• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best way to pick up rabbit

I can't do mine any other way yet: I intend on learning (me and them!). But I have NEVER scruffed a rabbit WITHOUT shoving my other hand to its rear end before it's off the floor so its back and rear legs were supported. It's not perfect, or pretty, but I've never had them kick out and hurt me or them. But I know it's not great and I do want to learn the scoop method so we're all happy with it :) Every time I try and scoop them at the moment everyone gets hurt :(

Just as a top tip, most animals "know" if we're nervous of picking them up and it makes them nervous in turn. Taking a deep breath and going in with a calm and determined approach can make a massive difference. We always get down to their level too, and don't grasp from above (which would mimic a bird of prey).

I put one hand just behind their front legs, and with the other hand scoop their bum up and then bring in close to my chest with my hands in the same place.

With Noah I do that, then rest his hind legs and bum on my leg (me crouched down), supporting his upper body with one hand and medicate him with my free hand

My bridge buns didn't like being picked up at all. I used to chuck a towel over them and scoop and hold them close to my body mainly if they had to ho into a carry case etc. Put them down later much thumping and indignant looks.

I've noticed with Poppy, if I can get my hand on her back lightly, she presses down on the ground and can be picked up quite easily, maybe that's a bit of a submission type of body language, like OK I give up, you've won! Of course, getting a hand on her back is another thing altogether! Bramley is a little monkey, sometimes he just sits there to be picked up but at other times (most of the time) he decides it's not convenient at the moment and turns, leaps and squiggles free. He knows if I'm going to try to pick him up, he must be reading body language. He also knows when I'm there just to see him and usually comes over. Mimsey has to be caught at the right moment, although she doesn't squiggle or kick she gets nervous and nibbles clothing or skin if you carry her too far! Blossom is fine once you get him (I usually have to corner him!) and stays very still and is quite relaxed. When catching him he always backs up like mad so a hand behind him soon scoops him up! They all seam to know when you carry them back home and get impatient when they see the hutches.

Generally I try to scoop, getting them in the middle by accident is bad as they wriggle and kick, it must be a predator type reaction. Sometimes if it goes wrong it's best to let go and try again when everyone has calmed down. I generally support all the feet against my body but watch out for jumping, especially with young ones. Another method is to support the body against yours with your arm but allow the feet to dangle, this avoids them kicking against your body.

Whatever I do, I usually end up with muddy knees, fur and wood shavings everywhere! I prefer to be wearing a fleece as well as those claws are sharp!

I rarely pick up out of the hutch, I think it's best to let them come out on their own. I break this rule when they get in each other hutches at bed time as its' a game for them, I'm sure Bramley and Poppy have learned that I only shut the doors when they are in the right hutches so use it as a delaying tactic.

I don't hold them unnecessarily. One hand under tummy, one hand under bum/legs and lift, bun to my chest asap.
Except Charlie who stands with his front legs up like a toddler asking to be picked up.
Matthew Rabbit used to run up my chest to hide under my chin, his favourite place.

Matthew Rabbit used to run up my chest to hide under my chin, his favourite place.

Storm does something similar to this when he's at the vets. He will jump up from the vet table, climb up my chest and rest his head on my shoulder. The vets used to get really scared when he did it because they thought he would fall but he's been there so many times now that they know he's not trying to escape, just trying to hide bless him haha.

Storm does something similar to this when he's at the vets. He will jump up from the vet table, climb up my chest and rest his head on my shoulder. The vets used to get really scared when he did it because they thought he would fall but he's been there so many times now that they know he's not trying to escape, just trying to hide bless him haha.

Yes I've had the most aggressive and unfriendly rabbits do that to me at the vet! I fool myself that it's because they love me really, but I know it's because I'm the lesser of two evils at the time :lol:

Yes I've had the most aggressive and unfriendly rabbits do that to me at the vet! I fool myself that it's because they love me really, but I know it's because I'm the lesser of two evils at the time :lol:
[emoji38] Luckily with Storm I know it is because he loves me because he is such a mummy's boy, but with Willow and Biscuit it is the same as what you said, I'm just the lesser of two evils [emoji38]

with Willow and Biscuit it is the same as what you said, I'm just the lesser of two evils [emoji38]
XD Tee hee! Aboleth''s never had a bad vet experience (with me), she seems to like them as a new experience :) Lopsy's tried to make a break for it off the table multiple times (they say he's a bit suicidal :lol:), or go back in the carrier! Both are happy being nuisances on the floor though!

It's certainly much easier to pick them up off the table to get them back in as they're at my level! I've never had to scruff them off the table, either the vet's popped them in for me or I've scooped them up :) I think my tiny hands is my biggest issue: I can't actually get enough 'hand' on them to really do anything! It'll come, I'm sure :)

Back