• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a rabbit that's lived alone.

yamazumi

Warren Scout
My housemate who co-owns Chaplin has finally realised she needs a friend. With work experience we won't be around much and obviously when we finish Uni hopefully we'll have jobs and whoever she lives with won't be able to give her the amount of attention she get now, since six people live in the house and she can go to four of us for attention as well as bugging the other two if she happens upon them!

We got her at 6 months old and assume she had been alone since she was with siblings, she's been spayed months but still appears to have a lot of attitude and can get a bit stompy with food!

How do you go about getting a friend?

We're thinking we'd need a neutered male (don't mind neutering him but obviously be a quicker process if he was already done), and we'd want him to be a similar age (she's about 13 months now) and either the same size or bigger (I believe she's a standard rex?).

Is this necessary? Could she have a younger, smaller companion? Would we be better off going with a very laid back male, or one with a bit of attitude?

Unfortunately, given the time frame we probably won't be able to get her a friend before work experience in 3 1/2 weeks, and I don't think it'd be worth trying because if they don't bond in that time frame they'd be limited to having introductions in the evening and it'd be difficult to accommodate both of them when we're not around (over the summer we would be able to have Chaplin in the house like usual and limit a new bun to a single room or alternate them, but Chaplin can't be out in the house for 8+ hours day when we can't give her attention and watch her).

We'd need the option of returning the rabbit if they didn't bond, or we'd need a rescue to attempt to bond her for us, I'm determined she will have a friend, but obviously there's a possibility of her not getting on with the first rabbit she meets.

Approach a local rescue...see what they can come up with.She just may well be craving another bunny for company if shes grumpy.

You will be getting a home check......so the rescue can see the accommodation.:wave:

We live in a student house... do you think that would be an issue? It's rabbit proofed to the point she can't access anything dangerous to her... even though she chews door frames and such and the garden is secure, but I don't really know what to expect from a home check!

We're allowed pets, do you reckon we would need a letter from the landlord or would showing them the contract be enough?

We live in a student house... do you think that would be an issue? It's rabbit proofed to the point she can't access anything dangerous to her... even though she chews door frames and such and the garden is secure, but I don't really know what to expect from a home check!

We're allowed pets, do you reckon we would need a letter from the landlord or would showing them the contract be enough?

Each rescue is different!! Perhaps start a thread and ask about homing policies.xx

I notice you are in the East Midlands, Honeybunnies is In your area and do bonding. Jill who runs is it's great and posts on here often so if ou pm her I am sure she will talk to you about finding a friend for your bunny.

You will need a home check and if you rent some rescues ask for a note to say you are allowed pets in the house.

I actually have a house in Chester! I'm from the midlands, just forgot to change my location ^_^.

I shall have a look around for local rescues and ask some questions then :)

How do you go about getting a friend? Contacting a rescue for help who bonds will make things a lot easier for you

Could she have a younger, smaller companion? Age and size does not make any difference. As with humans rabbits will bond with some and not others.

Would we be better off going with a very laid back male, or one with a bit of attitude? If your rabbit is quite timid it is best to go for a confident bun as some of the confidence can rub off on to the less confident one. At the end of the day contact a rescue and see what they have and give them a few possibiities you like and let them then find one of them to bond in with yours

Back