• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brother and sister broken bond

Penny1234

New Kit
Hi can anyone help me? I am new to this site and am desperate to help my little furry friends.

I have 2 rabbits, brother and sister, mini rex's, nearly 2 years. My male had his op at about 7 months and his sister was spayed last week. They have been joined at the hip since birth, being inseparable, despite visits to the vets over the time I have had them with no problems at all. I decided to have her spayed last week, for her health and also she was getting very bossy and making his life a misery by sitting on him, mivaring him to death, and trying to hump him all the time! Since she has returned home (I just took her to the vet as have never had any problems before and just didnt think of taking him too), he wont accept her. He runs at her, at full speed to attack, grunting. He would hurt her, she just runs off and I have to intervene, spraying him with water and clapping my hands. They used to cuddle up in one hutch, him resting on her head, licking each other, its such a shame and its so sad they have to be in separate hutches now. She has always been the boss, he kind of under the thumb! Their hutches are together now so they can see the other. She has nearly healed, but not 100% yet. He looks angry and basically lost in his little hutch. He is eating but is kind of distant and almost moody. He sits outside on his own for ages, even ignores his greens and used to dive in every time I put them down. He is eating tho, but when he chooses to. She is fine, licking me as ever and so so loving - but I am sure they feel lonely and cant understand what is happening.

What can I do, I have read about bath bonding, but I really wouldnt be brave enough to do it, as he is very aggressive towards her now? Or will time heal. I assume its her smell from the vets that is putting him off - will this wear off and should I just keep trying.

Help I am so upset...:(

Last edited:
You need to wait for her to recover. Essentially though, he doesn't realise that she is his sister, that's all that's going on.

In a couple of weeks, when she is fully healed, then you can look to properly rebonding them, or asking a rescue to do it for a donation. I wouldn't suggest putting them together again until you're ready to bond them properly (i.e. small area, neutral territory, etc).

If you managed not to have babies, that's a complete miracle.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will wait until she is healed, maybe give it a week or so, then try again. If no luck will then take your advice on contacting a rescue centre, I didnt realise they could do it for you so thanks. I kept them separate until he was done, well they were very well supervised, so another example of them being apart - which is why it is so strange. Also I didnt mention it before, but she had gutstatus last year and was at the vets for 2-3 days, and when I brought her back, they were fine,.....they are very complicated little animals, in a nice way of course. I just wish I knew what they were thinking - thanks again.

Back