• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding possibilities - help needed please..

Ok, just a thought. If I let my bunnies go to Starlight or someone else suitable and willing to take them on does anyone have or know of a pair of neutered mini lops that I could have instead.

Please dont shout at me - just looking for best solution as I am pretty sure its a blocked tear duct problem with my sealpoint and I dont know if I can deal with that if there is a chance she can be expertly looked after.

If there is no other solution I WILL take care of her but it will be a struggle.

If you rehome your existing buns, I think most rescues would steer clear of you re-adopting one of theirs. There's no guarantee that ANY animal will remain healthy - if you are going to keep pets you may well be in this situation again in a few weeks time with a new bun/dog/cat. And a blocked tear duct really is a lesser-problem than some others you may well experience.

If you rehome your existing buns, I think most rescues would steer clear of you re-adopting one of theirs. There's no guarantee that ANY animal will remain healthy - if you are going to keep pets you may well be in this situation again in a few weeks time with a new bun/dog/cat. And a blocked tear duct really is a lesser-problem than some others you may well experience.

Totally agree :thumb:

Blocked tear ducts aren't too high maintenance. Try having them flushed by the vet in the first instance. If they are permanently blocked, then a smear of vaseline around the eye every day will stop the skin becoming sore.

So many common rabbit illnesses are VERY time consuming and difficult to treat...abscesses, bladder sludge, head tilt, urinary incontinence are all an absolute nightmare...and you will undoubtedly experience at least one of them if you keep rabbits for long enough :(

Totally agree :thumb:

Blocked tear ducts aren't too high maintenance. Try having them flushed by the vet in the first instance. If they are permanently blocked, then a smear of vaseline around the eye every day will stop the skin becoming sore.

So many common rabbit illnesses are VERY time consuming and difficult to treat...abscesses, bladder sludge, head tilt, urinary incontinence are all an absolute nightmare...and you will undoubtedly experience at least one of them if you keep rabbits for long enough :(

Hello
I have a bun with elongated tooth roots and blocked tear ducts.
She was in a pet shop and they were going to send her back to the breeder because she wasn't in a good enough conditon to sell.
Once I knew that was the case, I wanted to have her regardless of her eye!
I felt she deserved the chance to be with someone who cared and she has been with me for 7 months now.
I give her eye drops when it flares up and put sudocreme around the eye to prevent any soreness.
It will be a life-long condition to treat, but it is manageable.
She has made us so happy and I believe she is happy too!The thought of what might have happend to her just doesn't bear thinking about.
I hope you can manage to come to a desicion that is fair to your little girl too.
Good luck. xx

Bad news, I think ....

Advice please :oops:

All was going very well. Vet said wash eye twice a day and apply eyedrops and he expects to see 100% improvement in a week or so but then.......

he noticed a spot on her eye ! He wants me to take her back in 2 weeks to have a look with a special machine to see if something is imbedded ! If it is its £150 + vat......plus obviously fee for the checkup

Please has anyone had experience of this. We really want to keep her.

Advice please :oops:

All was going very well. Vet said wash eye twice a day and apply eyedrops and he expects to see 100% improvement in a week or so but then.......

he noticed a spot on her eye ! He wants me to take her back in 2 weeks to have a look with a special machine to see if something is imbedded ! If it is its £150 + vat......plus obviously fee for the checkup

Please has anyone had experience of this. We really want to keep her.

Why 2 weeks? That seems a long time to leave it if she's in pain, and even if she's not, leaving a foreign object in the eye could lead to infection.

Why 2 weeks? That seems a long time to leave it if she's in pain, and even if she's not, leaving a foreign object in the eye could lead to infection.

My daughter said she saw it when we bought her home at 8 wks. So it is probably that thats is causing all this. I am so upset and confused. Daughter wants to keep her obviously, but this is turning into a nightmare.

I know its not all about money but I have a beautiful hutch being delivered this weekend that cost me £170. After having a rabbit for 12 years without one problem I was so naive about mini lops.

Sorry I really don't know what to suggest. Glad you've taken her to be checked over unfortunately this can happen with any rabbit.

I wonder if maybe he is waiting those two weeks to get the best chance of seeing what's going on, once the infection has cleared. Has he also prescribed Metacam?

I have a few suspicions of what he could be looking for, but I don't really know enough about them to say much of anything at all, but I do know that at the rescue two buns came in with similar sounding things, and after the treatment they were rehomed and have done really well since. Their eyes look a bit funny but they show no long lasting effects.

I'm really pleased your vet was useful, but sorry that some of the news wasn't better. It doesn't sound like a blocked tear duct though, and hopefully whatever this is is not chronic and is something that can be treated.

I wonder if maybe he is waiting those two weeks to get the best chance of seeing what's going on, once the infection has cleared. Has he also prescribed Metacam?

I have a few suspicions of what he could be looking for, but I don't really know enough about them to say much of anything at all, but I do know that at the rescue two buns came in with similar sounding things, and after the treatment they were rehomed and have done really well since. Their eyes look a bit funny but they show no long lasting effects.

I'm really pleased your vet was useful, but sorry that some of the news wasn't better. It doesn't sound like a blocked tear duct though, and hopefully whatever this is is not chronic and is something that can be treated.

