• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bowls full of food

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Thought best to post in here for this one.

My new job gives their rabbits big bowls of rabbit food available 24/7 normally 2 bowls to a cage (even if it's only 2 rabbits).

As a result the poos are tiny, near enough black and most aren't properly formed.

I tried bringing up a change but was told they've always done it this way and it couldn't be changed.

What can I do? The main manager isn't back until I don't know when - and the current manager is useless.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Is there any information available from eg RWAF - something you can print out about diet and pictures of nice big golden poo?

Or FHB's website -
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/the-problem-with-muesli-mixes-1

FHB's diet sheets are fairly new. There's nothing specifically about 'good' poo or full bowls of food - but it does show what should be fed, the results of poor diet, etc.

If you can't leave some info today, you have some backup references from one of THE rabbit experts. You can always forward them on.

PM me where you are working and I'll try and pop in and mention it. If more than one person is saying it then surely they have to listen?

I would also be show them what 'good' poo looks like - bag up half a dozen nice big golden ones in a small ziplock bag, and the same for ones at work - just to demonstrate you know what you are talking about, attach to appropriate diet sheets and put them somewhere they can't be missed - staff noticeboard? by the till? On the rabbit enclosures? Manager's desk? - depending on how long you are stopping there.:lol:

They wanted you there for your skills and experience. No point in ignoring them....especially if you are being messed about and may walk anyway. The bunnies may benefit even if you don't.

How frustrating but also an opportunity to make a difference. Excellent advice from Shimmer. I'd choose a good time, ask for 5 minutes of their time to discuss something

If you're in your first few days, might they feel resentful that you are coming straight in and telling them they're wrong... especially if they are?

Well I've been basically told to get screwed today.

I haven't been able to bring this up with them sadly.

They are aware they are feeding too much but apparently the customers get upset if there isn't always a bowl full of food.

I'll give it a few months then pop back with tons of information. I'll also make all the customers aware at that meeting how bad the faeces is.

The rabbits are around 7-8 weeks - but I don't feel they should be given 500g of food per day as they aren't eating any hay at all (maybe 1 or two strands I saw in a 9 hour period)

Sorry to hear this, DP. I do sympathise with the customer side of things, having worked in animal related retail jobs. I remember countless times when we'd have a batch of fish delivered that weren't right and had to be taken off sale, being constantly informed we had sick fish and should do something about it (it's a wonder any of us were aware, what with a sign on the tank saying off sale and undergoing treatment plus lights on the individual tank off!) to the point as staff, we really felt these would be better off view, while our highers said they didn't want to appear to be 'hiding anything'. One of my friends worked in the small animal department, and she was very very good. But she got the same - countless crappy comments about the animals having 'no food' - 'because hay was bedding NOT food' :roll:

It sounds as if in this case, they are choosing the 'easy option' - at a cost to the buns. If they are selling rabbits, as a 'reputable' seller, they should be committed to welfare & the correct husbandry, and changing attitudes of the public which leads to (and encourages) this EXACT kind of thing. It's their duty to change attitudes! Our shop had pond fish (including the humble common goldfish) outdoors in the pond section and none in tanks indoors, in an effort to discourage people from viewing them as childrens pets for horrendously small tanks. We'd still get countless requests for a goldfish from the outdoor section, and when they had kids in tow, immediately knew what it was for. When asked the size of their pond, they'd say it was a bowl, or small tank. Of course we'd refuse. We did have a problem with a fellow member of staff selling them for indoor small tanks despite being told not to. We caught him in the act a couple of times and reported it.

One day, a couple with their kids came in wanting to replace the goldfish that had died. When asked how big the tank was - it was 30 litres, and they'd been sold two - from my colleague!! :cry: I had to refuse the sale and explain why. I of course offered a refund but they gave me a load of abuse because of my colleague. I told them I would report it to manager and get him to contact them if they liked, and I was taking it seriously as it was indeed a problem for staff and customer alike. But the damage was done.

I guess my point is - if someones buys a rabbit from them and it becomes sick etc because of the wrong diet, this place will be held responsible by the customer.They need to think of this too. I can't tell you how much abuse I've suffered at the hands of customers in trying to do the right thing, so I do understand. I'm talking daily - name calling, swore at etc because I wouldn't sell fish that were too big for their tanks. I remained strong until I finished, but I was not well by the end of it.

I never really had the problem when I previously working in pet retail though.
I changed the diet to something more suitable (egg cup of food, unlimited hay changed 2/3 times daily, fresh veg/forage daily) - within two weeks customers understood why with all the info & my customers were informing new customers why there were no bowls of dry food to be seen etc. I don't see why they can't do it for this place too - customers soon learn (and end of day, they're not in the customers care)

It's good you didn't have the same experience. Mine was over years (different species, I know) but still. Even other local fish shops had joined in with the goldfish not being sold for small tanks issue. I was on good terms with the owner of this 'rival shop' (great guy, really responsible seller). He posted the other day that he is STILL having problems with it, daily. He has huge signs up in his shop stating the situation, and explains to them, as we did.

I wonder how the staff in your shop would view the 6x2x2ft hutch situation, dp? Perhaps we had an unusual situation, but talking to others I doubt it. Only a handful of customers opened their ears to us - and some of those customers became my friends as they were so pleased they found out why their fish were dying etc and we very appreciative to me. Unfortunately, such was extremely rare.

Customers are the hard part. Animals and doing what's right for them, should be easy. I absolutely agree they should not be taking the easy way out, it's cowardly.

I never really had the problem when I previously working in pet retail though.
I changed the diet to something more suitable (egg cup of food, unlimited hay changed 2/3 times daily, fresh veg/forage daily) - within two weeks customers understood why with all the info & my customers were informing new customers why there were no bowls of dry food to be seen etc. I don't see why they can't do it for this place too - customers soon learn (and end of day, they're not in the customers care)

Yeah, I don't see why they can't put signs up explaining to customers why the food bowls might be empty. I know prior to having rabbits myself and even in the earlier stages of ownership, i wouldn't have known they only need a small amount of pellets. It would help to educate people rather than just doing what they might expect x

I can always send them tons of information. It's just a shame as they're good in the sense they don't sell social animals individually (rabbits, guineas, birds, gerbils, rats must be sold in pairs unless they have one already at home - in which case they like to see pics etc)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back