• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Success at last!!

Hi

I have been attempting to bond my 2 neutered male rabbits since last October following all the advise like bringing in on neutral ground, car rides together and so on.

I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Phil who offered great advice and was a massive help in starting this process and giving me the confidence to carry on.

This was all going well but as the areas they were in were large one was just running off while the other chased and I was never brave enough to let them get on with things........

Until I read your advice Cheryl I was messing around a little delaying things afraid of moving too quick, at the weekend I bit the bullet and have made real progress.

I decided enough was enough they get on well indoors, time to disinfect the shed totally and try them in together. I put them in and sat outside watching them as Lolly chased Buster pulling hair out while Buster cowered in the corner, I had to be strong I thought there was no fighting so I let them get on with things and stopped myself from seperating them like I did before when Lolly started hair pulling.

I checked on them every 30 mins after being outside for nearly 3 hours and they started to settle down and eat, even caught them asleep next to each other!

4 days on and things are going really well, there is no more hair pulling or thumping, Lolly has decided to start mounting Buster but there is no fighting he soon gets bored and stops. They share the same food bowl, eat treats together and cleanse one another - I could not ask for more.

I know it is still early days and I am constantly checking on them to ensure all is well but i must just say a huge THANK YOU for the great posts on the board which have given me the confidence to bring them back together - it is fantastic to see and they have stopped looking lonely and cuddle up when things get dark.

Hopefully things will stay like this but am cautious and always checking to make sure they have not fought :D

Hope all continues to go well. Phill has nerves of steel when it comes to bonding :D I sat on a chair in the middle of it all for hours when i bonded my ones. Spent all the time saying "now...be nice" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done! I'm such a wimp when it comes to the possibility of fighting buns. When I get a boyfriend for Daisy, the rescue will be bonding them for me, no matter how much they want to charge me for the pleasure :lol: .

congratulations! i'm so jealous.

i'm a total wimp with bonding and i've given up until we go see gwen at bunny burrows.

well done you.

Well they have been together for over a week now and they are going from strength to strength.

Apart from the first day there has been no more hair pulling, they follow each other around all day long looking at what the other is doing!

Yesterday when I got home they were both in such a deep sleep lying on top of one another they did not even wake up when I slammed the car door which has never happend!

So far they seem really contented although in the back of my mind I do still worry that things may take a turn and am always wary and check them over to ensure there are no gashes!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aww, sounds like a perfect match. I'm glad you've got them together. I bet you're having fun watching them interact. I can sit and watch my two for hours :D

Tam

Back