• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Help!!!

You should get her spayed and then either keep her as only a pet or rehome her most does won't take care of any litters if they don't care for one

sounds like she's not meant to be a mother i wouldn't breed her again but i don't see why you have to spay her unless of course you want her to live with a buck.:wave:

Okay here we go again :roll:, we had a doe who is now 7 years old has she been spayed no has she got uterine cancer no is she happily bonded with a neutered buck without having to go through the uncomfortable and painful and stressful procedure yes do you even think about how the procedure is so much more painful for a doe than a buck . I know plenty of doe's who are not bred with and quite happy not being spayed either and they've never had uterine cancer the only reason i would have a doe spayed is like the reason i'm having my doe spayed because when she comes into season she makes noises she bites she scratches and in a lot of distress but if she wasn't like that she'd stay as she is is there anything else a thew of you seem to have a problem with or are we done ?

p.s sorry to hijack your thread.

Okay here we go again :roll:, we had a doe who is now 7 years old has she been spayed no has she got uterine cancer no is she happily bonded with a neutered buck without having to go through the uncomfortable and painful and stressful procedure yes do you even think about how the procedure is so much more painful for a doe than a buck . I know plenty of doe's who are not bred with and quite happy not being spayed either and they've never had uterine cancer the only reason i would have a doe spayed is like the reason i'm having my doe spayed because when she comes into season she makes noises she bites she scratches and in a lot of distress but if she wasn't like that she'd stay as she is is there anything else a thew of you seem to have a problem with or are we done ?

Calm down! "Are we done?" lol! Why so defensive? Foxyfaerie was only informing the thread starter of the reasons for getting a doe spayed.

Last edited:

With all respect have you ever had a PM done on an unspayed doe who has died? Spaying is a personal choice and some choose to take the risk of their doe developing uterine cancer and some don't. I don't condemn people for whatever choice they make..it's entirely up to them and wouldn't criticise either way.

However, I have to say that to presume your rabbit or those that you know of have not gone on to develop cancer means that you must be able to see straight through them. Uterine cancer does not always present symptoms...that's why it's called a 'silent killer' and studies show that most rabbits who die around 6+ have developed cancer and died as a result. Some may have shown clinical signs, some not. Like I say, it's up to you whether or not you spay your doe but please don't insist that people do otherwise just because your rabbit and those around you have supposedly not gone on to develop cancer. :roll:

My unspayed netherland dwaft died age 7 of uterine cancer :( I didn't know about spaying then, I was too young and stupid but the poor thing must have suffered terribly :(

Last edited:

Excuse me...am I done?

I've had two does die of cancer; that's two too many regardless of how many people have the exception to the rule.

Yes, it's a couple of uncomfortable days for a doe; but I'd rather put her through that than risk her being in agony with cancer and not even knowing.

Please think about the way you post your replies, that goes for everyone.

Unless you want the thread locked of course.

:shock: I found that speying my does was best for them as I found it heart breaking enough for them when they had false pregnancies :( rushing around with loads of hay expecting a litter that will never come. That was sad enough but I'd over and over again put any does i have through the spey to see them much more relaxed and content now, and that is all in addition to eliminating the risk of uterine cancer.
If you don't agree with speying your own then fine, but I dont understand such a defensive reaction to someone who is expressing a very valid point with regard to the benefit speying :?

I am very sorry for acting so defensive i'm not good at keeping my cool i need anger management lol just ask my mum. I completly understand what your saying about uterine cancer i tend to think of saying something say it then end up with it coming out wrong i have issues with being defensive i'm a bit hot headed still no excuse. Sorry again for causing upset hope i can be forgiven :wave:

I am very sorry for acting so defensive i'm not good at keeping my cool i need anger management lol just ask my mum. I completly understand what your saying about uterine cancer i tend to think of saying something say it then end up with it coming out wrong i have issues with being defensive i'm a bit hot headed still no excuse. Sorry again for causing upset hope i can be forgiven :wave:

Don't worry; I'm sure we can all be like that at times; it's why I'm glad there's a preview button! :lol: (and an edit button too!)

Back