• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a pair of bucks... is it possible?

hrl20100

Young Bun
So I have a blue mini lop buck named Shadow and he is 4/5 years old now. Not neutered.
On Tuesday I got another rabbit, a sooty fawn mini lop (no name as of yet) and he's around a year old according to the person I got him from. Again, not neutered.

I know they need friends and I was wondering if it would be possible to bond them both if I were to get them neutered? How much does neutering cost roughly? I know it varies depending on which vets you go to, but a rough idea would be great.

Is it possible to bond two males together? I know bonding is difficult, I can't imagine how hard it must be with two boys...

Shadow is currently housed in a 6ft hutch with a separate run and the new bunny is housed inside in a 120cm indoor cage (temporary, i'm going to get a 6ft hutch for him soon) with free roam around my room when I'm with him. They have plenty of enrichment in their cages too as they are spoilt!

Shadow (he is a mini lop, his ears just never lopped properly XD)
2hnqo1w.jpg

New one
am5xcy.jpg

My mum has a trio of two boys and a girl so it's definitely possible! I have no idea about neutering costs though as mine have all been done before ingot them, sorry!

Neutering costs at my Vets are just over £50 for a male rabbit. They are beautiful bunnies and personally I would keep them separate. You could however look for a female for the outdoor bunny as he has enough space to accommodate a friend, and If you look to rescue one she will no doubt be spayed already.

Theres no way that dad would let me get another rabbit as we'd have to keep them seperate temporarily until bonding is completed. I have absolutely no room for another hutch/cage of any sort, thats partly why i'd want to try and bond my two boys... :/

I have two neutered boys who are bonded, they are both very laid back bunnies, I think their personalities have alot to do with a succesful bonding.

Your a looong way away from me, i'm hoping my vet prices will be cheaper!
It depends on the surgery I think, not so much the area, but i'm not 100%

I'm so new to this so I think I'm going to ring round on Monday I'll let you know it's going to be a a dear do with 2 [emoji195][emoji195]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that bonding neutered boys is one of the easiest combinations. You will need to keep them separate afterwards for 6 weeks or so - give the hormones a chance to fade away.

As for neutering - ask what is included. There will be a pre-op check, the op, any drugs needed on the day (pain relief, maybe antibiotics), maybe pain relief to bring home, and a follow up check a few days later. Some may be charged separately, some may not routinely offer pain relief to bring home, etc, so you need to be aware of the total cost for the same service. Some things can't be foreseen, eg antibiotics afterwards if there is an infection. Also ask them how many rabbits they neuter (eg weekly?) and what prep you need to do (ie they should NOT be starved beforehand). Cost does not always reflect the experience of the vet - some see (and therefore neuter) few rabbits.

I find that bonding neutered boys is one of the easiest combinations. You will need to keep them separate afterwards for 6 weeks or so - give the hormones a chance to fade away.

Oh really?? I hope it is in the case of my two boys!
I have heard about keeping rabbits separate after neutering for about 2 months because of the hormones too.

My two bucks fell out as youngsters (I didnt leave it long enough after neutering). I then separated them for a couple of months and bonded them together again in the Autumn. I also added two lovely does that I had got from barc (barnsley animal rescue charity). They are now a happy quad and have been for two years.

Best of luck with your two lovely boys.

I'm so scared to bond my two, I don't want any fights! aha
But I'd love them to be bonded together, its just scary thinking that it could all go horribly wrong...

Back