• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Sue has commenced

Aaaw, thanks for the suggestions, Raine. I am on an interest only mortgage anyway and have no means of paying it back when the term ends.

I had lodgers for 20 years and, although I had three that were great, the rest of them were a nightmare and it got so I was scared to come home :(

I live in my bedroom mostly so don't need a three bedroom house. I also don't have a bath, just a shower. I don't have a toilet upstairs and going up and down the stairs in the night to use the loo is a pain - literally as I have arthritis of the knees!

I live in a terrace and half the neighbours aren't talking to the other half and I know a lot of them don't like my cats.

I love my house in many ways and it will be a wrench to move but I think I will be happier in somewhere a bit smaller with a bigger garden for my fur family. I'd love a shed and run set up for the buns and to get some chickens and also want to do bunny boarding in the future.

When I was watching the buns (and the TV) last night I noticed that Molly jumped in the litter tray with Sue and spent ages with her. I thought she was biting her but fought my instinct to rush over and 'rescue' Sue as I noticed Sue was nomming a broccoli stem, totally unconcerned. She didn't move away from Molly so I just left them, although Molly seemed very rough. I checked Sue later and there are no bite marks so I think Molly was grooming Sue:love:

Molly is my 'motherly' bun who has had at least one litter (went to rescue pregnant). She is the one I thought would probably be kinder to Sue.

When I fed them earlier all four crowded around the dish and nobun tried to exclude Sue.

I did go to bed last night about 1.30 am and got up and checked on them about 5.00 am when I went to the loo and they were fine. I am on-call tonight and if I get called in I will have to decide whether to leave them or put the divider up. If things remain as they are at the moment I will leave them.

I just worry about Sue, Angie, as I know she is poorly and she is quite thin now. She is actually eating more now than she did when she was on her own so I think she is happier with bunny company. I just so want them all to accept her.

Aaaw, thanks for the suggestions, Raine. I am on an interest only mortgage anyway and have no means of paying it back when the term ends.

I had lodgers for 20 years and, although I had three that were great, the rest of them were a nightmare and it got so I was scared to come home :(

I live in my bedroom mostly so don't need a three bedroom house. I also don't have a bath, just a shower. I don't have a toilet upstairs and going up and down the stairs in the night to use the loo is a pain - literally as I have arthritis of the knees!

I live in a terrace and half the neighbours aren't talking to the other half and I know a lot of them don't like my cats.

I love my house in many ways and it will be a wrench to move but I think I will be happier in somewhere a bit smaller with a bigger garden for my fur family. I'd love a shed and run set up for the buns and to get some chickens and also want to do bunny boarding in the future.

When I was watching the buns (and the TV) last night I noticed that Molly jumped in the litter tray with Sue and spent ages with her. I thought she was biting her but fought my instinct to rush over and 'rescue' Sue as I noticed Sue was nomming a broccoli stem, totally unconcerned. She didn't move away from Molly so I just left them, although Molly seemed very rough. I checked Sue later and there are no bite marks so I think Molly was grooming Sue:love:

Molly is my 'motherly' bun who has had at least one litter (went to rescue pregnant). She is the one I thought would probably be kinder to Sue.

When I fed them earlier all four crowded around the dish and nobun tried to exclude Sue.

I did go to bed last night about 1.30 am and got up and checked on them about 5.00 am when I went to the loo and they were fine. I am on-call tonight and if I get called in I will have to decide whether to leave them or put the divider up. If things remain as they are at the moment I will leave them.

I just worry about Sue, Angie, as I know she is poorly and she is quite thin now. She is actually eating more now than she did when she was on her own so I think she is happier with bunny company. I just so want them all to accept her.

awww ... it sounds like its going good so far .. :D

its no good me saying dont worry ...im a big worrier myself so i know what its like . :?:roll:

My thoughts are that although Sue is thin ...and is a poorly bun in some ways ... she obviously still loves life and other buns .

it may be harder to monitor her food intake in a group but at least she will be happy ...and a couple of months being happy in a group is better than a year by herself in a hutch .

if in the end it doesnt work and she has to be alone then so be it ...but at least you will have tried . :D

I'm no expert, but it sounds promising :D:love:

Aaaw - I just went and cleaned and vaccuumed the pen (Sue is the only one who is litter trained) and changed their litter trays and Molly jumped in the one Sue is usually in. Dylan was flopped on Munchkin and Sue jumped in the other litter tray, leant on Dylan and nommed the hay off his back (he got in the way when I was filling the trays) - and he let her:love:

So, I have three buns all snuggled together with Molly watching maternally from the other end of the pen.

