• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding larger groups/several pairs? Likelihood of working and stress levels?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I now have six pairs of bunnies as I took a pair of boys that were left and would have had to be moved to another rescue when the rescue I was volunteering at closed.

The pairs are:

Binky and Lily - Rex girls, have been with me for several months now and I rebonded them when they got here, which went well. Both around 2 - 3 years old

Apollo and Hermes - approx 2 years old. cashmere lop boys from the rescue. We think Hermes is deaf, but it's never been confirmed.

Sweetie and Pepe - a lop and mixed breed, both medium sized. Pepe is around 18 months old and Sweetie is around 4 1/2 - 5 years old.

Binky and Lily live alongside Apollo and Hermes. They are separated by puppy panels which they can touch each other through. There's no aggression or referred aggression and although I did pop them in a small pen at the weekend and there was an almost instant scuffle between Hermes and Binky, I have since seen all four bunnies grooming through the fence. Apollo especially loves the girls.

Sweetie and Pepe live in a kennel and run mostly out of sight of the other bunnies, although can see them for their in on the grass. I previously tried to bond them into a quad at the rescue, before I volunteered there and it ended in absolute disaster, with. Dash, one of my beautiful girls dying suddenly. I was so upset at the time I never really found out what happened. After that Sweetie and Pepe lived with Rebel, Dash's husbun, in a trio until we sadly lost Rebel to snuffles. Bonding into a trio was difficult due to Sweetie, but I felt they were all happy as a trio, the boys especially got on. Sweetie and Rebel get on fine, but I don't feel they have a very close bond. There was a bit of fur pulling in the spring, but no injuries or anything. Pepe did previously go into rescue due to fighting with his brother and they had to be separated, but he was an angel with Rebel, although Rebel was a young, submissive bunny.

I constantly feel like the bunnies don't have enough space (50sq ft plus a garden run for Sweetie and Pepe and 62 sq ft each for the other pairs) and IF they could all be a group then they would have all that space, plus a 7ft x 5ft shed and the runarounds connecting it.

I'm extremely anxious about bonding due to what happened with Dash, but because of that I would prefer to do it myself so i can separate if I need to.

I'm going to try properly to bond Hermes/Apollo/Binky and Lily in the next few weeks, but I'm not sure whether it makes sense to try all six together at once, rather than bond the four and then maybe try and bond in the other two later on. If I don't try and bond all six then I will probably never do it and always wonder 'what if'. I am happy to keep the three separate pairs if that turns out to be best, but as we are also a military family and at some point will have to move, it would make much more sense to have one group, although obviously I knew when I took three pairs that that was what I had, although maybe rather naively I thought it would be quite easy to bond the two boys and two girls into a quad. Silly me... :lol:

Any thoughts? Feel free to be honest, as although it would mean more space and enrichment for the bunnies, I can't help but feel selfish for wanting to bond them when they are really quite happy as they are, although I know the rexes particularly would love more space, they're very active.

I bonded a boy boy pair and a girl girl pair into a quad :thumb: I reckon if you were going to go for a 6 it would be best to try for the 6 from the start rather than doing a quad and then trying to bond the other pair in later. the way I looked at it if I pulled the plug on it sharpish if it looked like it wasn't going to work, then the original bonds should stay intact.

I tried to bond a group of six but ended up with a quad (two brothers bonded to two sisters) and a pair (Mottle and Peaches a well established pair). I have since got two belgian hares from cottontails rescue and would love a group of eight ...

I felt like trying the hares with Mottle and Peaches but had to remember how much M and P didnt like the others last time ...

I do sympathise with you and can totally see why you would love a big group. There are a few good threads on here re; bonding groups. Have a search. Good luck.

Thank you.

I think I've decided I'm going to give it a go, but err on the side of caution. I think if I Odontoceti try all soon the ill always be wondering. I suspect the six won't work as my girl Sweetie is a bit of a madam and the two Rex girls are also madams! However, I suppose you just never know. If it don't work, it doesn't work. I'll intervene sooner rather than later if I need to, I don't want to take any risks.

Back