• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bereaved Bunny Help Please

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice. My 3 year old male dwarf lop bunny died very suddenly on Tuesday afternoon. We are all naturally devastated and his companion who is the same age and also a male has been left behind which is equally upsetting.

We bough him home from the vets to bury him yesterday morning and I asked the vet about showing the body to the companion and she did not recommend it. I then later, having buried him, read that it can help the remaining rabbit to grieve. I now feel so terribly guilty that I did not give him this opportunity and am really worried about how I can now help him.

He lives outside and I've been giving him lots of cuddles and bough him new toys. He is eating and drinking and has been out of his hutch for a good run around. We have two other much larger rabbits that live next door to him. We have tried to bond them all in the past and the two large males were uninterested and caused a minor injury to the remaining rabbit. We rescued them and they are a little grumpy with anyone else other than each other so I do not think it would be a good idea to go down this road again.

I guess my main question is what else can I be doing to help him? Should I consider getting him another friend and initiating a gradual introduction? I've read that spayed females can be easier to bond with neutered males. If I was to do this how long should I give him to grieve?

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Sam

Poor bunny :( I completely sympathise, i lost my little girl at New Year, she left behind Fudge my little boy. He did get to spend time with the body as she died in the night unexpectedly, I think this seemed to help him understand that she wasn't coming back, but he was still very upset.

The most important thing is that he is still eating and drinking, he may be depressed for a while but keep giving him lots of love and cuddles and make sure he continues to eat and drink as they can go into depression. It took Fudge about a week or two before he was back to his usual personality, but you need to give him time to grieve. (please anyone more experienced correct me if i'm wrong - i'm just talking from my experience)

After a few weeks when you feel he is back to himself, find a rescue centre that will let you 'speed date' him! You basically take him along and they will match him up with potential girlfriends and guage his reaction for you. I did this with Fudge and unfortunately he wasn't very interested and wanted to fight everyone! I then went to another rescue centre who advised me just to 'take one home and bond them' - this has not gone well and i'm now looking at having to give her back, so i would 100% recommend the 'speed dating' route!

He may not even want another mate, but they will be able to tell you and you don't want to be having to give a new bun up if you bring home the wrong one and he hates her, it's heart-breaking trust me! :cry: x

Hope that helps a bit!

Im so sorry to hear of the loss of your bunny :cry::cry::cry:

In answer to your question - Yes he would probably like another friend - have you got a rescue near you that could do the bonding for you and find his perfect partner. I dont think bunnies get so attached as we think!! They have different emotions to humans - Im sure he would be very grateful for another friend - females are easier to bond to males!
If you rescue a bun - they will try several females to see which one he likes best - this is why its better than buying one - because what if they dont get on??

Its great your trying to do the best for your little man - well done - the good thing he is eating and dont beat yourself up over the guilt of not showing him the body - some recommend it and some say it does more harm - so dont worry!

Katherine xx

Back