT I AM NOT BRAVE ENOUGH TO KEEP TRYING - BUT I DO NOT WANT TO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

I HAVE TRIED
* BUSTER COLLARS (I GAVE UP AFTER A COUPLE OF MINUTES AS I FELT THEY WERE UNHAPPY)
* HARNESSES (GAVE UP AFTER FIVE MINUTES OF ARM STRETCHING!)
* SIDE BY SIDE ACCOMODATION (WORKED FOR A WHILE - BUT GAVE UP AFTER ONE CUT HIS NOSE TRYING TO FORCE THE DOOR ON HIS PEN TO GET TO HIS BRO!)
* TREATS AND VEG, BOXES, TOYS AND CATS AS A DISTRACTION-GAVE UP AS THEY GOT GRUMPY - WITH MORE THINGS TO BE TERRITORIAL ABOUT.
* EMPTY ROOM JUST ME, BUNS AND A BROOM INCASE OF FIGHTING... GAVE UP - NOTHING INTERESTING TO LOOK AT SO THEY CHASED EACH OTHER - CIRCLING & GRUNTING.

ALL THIS WAS TO TRY AND GET THEM USED TO EACH OTHERS COMPANY - AS A BASIS FOR A RELATIONSHIP... WITH SAFETY IN MIND. BUT AS SOON AS THEY ARE "LOOSE" THE CHARM TURNS TO ANTAGONISING EACH OTHER AND WINDING EACH OTHER UP!

PLEASE PLEASE LET THERE BE A RABBIT WHISPERER SOMEWHERE!

Did you do the rebonding on neutral territory? You may have to put up with bit of circling & grunting, & rebonding is harder if buns have fought previously.

I have a bonded 9 (male/female mixed), but it used to be 13 - 2 died & it upset a third. I never succeeded in getting him back in the group, but he has his own wifey now:D

Neutral, others & the car!

Hi yes we tried the car, the hall, the bathroom, the landing - before it was shared territory, and even the patio which is the playtime territory of our other 5 outdoor buns! I understand that some chasing, nipping and growling is usual when deciding who is boss.

It starts ok till they spot each other, then Toshi - who sometimes seems like he is being playful and other times challenging, will run up to Crackers - who is nervous, but equally as fiesty, and after sniffing bums for 30 second it then it turns nasty. I get them separated before they actually fight... once I had let them continue thinking it could be all talk to decide leadership, and that was when Crackers ended up with a tear in his ear. It was bleeding - but our vet said it would be ok, gave me some fuciderm to stop it drying out too quickly and itching, and it has healed up nicely.

It is difficult to find a total neutral - no one owns it - territory. We have 2 cats who do interact with the buns, chilling with each of them on occasions - so cats are transferring bunny scents to other household areas. My slippers transfer Crackers scent from his room onto the landing down the stairs and then when Toshi comes out and trots down stairs it is creating another mixed territory!

Anyone else have any ideas? I have read of members doing bonding for other members before... I am a newbie (ish) but hope that someone takes pitty on my two wooley fluff balls and will help me to help them! I believe that no bunny should live alone unless absolutely necessary. I have cried several times because I just want them to be happy. I have seen the difference a in a lonely bunny once they find a friend to love and it saddens me that this is not happening for these two! They are happy when I am around but when I am working, cleaning, or seeing to the other bunnies, mice, piggies and the cats - the house buns get withdrawn, depressed and miserable. Perking up when I return - but slipping back when I leave them.

I need a magic wand!

I would advise you take them to a rescue centre that does bonding as it sounds like it will not be a quick bond so even if you had some-one come to yours to do it is not going to work really:) Most rescues keep them for a few days to a week before you can pick them up but sounds like your best option really :)

Back