• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny acting strange today

bluedragon

Young Bun
I'm really not sure what to make of it, maybe it is just the weather?? Of our two boys JJ has always been the more skittish one (he's a brown regular longer rear leg/wildish looking type) the other is a white lop.

Now some background. Up until now since many months they've both been perfectly fine and active. Every morning they are usually in the playpen waiting for their morning pellets. This morning at 09:00 they weren't, in itself not entirely unusual as it's quite hot so they were in their hutch.

The playpen is permanently connected via tunnel to the hutch. It does have a see through roof and put sheeting around couple of the sides so there is some shade.

So I went up to give their pellet bowl and used my clicker as every morning to let them know. Bubs comes running out as usual and pawing/sniffing at the playpen sides but for some reason JJ didn't. Usually they both do. So I go check and he's totally lying out/flopped out in the litter tray (which is a large underbed storage thing). He's awake/eyes open and looking around etc. so I thought maybe just tired or hot? Or possibly full? As they were REALLY scoffing the hay down past few days.

Anyway he didn't come out to get his pellets but with a bit of coaxing and gentle push from behind he did come out, but didn't really eat many pellets and went back inside after a while.

I then went and pulled some fresh grass for them (from a patch of new grass sown some months ago) and try to feed that to him. Bubs comes in and starts eating from hand too, but JJ basically seemed to just try to push my hand/food away with the side of his nose! By now he's not flopped anymore and sitting like normal, ears up etc. no obvious sign of any problems.

He did eat but only by pushing it away with his nose and at same time grabbing some from like a sideways bite.

Then I tried to put the pellet bowl under his nose and he didn't want any of that! Just bit at the bowl edge a bit and tried to push it away as well. He has NEVER turned down pellets or grass before.

So I tried to give some to him by hand and he took them one by one.

At this point decide to let them both out in the garden and he gets out and starts to nibble here and there, roam around a bit and did a binky as well. Seemed to be "better" so after a while shepherded them both back into their playpen/hutch.

Now I went to check on them again some hours later and he's totally flopped out in the litter again (this time asleep though for a moment I got rather worried until he woke up quickly!), but this time took some of the grass I had in my hand (but only after I put it right under his nose)

So what's going on? Is it just because it's too hot and/or he's full?

When let out he seemed to be ok roaming around and nibbling etc. I'm just concerned this is first time ever he's not been waiting in the playpen in the morning and didn't come rushing to eat the pellets or all that interested either...

Here are some pics of him just now he moved around the litter tray I guess to get comfortable/flop around?

g0Tadnd.jpg

EUCUwEY.jpg

oBfVsaB.jpg

Last edited:
Ok now he's gone outside to the playpen and sitting in the shelter tunnel thingy I made for them ages back.

IuYmuY5.jpg

Not sure if this is how he normally sits?

BPnK37R.jpg

Bubs just squeezed past him:

r54GPsX.jpg

Then I put some fresh grass in front of him (Bubs comes to eat as usual) but no reaction from JJ, doesn't even sniff it or move to eat any!

vvSy9gZ.jpg

So now just gone to check again few mins later they both back inside:

3Yv3qcY.jpg

Is he overheating? Something else? Any advice? Bubs is behaving just like he normally does

Last edited:
Does he appear to have rappid breathing or seem to be panting. If it were me I would take him to the Vet as the pic's (particularly the first, where he seems to be pressing down his tummy) would suggest to me that he 'could' be in pain, and that would be why he's not eating by choice and flopping out in his tray.

Oh my, in the box, JJ looks exactly like my bun! :eek:
And, mine was like that too one Sunday. He wasn't interestes in anything-his pellets, his herbs & fruits and not even in his favourite treats! He never declined his treats before.
I was crying at home what to do, I was soo afraid something is wrong with him. My boyfriend said to just leave him until tomorrow and make an appointment if he doesn't change. Next day, he was perfectly normal again. I have no idea what came in his head :eek:

I'd take him to the vet to be checked too. My Flopsy did this a couple of weeks ago and I just knew he wasn't right by his behaviour. He was given liquid glycerine and I also had recovery food that I gave his as I was worried that his tum would come to a stop.

They are beautiful buns by the way. x

Just checked and he's not breathing rapidly or panting. I opened the front of the hutch to see what they'd do, Bubs came to poke his nose around as usual but JJ got out of his litter tray and tried to go under the stairs! Then when Bubs moved around there he decided to go into the tunnel. Now he's flopped out actually inside the tunnel. I wonder if something possibly upset him overnight maybe?

Ok yeah seems to be "not right" behaviour so will have to get checked out I think, especially as he seems reluctant to eat anything when inside hutch/pen.

Thanks for complement :) We like to let them freerange in garden where possible (supervised) though bit concerned about them running around in this heat we've had lately...

Last edited:
First pic tells me everything I need to know, he's tummy pressing. That means he is in some form of pain.

Immediate vet trip needed. TODAY.

Rabbits don't refuse food, ever, when healthy. A rabbit who refuses food is already at the beginning of 'in trouble'.

Mine get this quite often. Usually the vets will give metaclopromide and zantac and possibly something else. It usually works really well and gets them eating within about 1hr. Sometimes it does pass on it's own but I would never leave it a whole day.

Hi there, yes got him checked out yesterday - vet couldn't feel any blockages or any signs of gas. She thought he probably ate something he shouldn't have. She gave him some meds and gave me food supplement to give by syringe, he seemed to be better later in the day and started eating again of his own accord.

q6svU82.jpg

He is eating fine now and came out to eat his pellets like normal today, had a run around the garden and eating again.

I'm not sure what he could have eaten that caused problems. The only noticeable suspect might have been the plastic flower pot in the playpen, which has small bits missing from the top edge, so possibly that. I removed it anyway to be on the safe side. Previously had stuffed hay into it for a toy for them.

Back to being their usual naughty selves! But now I know what to keep an eye out for in case it happens again, thanks for the advice/pointers.

Did the vet mention gut stasis at all? It's always best to get buns to a vet if they stop eating as stasis can come on really quick. You did the right thing for JJ and I'm glad he is doing better and munching away again - they do worry us at times don't they? ps. they are both very beautiful :)

She gave him something for pain and also to make him hungry as she couldn't feel any blockages or bubbles of gas, so I guess the combination did the trick. He's perfectly fine this morning, as usual both were waiting in playpen for their morning pellets and excited to see me (running around etc.) and gobbled up the pellets again. Yesterday running around in garden eating grass etc. too.

Whatever it was seems to have passed. Their diet is pretty much entirely hay and grass from the garden so don't know what else it could have been; especially since they have access to exactly the same things and bubs has remained just fine. The pellets are same quantity as always, 2 "vanish" scoops in the morning in the same bowl (about 2 eggcups I believe)

All ok now though, thanks for the help!

Here they are from this morning saying hello before pellet time (JJ trying to use Bubs as a step ladder :lol:) he has a cute little headshake he does when he sees us coming in the morning and runs around excited, which has returned as well so he seems to be back to 100%

Qskqh8k.jpg

Last edited:
Back