• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - how much space? and toys?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi,

Im trying to prepare a bonding area in one of the bedrooms upstairs for when I start in a few weeks time :shock:

Do you suggest I put them in our room so i can listen out for scraps during the night?

How much space do i start off with and what do i put in there? Do I put both their litter trays in there or just 1 neutral one? Any toys/ tunnels etc? Seperate food bowls?

thanks -im dreading it :?

Have you got an indoor cage you could use? I bonded my 2 in our toilet I didnt have litter trays or toys as either bun could have laid claim to these and bullied the other because of them.Similarly for the first few days I didnt use a food bowl either just put the hay and pellets on the [newspaper covered] floor and let them forage!! Its a good idea to sleep by them but you'll be better able to judge that when you start to bond.My first pair were completely loved up after about 30 mins,my second? thats a different story!!
I know how you feel re the bonding I was supposed to be bonding a 3 this weekend but the 3 has turned into a 4 and I'll have to wait until the little fella is neutered [phew!!! saved again!:oops:]

Hi, I am in the process of bonding 2- my first time ever (may be the last!!!). It has gone well overall but also been incredibly stressful at times, with a couple of very nasty scraps. I recommend getting as much advice as you can!!! :)

We used litter trays but only because we didnt want wee everywhere!! :shock: we made sure they had one each though just in case, and kept picking up the poos and popping them in each one so each one had each other's smells in it.

We have also used two food bowls - this was because they were both on two different pellets and also one eats like a hoover and other takes his time, so I wanted to ensure that each got a good feed.

Apart from this we just put a couple of towels in there for comfort and piles of hay. No toys. One big water bottle - but we did also have a water bowl but unfortunately it got smashed in one of their scraps! :oops::(

PS good luck.

Last edited:
Back