• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two young rabbits

I bought two 8 week old rabbits 3 weeks ago, one passed away the other day. I didn’t want my rabbit Mark to be lonely, so I bought another one, Johnson. Mark is now 11 weeks old and Johnson is 8 weeks old.

I’ve put their cages next to each other and I’m looking to start bonding them, though I’ve only had Johnson a few days, is it okay to start bonding them? Or should I get Johnson settle in for a few days more? It also says online that you should get them neutered before letting them bond, however it also says if they’re under 12 weeks they can start living together.

I don’t want to do this wrong and stress them out and one get ill or even worse die. Any advice will be much appreciated and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

I am sorry that you lost one of your Rabbits. Do you know th cause of death ? I only ask as you would not be wanting to introduce any new Rabbits to Mark if there were to be any chance that he was incubating a disease such as RHD or Coccidiosis. New intakes should be quarantined away from any other Rabbits for at least 2 weeks anyway to ensure they are not bringing in any illnesses. This is especially true for Baby Rabbits as far as coccidiosis is concerned. Bonding prepubescent Rabbits is possible BUT as soon as their hormones kick in things can changed dramatically and fighting can occur. Hence the advice to wait until both Rabbits have been neutered. Then you need to wait another 6-8 weeks to allow the post neutering hormone surges that can occur to settle down.

If you do put the two together be prepared to have to separate them and house them apart once they hit puberty. If they fight they can do serious damage, Bucks have been known to rip the testicles from the Buck they are fighting with. Also if they fight prior to neutering it is usually more difficult to bond them after neutering, they seldom forget a fight.

We’re not 100% sure what the problem was, we believe that he had a defect of some sort. He has GI stasis and received after medication from the vet, he was a happy bunny again after being ill though he lost a lot of weight. Then about a week later I found him one evening sort of the fitting/having spasms, when a few hours before he was fine and he was eating drinking jumping around etc, then all of a sudden he just passed away. The whole time Mark has been a happy healthy bunny he’s had no problems at all.

I’ve put Johnson and Marks cages next to each other, should I take them away if they should be quarantined? Will they get depressed?

If I do wait until they are neutered, will they be okay to be alone in the mean time. I will be spending time with both of them, but I know that they sort of need another bunny companion. Would it be best for them to wait until they get neutered, will they have a better chance of getting on once they are neutered?

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Inspector Morse has given you spot-on advice. 2 male Rabbits are almost certain to fight at around 14 weeks, or earlier and they will be fine if they have to be on their own. The younger one might miss Mum and siblings for a short time but boys usually adjust well. It is usually better to have a boy/girl pair as they get along much easier but it isn't impossible to bond 2 boys, don't allow any aggression between bars. You might just be lucky to find your younger one is a girl so keep checking occasionally.

Back