• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding our mini lop buck with new kitten! any advise and suggestions very welcome!

Kristina

New Kit
Hi Guys!
this is on bonding of our mini lop 1.5 years old buck, Kevin and new kitten, Russian Blue cross, Rosie.

we got Rosie on Saturday, 12th November so she is with us almost a week now. Kevin is a big dominant buck who's been the only and very loved and spoilt pet for a while. we live in a large flat.
what i've done for the bonding to begive safely:
Kevin's cage is in the livingroom. however Kevin is entire free range and we never close him in his cage. so he has the roam of the livingroom to himself. so what i've done is put up a little metal fence, kinda like a baby barrier in the door way to the living room. so Kevin has the roam of livingroom and Rosie the rest of the house. its a metal little fence so they can see and smell each other safely through it.
Kevin knew right away that there is another creature in his domain but the fence i think made him feel more secure and he could observe her and get used to seeing and smelling her safely.
also, on the second night i've swaped their bedding. so the towel that Kevin sleeps in i put in Rosie's bed and Rosie's towel from her bed i've put in Kevin's bed. He knew right away it smelled of her. the next day i saw his passed out on his side right on this towel! so thats a good sign that he is learning that her smell is not theatening to her. i've continued the swap of bedding between then everynight.
i've also done extensive research on bonding techniques between rabbit to rabbit and rabbits to other animals. as far as i understood the technique is pretty much the same. i also read that its good if rabits get a chance to choose their own mates, kinda like speed dating as they smell whoever fits them most. well for those of you who read my previous thread on the story with Lily, i belive that Kevin 'likes' Rosie more. Or maybe its just due to me handling all this with a better approach this time.
anyways, i'bve decided to do the dating tachnique with them. ive waited 3 days of them getting used to each other with the flat being separated by the metal fence. so they know each other's smells by the time they meet in 'person' and dont freak out too much. Rosie is facinated by Kevin but also very cautious of him.
Tuesday, date N1:
we took them both to the corridor which is a neuteral territory for them, especially Kevin. i put a plate of greenery for Kevin to munch on as i read that eating is a social thing for rabbits. he was content and eat his food. then went around all the trecks where Rosie went smelling her sent. there was no aggressive behaviour displayed by eaither of them. the date lasted 10-15mins.
Wednesday, date N2:
this time ive decided to do it in the study as its a bigger space then the corridor and has a carpet for firmer grip for Kevin. it went well, kevin eat his hay. but then he went all quiet in the corner. i think that he felt a little trappen in the room as the door was closed and maybe felt a little threatened and cornedred. so i openened the door to the corridor giving them bigger space. Kevin cheered up and started exploring around. then ate his hay ball. when he eats in he tears it apart and Rosie things its a game and starts jumping on the hay ball. i was really nervous that it would startle Kevin but eventhough she jumped right in front of his face he did nothing, just smelled her. she also passed by him very closely that his face was in her fur but he didnt display any aggressive behaviour at all.
as far as i was reading on bonding i thought that for rabbits to eventually become friends they need to first assert their dominance. but i have not seem Kevin assert any dominating behaviour towards Rosie. he just seems pretty indifferent to her on the two dates we had. why do u think is that? or maybe he wont be displaying dominance couse he knows she is not another bunny?
also, in the evenings when Kevin is more alert and when he seems he pottering around in the bedroom or Rosie running round frantically and playing, he starts biting and chewing on the metal barrier as if he wants to join in. so yesterday i let him out again, evethough we had a date. i though if he wasnt to come out of living room maybe i should let him and see what he wants. so i did. he obviously just wnated to inspect what was going on as i was changing the bedding and he loves to participate whenever i clean the house or anything like that he is always around. so i let him out, rosie was asleep on the pillow and he wondered round and then came up to Rosie right nose to nose with her and just stood there sniffing her (not thretening body language, just his nose wiggling next to hers).after like 5-10 seconds she got vary of what was going on and started to back off a little. then he went back to the living room.

I would appreciate any opinions of how you think our bonding is going? what do u think Kevin is saying? does he like Rosie? why is there no aggressive and dominant behaviour as he did with Lily?

i was thinking to wait for about 5-7 dates to go well and maybe when they start to groom eachother or lay next to each other and then more the dating from neuteral territory to the living room, which is Kevin territory. i want to make sure they are bonded so we dont take a step back when on Kevin's territory.

mmm.. it sounds to be so far so good but i always bond in a neutral pen in one go. i have never bonded through 'dates' but i just wanted to bump you up and hope you get some help soon as i know how stressful bonding can be.

hopefully someone like sky o or duchess to name two, who have lots of bonding experience will come along and help.
good luck. :)

quite a long explanation, if you search bonding in the advanced search on here there are a lot of helpful posts.

i have a small pen in a neutral area with just a litter tray full of hay in it. add bunnies to be bonded all at once and see how they go. i don't seperate unless there is locked on aggressive fighting, there may be a bit of chasing, humping or fur pulling and they do need watching. if all is ok i leave them in there about a week then very slowly increase the space, bit by bit, week by week. a lot of people get complacent after 48 hours but that is when problems can occur so don't jump the gun by giving them extra space too quickly. i felt guilty the first time and let my 3 out for a bit of excercise after a week then i had problems and had to seperate, wait a few weeks then try again (thankfully successfully this time!)

i gave it a good 3/4 weeks before moving them into the permanent living area which should have been totally neutralised ie; i washed the shed and run and all their things out with white vinegar. i also kept them in the shed for a couple of weeks before giving them full space and access to the run.

also pretty essential all buns are neutered.
i'm no great expert but most bondings on here seem to be done this way, like i say just have a search around the forum and keep asking if you need further help.

let us know how they go on and good luck. :D

quite a long explanation, if you search bonding in the advanced search on here there are a lot of helpful posts.

i have a small pen in a neutral area with just a litter tray full of hay in it. add bunnies to be bonded all at once and see how they go. i don't seperate unless there is locked on aggressive fighting, there may be a bit of chasing, humping or fur pulling and they do need watching. if all is ok i leave them in there about a week then very slowly increase the space, bit by bit, week by week. a lot of people get complacent after 48 hours but that is when problems can occur so don't jump the gun by giving them extra space too quickly. i felt guilty the first time and let my 3 out for a bit of excercise after a week then i had problems and had to seperate, wait a few weeks then try again (thankfully successfully this time!)

i gave it a good 3/4 weeks before moving them into the permanent living area which should have been totally neutralised ie; i washed the shed and run and all their things out with white vinegar. i also kept them in the shed for a couple of weeks before giving them full space and access to the run.

also pretty essential all buns are neutered.
i'm no great expert but most bondings on here seem to be done this way, like i say just have a search around the forum and keep asking if you need further help.

let us know how they go on and good luck. :D

This is fine for rabbits. :)

But you're asking for help on bonding cats to rabbits. Neither know how to talk to each other, so will simply tolerate. They may gain comfort from one another, but there's no substitute for a friend of your own kind. From your other thread, people suggested this to you, but you went for another kitten.

As Gray has said I think a rabbit and a kitten will tolerate but not bond.

I don't think you can expect a rabbit and a kitten to bond with each other at all.

Could you get your rabbit another rabbit friend and give up on trying to bond two different animals, there is nothing better for a rabbit than another one of its kind.

Also just wanted to add, as she is a kitten, I would be quite worried about her claws and her "playing" with the rabbit. Or gets annoyed by him and lashes out! Am no expert though, as have never had a cat but I just would be very wary about it all.

Would it be a good idea for there to be a sticky about cats and rabbits?
It seems like there's been a new thread about them almost every day for over a week, and others before that too.

Back