• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 bunnies

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello everyone, some of you will know that we have a new bunny Morgan. We got him to bond with Bella after she lost her companion a couple weeks ago. We got him from the sspca. I spoke to them today & they said I shouldn’t put them both straight into the neutral space as it’s to soon. They said they need to be side by side for a few weeks prior then do it. I had great advice on here & it wasn’t recommended to do that. It was recommended to take them in to the neutral space & just put them together. Not to have them side by side prior or to meet eachother. This advice was from people who have bonded many bunnies. The sspca said they have never heard of this before & that they should get used to eachother with a barrier first. What are peoples take on this please as I don’t want to do anything wrong & I was planning to take the advice of the forum & keep them apart & then take to the neutral space & do it that way. I just don’t know why they said not to & had never heard of it before. Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few principles to respect when bonding bunnies, but the practicality of how to actually do it can be done in different ways. The main difference is the one you've now encountered i.e. whether to let the rabbits get used to each other before putting them together or to just put them both in the neutral area.

I'm not convinced that one way is any more likely to succeed than the other and suspect that people will probably favour the method they've used in the past if it's worked. I can see merit in either approach. I'm sure that the characters of the bunnies will also play a large part in a successful or otherwise result.

I think if I were you I would consider what is easier for you and go with your gut feeling as well. There will be people here who will have experience of either method and who can provide advice along the way.

There are a few principles to respect when bonding bunnies, but the practicality of how to actually do it can be done in different ways. The main difference is the one you've now encountered i.e. whether to let the rabbits get used to each other before putting them together or to just put them both in the neutral area.

I'm not convinced that one way is any more likely to succeed than the other and suspect that people will probably favour the method they've used in the past if it's worked. I can see merit in either approach. I'm sure that the characters of the bunnies will also play a large part in a successful or otherwise result.

I think if I were you I would consider what is easier for you and go with your gut feeling as well. There will be people here who will have experience of either method and who can provide advice along the way.

Hi omi, thank you for commenting. Iv never done it before so it’s such a worry. I feel if it fails doing a particular method that Iv failed the bunnies & didn’t do the right one which may have worked. I know what your saying though about different ways. Bella has vet again on Fri so I’m going to wait until she’s had all her treatment & we get to the bottom of the genital lump/swelling. I don’t feel I should bond when stuffs going on as even if I took them both together which I did with Bella & shadow, if she needed an op then she would need to be kept in & they wouldn’t have been bonded for long enough to trust it would be ok after separation. I think that’s the best thing to do & wait till she’s all sorted & in good health for the bonding [emoji846]. I’m excited about it also as I think how lovely it would be if they bonded & they are both separate on their own just now. Xx

Everyone does it differently. After much research I let mine see each other for a few weeks through barriers, Lilac wanted to kill Rupert at first but then got used to him. I then split the house in half (mine are free range) and would swap which side they each had access to every day so that they could smell each other. It was only after a few more weeks of that that I took the plunge putting them in a neutral area for dates. I had to separate them a few times but after they started to settle I increased their time together and then took the plunge.

I know this wouldn't be everyone's preferred method but at the time with work etc I couldn't let them just be together until I had some time off coming up so I chose to get them used to each other that way instead.

As Omi said, think about what will work for you. I agree that waiting until Bella has finished her treatment would be easier as bonding is stressful for them. Females are generally more territorial than males too so she may take a while to accept him in what was previously her space.

