• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond (partially) broken due to illness, help!

lucyb2797

New Kit
Hi, my bunnies bond seems to have broken so I'd appreciate help or anecdotes from anyone with experience or who's owned bonded rabbits who had their bond broken.

So, my two bunnies Layla and Nuri have been bonded for 3 or so months now. The bonding went really smoothly, Nuri is a fair bit younger than Layla (he was not quite 6 months when we adopted him) and he was very timid, so Layla asserted dominance pretty easily and it has been that way ever since, though Nuri generally got a lot more confident, he never tried to overthrow Layla. However, this changed recently. Unfortunately 2 weeks ago Layla got very ill due to an ear infection, and, although he comforted her when she was at her worst as soon as she got slightly better and the vertigo went away he started nipping and chasing her, clearly trying to seize the opportunity to assume dominance over her. I quickly separated them, however Nuri continued to lick her through the bars when she requested. I have tried several times to reintroduce them now Layla is getting over her infection and seems back to normal health, and it often seems to go well with both parties grooming and snuggling with each for hours without conflict then all of a sudden Nuri will start chasing her, and poor Layla has seemed to loose all her self confidence and doesn't stand up for herself like she used to. However, she doesn't submit either, just runs away and when I see chasing and him trying to nip her I always intervene.

Over the past couple days I've tried reintroducing them in a bigger area (they are normally free roam), and they'd be fine for pretty much the whole day, grooming, flopping side by side etc, just 1 or 2 times a day Nuri would chase Layla. I figured enough was enough so now I've got them in a 2x2 playpen and theyve been happily coexisting with each other, it only seems to be when they are free roam that the nipping and chasing starts. I hate keeping them confined in a small space, but I'm guessing the process has to be keeping them in a small space for a day or so and gradually increasing it, splitting them into separate pens when unsupervised, so basically doing the whole bonding again? Also, is it right to stop the chasing or should I let it run its course? There was never much chasing with the initial bonding so it always throws me off a bit.

Thanks,

Lucy

It's a shame that this has happened. It does sound as though the bonding will eventually get well establioshed again though. I would keep them as they are in a small space until you are really sure that they are OK with each other. Then I would slowly increase the space and keep it like that again until they are OK with each other. I've always considered that chasing is OK, provided that the Doe has somewhere she can run away to and that it doesn't lead to aggression. Obviously you would have to closely monitor this.

Good luck!

Back