• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boots and Animal Testing

Suzanne

Mama Doe
I noticed a while ago that Boots don't state that their home brands that they are not tested on animals anymore. I checked out BUAV site and they weren't listed so i wrote to them asking what thier policies were, why they don't state that they don't test, and asking if they have plans to stop testing and use a fixed cut of date for their ingrediants. I feel that they are misleading their customers.

anyway i got a letter back from the this morning saying that Boots do not test any of their own brand products on animals. BUT.....

As we do not want to mislead our customers we do not state 'not tested on animals' on Boots products as this could lead our customers to believe that all materials used in our products are free from animal testing

The letter never mentioned anything about stopping testing and adopting a fixed cut of date.

I have now boycotted Boots. For years I really believed they were a good company and were commited to end animal testing. I used to choose Boots own brand over premium brands for this reason. Now i feel cheated. I feel that companies should have to state on the packaging whether a product or its ingrediants have been tested on animals - that way customers can make an informed choice.

Now I always check the back of the products to see if they have a cruelty free statement. I order most cosmetic products online now from BUAV approved companies. Although I do still find it difficult to buy household cleaning products that are free from testing.

Sainsburys own brand household and toiletry products are not tested on animals! The labels say so!

I use them! Loads cheaper than the big brands too, and work just as well!

Thats one thing you have to be really careful about because some products and companes do state "not tested on animals" BUT like boots ingredients within that product ARE tested on animals. So you have to be really careful and check that it states that the product and ingredients have not been tested. It's rubbish isn't it. I know Lush have got a campaighn going at the moment becuase the EU want to make companies test ingredients on animals and obviousely they are against it.

co-op own brands of toiletrys and cleaning products are not tested on animals (most are also free from animal ingrediants not sure how eco friendly they are though. :? )

for household cleaning i find that vinegar or lemonjuice work just as well as most commerical cleaning products.

maxxev said:
for household cleaning i find that vinegar or lemonjuice work just as well as most commerical cleaning products.

I agree - I use white vinegar and lemon juice to clean the house (and the hutches) with. It's really effective and because it's so acidic it kills all the bugs. It's totally environmentally friendly and the smell doesn't linger (so your house won't stink of vinegar forever! :lol:).

AMETHYST

Naturewatch do a list of approved companies in the Compassionate Shopping Guide http://www.naturewatch.org/index.asp . They are not quite as strict as BUAV in terms of the proof they require but they still must have a fixed cut off date etc.

I haven't bought Boots own brand for years as I heard that they have big labs used for animal testing of ingredients in France. Generally if it's not on a 'safe' list I avoid it!

For the people who like Lush, they have a sister company which does the most gorgeous cosmetics, B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful http://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=l2j8p8ga3ljhecfutoetiim530

Molton Brown isn't cruelty free :shock: Me and my mam used to use this all the time, there soaps. I'm going to have to find out what else tests on animals and change my range :?

Didn't know this about Boots. Someone did a link either on here that showed the companies that do not test on animals. I was surprised that my toothbrush company (oral B) is now owned by a company that tests on animals as well as a lot of shampoos (tresemme). I need to look at the list again.

Well at least I guess Boots have taken off the 'not tested on animals' unlike other companies who say vague things like 'the finished product is not tested on animals' - code for "but all the ingredients and combinations of ingredients are..."

I'm not 100% convinced by the Fixed cut off date methodology of determining cruelty free. I totally agree with the concept, but much more concur with the Lush philosophy. The FCOD doesn't give ingredients or manufacturing companies who do still test on animals any incentive to stop - as the BUAV-type approved ones won't be able to use the ingredients anyway even if they did stop now.

Whereas if Lush say "if you stop testing on animals, we will buy from you, if you start again, we will stop buying from you" - has a direct impact on people's business right now in an immediate way. I think that is far more likely to give a real business case to companies to stop testing on animals. If they stop testing on animals, they can get new business. That's not the case for companies complying with the FCOD.

raine said:
Didn't know this about Boots. Someone did a link either on here that showed the companies that do not test on animals. I was surprised that my toothbrush company (oral B) is now owned by a company that tests on animals as well as a lot of shampoos (tresemme). I need to look at the list again.

colgate test on animals too :evil:
kingfisher do a great tasting fennel toothpaste (tastes like aniseed! :D ...they do 'normal' mint tasting ones too..or try the co-op own brand of toothpaste)

I buy colgate toothpaste :roll: I need to check the lists and stop buying from these people.

I signed a petition over 20 years ago saying I would not shop in Boots because they test on animals...and I still don't go into Boots.

I buy Co-op cleaning products, washing powder, shower creams etc as they have the BUAV bunny symbol on them and I know they are cruelty free.

Avoid Proctor and Gamble, they are raditionally known for their soaps and detergents, P&G now produce a massive range of products in hair care, cosmetics, perfumes, personal hygiene, laundry care, snack food, paper and feminine hygiene, and even pet food. P&G’s brands include Ariel, Daz, Fairy, Max Factor, Olay, Pantene Pro-V, Herbal Essences, and Head and Shoulders.

Proctor &Gamble admit that guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, ferrets, rats and mice are among the animals used in their ‘product safety research’, as well as cats and dogs in pet food experiments.

Rabswood

Body Shop are on the bad list :shock:
Just looking at some body lotion I have from them and it says "We don't believe in animal testing" on it, but it doesn't actually say that the product/ingrediants hasn't been tested on animals :?

boots and animal testing

A lot of these companies claim that they do NOT test their prodcuts on animals BUT they pay other companies usually in China (who have an appalling record on animal welfare) to test their products for them :shock: :evil: :evil:
A very misleading and sneaky way of getting around the problem of finding a way NOT to use animal testing on their products :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

also if they say 'product not tested on animals' it means the finished product and not the ingredients themselves
apparently.
No animale testing is better.
BUT
HOW can we KNOW for SURE they're not tested somewhere down the line?
methinks we should make our own stuff lmao

boots

i work i manufacturing at boots head office factories in nottingham, and as has already been pointed out, Boots products are NOT tested on animals, however, i will make it a goal for today to find out what suppliers we use do test on animals!

Proctor & Gamble own a hell of a lot of the stuff that is on the market :roll:

I read somewhere a while ago, can't remember for the life of me where, that there was some doubt over the ingredients used in Ecover products which carry the Bunny logo :?

Back