I've adopted buns from different RSPCA branches & they gave very different bonding advice. if you're putting them together in neutral space for bonding I don't see much point having them side by side because it PROBABLY won't be necessary. I'd just use that as plan B for if it doesn't go as planned. I've bonded a fair few bunnies over the decades & the only time I've used divides was when my quad bonding got scary but my new boy still needed company whilst I summoned the nerve to try again . If you feel able I'd just stick them in together & see how long you can all last (other commitments allowing of course)

good luck however you do it. I agree much is personal choice

I've adopted buns from different RSPCA branches & they gave very different bonding advice. if you're putting them together in neutral space for bonding I don't see much point having them side by side because it PROBABLY won't be necessary. I'd just use that as plan B for if it doesn't go as planned. I've bonded a fair few bunnies over the decades & the only time I've used divides was when my quad bonding got scary but my new boy still needed company whilst I summoned the nerve to try again . If you feel able I'd just stick them in together & see how long you can all last (other commitments allowing of course)

good luck however you do it. I agree much is personal choice

Hi, thank you for commenting. That’s lovely you rescued bunnies also [emoji846]. It’s so much better giving them a home when they don’t have one. I have the spare room to do the neutral space which is great so I’m going to go with that. Plus I got advice on here that it’s ok to do that from people who have bonded. Great to hear you have bonded buns successfully with this method. I hope it worked out in the end for your quad? Xx

Everyone does it differently. After much research I let mine see each other for a few weeks through barriers, Lilac wanted to kill Rupert at first but then got used to him. I then split the house in half (mine are free range) and would swap which side they each had access to every day so that they could smell each other. It was only after a few more weeks of that that I took the plunge putting them in a neutral area for dates. I had to separate them a few times but after they started to settle I increased their time together and then took the plunge.

I know this wouldn't be everyone's preferred method but at the time with work etc I couldn't let them just be together until I had some time off coming up so I chose to get them used to each other that way instead.

As Omi said, think about what will work for you. I agree that waiting until Bella has finished her treatment would be easier as bonding is stressful for them. Females are generally more territorial than males too so she may take a while to accept him in what was previously her space.

Hi, thank you for commenting. Did you manage to get them bonded eventually? I completely understand about work etc & have to do what you can given life’s circumstances. I’m very lucky I don’t do full time like my partner & works getting quite just now so Iv got the time. It’s so scary to think a fight may break out but it’s something I know can happen & will be prepared. If it does I’d definitely separate straight away. Also disheartening if it does. Hopefully all goes ok for them both. I’m lucky I have the spare room neither have been in before. Bellas been in the house since the vets. Also after losing shadow she was depressed. Because Morgan hadn’t been out before he doesn’t have a winters coat so needs to be in till spring. Thankfully I got told this on the forum or wouldn’t have known [emoji846]. Iv ordered a big new shed anyway so they can go in there during spring. Xx

I did manage to get them bonded, they're absolutely inseparable now but we had some hairy moments! I think I started too soon initially as it hadn't been long enough since Rupert was neutered (he's an RSPCA bun too and Lilac is from another rescue place) so I caused myself some problems and that's probably why I was even more cautious. I recommend keeping oven gloves on JUST in case you do need to separate them but hopefully you won't!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

No the quad didn't work & I ended up splitting my trio & having 2 pairs. I got greedy & needy for more rabbits, pushed my luck! But thats group bonding - totally different kettle of fish

I did manage to get them bonded, they're absolutely inseparable now but we had some hairy moments! I think I started too soon initially as it hadn't been long enough since Rupert was neutered (he's an RSPCA bun too and Lilac is from another rescue place) so I caused myself some problems and that's probably why I was even more cautious. I recommend keeping oven gloves on JUST in case you do need to separate them but hopefully you won't!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

That’s fab you got them bonded. How lovely that they now live eachother. Morgan was neutered on 2nd sept. Do you think that’s long enough for him to be completely hormone free? Oven gloves are a great idea! Thank you for that. I was thinking what in earth gloves can I use. I know really hope not xx

No the quad didn't work & I ended up splitting my trio & having 2 pairs. I got greedy & needy for more rabbits, pushed my luck! But thats group bonding - totally different kettle of fish

I’m sure they have a lovely, living home even though they coukdnt be in a quad. Lol you can’t help falling in love with them can you. Yes Iv been reading that it’s definitely a different kettle of fish for sure xx

Back