Do you think there is much chance of the antibiotics I have been given (fucithalmic) clearing it up and an op not needed?

Did your bunnies have an op?

If its an eye infection then I don't see why the antibios won't help. I did have one bun who had an eye infection not respond to the Fucithalmic, but he responded to his second antibio, which was Tiacil.

As for those two bunnies, I don't know. I would guess they didn't get the best care in the world, but they probably had their eyes stained and then given some appropriate medication after the problem was identified. Like I say though, now they are living happy lives (and that was a year ago) with no eye problems.

If its an eye infection then I don't see why the antibios won't help. I did have one bun who had an eye infection not respond to the Fucithalmic, but he responded to his second antibio, which was Tiacil.

As for those two bunnies, I don't know. I would guess they didn't get the best care in the world, but they probably had their eyes stained and then given some appropriate medication after the problem was identified. Like I say though, now they are living happy lives (and that was a year ago) with no eye problems.

I think the infection has been caused by this "spot". He did put dye in her eye to see it more clearly. I have a nasty feeling she is going to need an op.

Try not to jump the gun. You were convinced it was a tear duct blockage and the vet seems to think it's not. Try not to always think of the worst case scenario.

Alternatively, if she does need an op, then that might sort her out for life, so that may solve it, even if it is stressful.

I can actually see the spot on her eye. It is a tiny white pinprick. What is this most likely to be? Could the antibiotics get rid of it?

Did he put dye in her eye and then turn off the lights and look with a UV lamp at it? It sounds as if the white dot may be an ulcer - these can form if the eye gets injured at all (e.g. if it gets caught on something). Antibiotic eye drops can clear these up quite quickly but they can get more complex. The sooner it's treated the more chance there is of it clearing up on its own.

My Santa had a little ulcer on her eye a while ago, she had fucithalmic eye drops twice a day and the white dot started to shrink quite quickly. It took about a fortnight to disappear altogether and she hasn't needed any further treatment.

Hopefully it's something simple and will start to go away with the treatment you have.

I do agree with the others that I think a rescue would be reluctant to rehome to you if you give these two up because of their problems. Rabbits are so unpredictable that a perfectly healthy one today can be a very poorly one tomorrow, so there's no guarantee that you won't end up in the same situation again and again.

Glad she has seen a vet.
Operations shouldn't be necessary. I have had scratches to Toffee's eye and one of my guinea pigs (Buzz/aka Salem) and they cleared up very soon. The vet said if it doesn't clear then maybe a simple op to get rid of the scratch so it doesn't cause infection.
Sounds like something easily treatable to be honest, post op checkups at a lot of vets are free :)

Did he put dye in her eye and then turn off the lights and look with a UV lamp at it? It sounds as if the white dot may be an ulcer - these can form if the eye gets injured at all (e.g. if it gets caught on something). Antibiotic eye drops can clear these up quite quickly but they can get more complex. The sooner it's treated the more chance there is of it clearing up on its own.

My Santa had a little ulcer on her eye a while ago, she had fucithalmic eye drops twice a day and the white dot started to shrink quite quickly. It took about a fortnight to disappear altogether and she hasn't needed any further treatment.

Hopefully it's something simple and will start to go away with the treatment you have.

I do agree with the others that I think a rescue would be reluctant to rehome to you if you give these two up because of their problems. Rabbits are so unpredictable that a perfectly healthy one today can be a very poorly one tomorrow, so there's no guarantee that you won't end up in the same situation again and again.

Thanks for this reply it gives me some hope.

Yes, he put dye in and turned of lights. wants me to go back in one to two weeks so he can have a look with some sort of special machine to see if anything is inbedded. I really hope not as he quoted £150 + vat for op. The breeded did say she had poked her eye with hay as a babe so do you think there is a good change the antibiotics will heal it like yours? Did yours look like mine? Barely noticable small white pinprick?

Glad she has seen a vet.
Operations shouldn't be necessary. I have had scratches to Toffee's eye and one of my guinea pigs (Buzz/aka Salem) and they cleared up very soon. The vet said if it doesn't clear then maybe a simple op to get rid of the scratch so it doesn't cause infection.
Sounds like something easily treatable to be honest, post op checkups at a lot of vets are free :)

Not mine, already asked. £36 today and no doubt same again in weeks time. But if she doesnt need an op and it goes away that would be great.

Not mine, already asked. £36 today and no doubt same again in weeks time. But if she doesnt need an op and it goes away that would be great.

If she were to have an op they would charge for a follow up checkup? That is strange.
If it is ongoing then it should be less. At my vets its £17.50 for your first trip, then it decreases each time with the same associated problem.

Vet has said use fucithalmic just once a day to me. Is this because she is a baby? Could I pop in 2 lots a day to encourage healing?

BTW We are keeping her :) I am also on the look out for a millionaire if anyone knows of one ;)

If she were to have an op they would charge for a follow up checkup? That is strange.
If it is ongoing then it should be less. At my vets its £17.50 for your first trip, then it decreases each time with the same associated problem.

Sorry, I thought you meant for the next check up. Dont know about after op.

Todays bill fee 19.95, antibiotic and pipette 11.71, Vat 4.65 total 35.61

Back