If this works I will be one VERY happy Bunny Mummy.

Sue is definitely happier now she has bunny company, even though she isn't getting the tasty noms she was getting as I don't want the others to eat bread or oats. I will have to start trying to feed her separately if the bond does work or she will lose more weight but for now she will have to eat the same as the others.

Thanks Beckie. I hope so.

Thanks, Angie. Your input means a lot as I wouldn't have been lucky enough to have had Peggy and Sue if you hadn't rehomed to me. I felt so bad after Peggy died.

I agree with you about Sue. I know every day with her is a bonus - and I do monitor her closely - but she still has a joie de vivre about her. I don't want her to spend her last days or weeks or months alone. She was just so sad and barely eating. Now, she dashes up to the food dish as soon as I put it in the pen - she has to or there won't be any left:)

I guess I felt worried about trying to bond her with the three as my vet advised against it and suggested a pair but I don't have room for three indoors and Furby and Faye are only a recent bond and I didn't want to risk ending up with three single buns - and not enough accommodation to house them. I went with my instincts - and when Debbie saw the buns she agreed with me.

I was nearly in tears just now seeing Sue grooming Dylan (even though I know it was for hay). He is a Very Old Bun with arthritic back legs and he looked like he was enjoying having a new lady in his life:love:

There are now four buns huddled in one end of the pen. Dylan and Sue do seem to be getting on well. They were face snuggling just now:love: Maybe as he is elderly and not very fit himself he can recognise her vulnerablilty? Or perhaps I am anthromorphasising (or whatever that word is:))

Munchkin is ignoring her. I did think if I had a problem it would be with Munchkin. She is one of Molly's daughters and the youngest of the three buns.

I am leaving them for a while and getting on with other things. I think me constantly staring at them was stressing them out as none of them are used to having me around so much being outdoor buns. I don't have any music on so I can hear if they are chasing each other. One of them just threw the metal food dish around the run - probably not happy it is empty:) I went dashing in there and the bunnies were calmly sitting down and were clearly thinking what a strange Bunny Mummy I am!!!:)

Haven't been around much but just popping in to see how things are going! :wave:

It sounds good! At least Munchkin is ignoring her and not being aggressive? Bless Molly and Dylan! :love: xx

More (( hugs )) to you - you're doing really well! :D

And am sorry about your money issues. Life's just so rubbish sometimes! :(

Hope whatever you do goes well for you 'cos you deserve it.

Glad to hear its going well so far. Must be such a lovely sight seeing them all snuggled up together! :love: Vibes for it continuing to go so well xx

Well, I was called in to work and am likely to be here for most of the night so just hope the bunnies are all OK.

The last couple of times I checked on them Sue was amongst the other three and she was grooming Molly:love:

Sue just looks so much happier now. It's difficult to put into words how she has changed but even if this bond doesn't work I know that Sue can't be kept alone. It would be cruel.

Thank you all for your support and lovely comments. It means a lot xx

oh karen hun im so pleased:love:

sorry didnt txt....down to my last £3 credit..trying not to top up til beginning of march...mmm dont think itll last:oops::lol:

see hun....you just needed to go with the flow....the buns are the ones to guide you...and like i said..this bonding cannot have the same rules as all the other bonds youve done.
The vet thought he was being right as it usually states everywhere..pairs.....

well i had hoped to have two pairs or a foursome and look what happened!! Nothing is by the book ever..you know your buns likei told you..have heart...trust your instincts...and the buns body language xx

i really feel for you having to leave her....but sounds as though things are moving forward at their own pace...and hopefully a bond will be a strong one.

