• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brothers

Bobbybobtail

Warren Scout
Hi there,
I am new to this forum and don't yet have any photos up, but as soon as I can get them up i will. I rescued 2 mini lops, brothers from the same litter. They were being got rid of as the breeder didn't like their markings! They are now coming up to 4 months old. They get on extremely well, don't fight, groom each other and seem very content. I will get them neutered at 5 months. Do you think this will last? Reading on the threads here, it seems that 2 males don't normally bond well. I'm just a bit worried that they will start fighting when I'm not watching them and end up with bites. They are free range in 2 rooms, but in a cage at night. Also, one of them has just started humping the other, but he doesn't appear to mind- should I stop him doing it? The are deffinately both boys- had 2 vets check. Their testes have only just descended, but the vet would rather wait til they are 4 months before removing them.
I may well be worrying about nothing, but wondered of anyone has experience of unneutered brothers?
Many thanks
Claire

hiya :wave:

i have two brothers and as soon as bisc started humping matt, they were neutered. was about 14 weeks old.

they got on so well before and still get on really well now. they are 3 now. they adore each other.

:wave:

Hi, I don't have experience of 2 boys but would suggest that your best chance is to get them done asap. If their bits are there they should be able to be done - try a different vets if yours isn't willing, some will do them from 12 weeks I understand. Your best bet is to avoid any fighting and early neurtering will be the best way to achieve this. The humping is them sorting out who's in charge. The more hormones raging round their bodies the more humping and therefore a bigger risk of fighting IMO and once they have fought it will be hard for them to forget.

Thanks for that. Sorry to be so graphic, but do you know if the testes have to grow larger before they are removed or just have to descend? They literally appeared a few days ago.:D

Thanks for that. Sorry to be so graphic, but do you know if the testes have to grow larger before they are removed or just have to descend? They literally appeared a few days ago.:D

they just have to descend. the vet should be ok to neuter them if the testes are there now! :wave:

My vets didn't want to do Fizz until 4 months (16 weeks) but I know now that others will so do press them for it I'm sure its for the best. If you leave it longer you could be open to problems as the hormones take some time to die down.

Yes, if you have any problems perhaps post whereabouts you are and maybe someone can advise of a vet nearby who will do it.

Back