• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best forage for bunny tummies?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I think I remember being told brambles were particularly good for bunny digestion. Does anyone know if there is a pecking order of best forage for bunny tummies?

I think the blackthorn was to be picked at a certain time, or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Apple leaves and rose leaves are good to make sure everything keeps working.

I don't know if there's a 'hierarchy' of good foods as such, but I'm also finding that hawthorn and willow is doing wonders for my little ones' underdeveloped tummies.

Thanks for replies. Apple and hawthorn should be quite easy for me to access. In fact I have a good supply of apple leaves in stock. Does anyone know if raspberry and strawberry leaves count as forage or veg?

I would count them as forage. I only class veg as stuff we would eat or buy from the supermarket :wave:

Yes I would count them more as forage because although they are cultivated, they're being grown to maximise the fruit, not the leaves. So the leaves themselves won't have been 'engineered' in the same way as leaves grown for us to eat. They're not true forage, but they're more forage than veg, in my humble opinion!

Back