i found when oscar died..my poor bif she had a near nervous breakdown..and four days later she refused her food and just lay there....omg my half brother said..shes going to die...

when jo arrived with bertie..even the scent of him in the doorway in a carrier got her up on her feet..she scoffed some pellets and hay and did a big heap of poop.
like i said bertie was only on loan till i could hear back from our nearest rescue...which i wouldnt be able to get to anyway:( but bertie adored bif..she had a love hate relationship..then they were snugglebuns:love:

each situation is different.....i have learnt that too....so good on you..good on the buns!

by the way karen..have you room for a certain blue and white bossy moo who seems to be developing spring fever:shock::lol::lol: i couldnt get back online..without a roll of insulation tape...no..not bluebell and my laptop cable:roll::lol:

that carrier i gave you would fit the buns in a squish....nowhere to run and hide...once round the block;)

This is so much more positive than when you were worried about Sue over the last couple of weeks. I'm so glad all seems to be going well and she is brighter with some bunny company again!

Really hope she stay's bonded with her new bunny friends What a great bunny mum you are !! I'm hoping to get a fella for my three girls so will be going through the bonding again soon.

Your a true inspiration x

I finally got home at 3.30 am. I work at a SARC (Sexual Abuse Referral Centre) and it was a very busy night. I am shattered and am taking the day off my day job as annual leave. I need sleep!!!!!!!

When I got home all looked calm. I gave them some more food (I know I am a bad Bunny Mummy but I felt guilty leaving them for so long).

Have just got up to feed all the zoo and Sue was first at the trough:) Nobun is pushing her aside and she seems to slowly be more accepted. She was face snuggling with Dylan again too.

Munchkin still seems to be ignoring her - but at least she isn't attacking her. I did put a few oats in by Sue and Munchkin went to sit by her side and share them and all was well!! I will probably give it until the weekend before moving them back outside. I need to neutralise the area which will take a while.

I am so proud of my buns and the way they have accepted Sue into their fold. I know it is early days yet and still could go horribly wrong but I am hopeful it is going to work out.

Considering Sue is a poorly bun she is very spirited and really wants to make the most of life. She is such a gorgeous bun and was devestated when we lost Peggy. Seeing her with other buns is wonderful.

I was talking to one of the police officers about the buns last night as I was worrying about how they were doing and I got an odd look. I guess 'bonding bunnies' does sound a bit odd if you are not a rabbit person:oops:

Thats such good news. I missed this over the weekend and came looking for it.

I'm so glad they are slowly accepting her. Just sounds like it could take a while longer :)

More good bond vibes :love:

Thanks Gray.

I slept most of yesterday after working nine hours Sun night and every time I checked on the buns they were just sitting. I think they are bored being stuck in a tiny pen in the lounge:(

I won't get time to neutralise their area until the weekend though and I don't think it will do any harm keeping them in until then to make sure all is well.

Sue is now usually to be found in the group, but her body is always quite flat or low down, if that makes sense? I thought she had gone to the Bridge yesterday as I couldn't see her head (she was in the middle of the others) and she looked like she wasn't breathing. When I went to stroke her, she was clearly fine - just very relaxed.

I don't know how I know if they are 'bonded' but hopefully if all continues to go well by the weekend it will be OK to put them all back outside.

I can extend the pen a tiny amount and will do that tomorrow or Thursday but it's still a much smaller area than they are all used to:(

I've got a couple of tunnels I bought on offer in PAH so may put one of those in the pen to give them something to do. They are completely neutral as still in their cover. They will be having both of them in their run outside:)

The local market is here today so I am going to see if I can get some reasonably priced carrots with tops for them as a treat and have started scattering their pellets too so they have to forage for them. I don't like seeing bored buns.

That sounds really positive Rhianna :)

Sounds like Sue is really enjoying bunny company again :love: and that the group has accepted her quite well.

I appreciate what you mean about the 'boredom' side of things - i thought this with B&G when i was bonding them, but it turned out alrght :)

I really hope it continues to go well, and look forward to updates!

I'm so glad things ahve gone well and its given Sue a new lease of life :D LE'ts hope it continues!

Back