• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits and vet visits

AnjaSanja

Warren Scout
So I have one question. In one FB group I noticed that bonded rabbits should always be together. Even at the vets.
How is with that?
And some have 4+ rabbits. And if one rabbit must stay at the vets for couple of days how do vets take other health buns in? I mean do they have that extra room? And if you have two same looking buns and they operate on the wrong one? yieks

So I wonder how others do it. Sick bun to the vet healthy ones stay at home?

Most sources do say you should take bonded rabbits together. I know some take trios/quads in dog crates. Sometimes it depends on the vets/the illness of the rabbit, most of the time vets have asked me to bring the bonded partner when one has gone in for surgery/admitted but when Jasmine was so poorly and needed 24hr nursing care we both decided to keep Jake at home, he would've been in a separate pen since he would've chewed her cannula and he gets cross at the vets and tends to nip Jasmine so wouldn't have been much support. Vets can keep them in adjoining/nearby kennels if they don't have the space or want to monitor one. I've had rabbits look nothing alike but the vets write all over the consent form which rabbit is which, when we've had kittens in work look the same they'll shave a small mark on the one needing treatment so I'm sure they wouldn't get mixed up.

I think of th individual rabbit and their bond, I've taken most together but have taken some separate for both routine and illness visits

I usually take mine together and then the vet and I make a call on if they're staying.

Usually both stay, only once has a from a couple bun been sent home but that was more because they were in the middle of bonding and we weren't sure if she was making the stress worse or not.

Other than that the vets have always been very happy to have both and have noted that Rodney behaves much better with his friend there. I suspect because he gets a bit bored in a kennel.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Casper and Sophie always go together, even if one has to stay for a while, and my vets have always been fine with this. Sometimes when they're staying at the vets they need to be separated if, for example, one of them needs to be under a heat lamp or is recovering from anaesthesia, but then the vets keep them next to each other so they still have each other for comfort.

I'm sure that when you have two bunnies who look very similar the vets will make sure the right one gets operated on! Like Liz said, there are ways to mark them. :)

Back