• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding not going well. Advice please!

MichelleBee

Alpha Buck
So we tried to bond Mavis and Lucky today after a few days of swapping litter trays. It went badly. They started fighting within the first minute. :-(

I know it's not looking good, but we've decided to try letting them be in the same room in separate cages, so they can't injure one another. We will try for a few days (and continue swapping litter trays) and see how that goes. We're Hoping that once they get used to seeing and smelling one another, the bond may have more chance of success. We know it's unlikely, but we've got to try.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? Has anyone had a successful bind after a terrible start?

Thanks

I would love to bond our two girls as well...so far all attempts have failed. Though yesterday, after almost a year we saw them sniffing and interacting with each other through their playpens while out in the garden - they used to fight through the bars and we had to move them further apart.

Perhaps with a little more time, we'll be able to have them together but with buns it's always difficult to predict how they will react.

That said, I've had two males live together like a pair of old bachelors, and when one passed the other was heartbroken, so odd combos can and do happen :)

Yes 100% neutral area - small. We'd swapped litter trays a few days before. I've done a few bonds before, so I did everything I normally would.

The only thing I can think is that Lucky was only neutered six weeks ago. Is it possible that he still is hormonal?

Mavis also had a short period of not eating last weekend. It only lasted 48 hours, but did involve trips to the vet, so perhaps she isn't 100%. Or maybe I'm clutching at straws?!

It's very possible that he's still hormonal. 6-8 weeks is a general guide, but every bunny is different of course. One of my boys couldn't be bonded until about 3/4 months after neutering :lol:

Did you notice which rabbit started fighting and was it a real fight or were they having a hierarchy sorting out scuffle? It should be possible to bond therm as they are boy and girl - did you find out why she stopped eating last week?

It was a definite fight. I know as I got bitten whilst trying to separate them. As soon as we separated them they went for each other again.

I think it was Lucky who started it but Mavis definitely played her part in it. It was hard to tell as it started almost immediately.

Mavis often stops eating for no apparent reason, so I don't know why. It started before we brought Lucky home.

At minute he is inside and she is out, do they hadn't actually seen each other before.

I woulld say it isn't normal for a rabbit to often stop eating so maybe there is something going on internally and as such she might not feel like meeting another rabbit. Have you had some checks done such as teeth, abdomen examined? Is she spayed?

We've had Mavis for five years. She is spayed. They always check her teeth and abdomen etc, but never find anything. She is quite highly strung and sometimes the only thing we can put it down to is a change in the weather or a new cat in the garden.

Maybe the reason she is not responding well to being bonded is the fact that you have had her for 5 years (I have a couple of 5 yr olds who won't get along with a male and I am not fully sure of the reason). Maybe having them bonded away from her territory might work?

Yes, we can certainly look in to getting them bonded elsewhere. Although we have only lived in this house for a year and she hadn't actually been in the room we used. However, it's certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the advice :)

Housing them close together is a good start. Letting them see and smell each other without actually getting into contact.
I've had rabbits that have had to live side by side for almost a year before they were able to bond.
Be patient. The last bond (the females) took around 3 months.

You could try borrowing a friends garden/house to do the bonding but you could still have the issue when they come home.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back