• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benefits of staying as a private animal rescue sanctuary vs registered charity?

My advice would be to withhold the charity application for a while.

Give yourself 12 to 18 months of rescue work first and revisit the idea after that.

Being a registered charity doesn't automatically mean that there is more funding from anywhere and in my experience people are still happy to support a rescue even if it isn't.

What people really want to support is a reputable rescue that operates clear and caring policies on a consistent basis. Build your foundations first and then if it suits you at a later date consider it again.

In my own rescue (Little Brambles Guinea Pig Rescue) I like to devote my time to the care of the animals here and homevisits for those that are rehomed. Fundraising and keeping the CC happy are all far too time consuming for me and I much prefer the idea of idependence.

If you go onto Many Tears website ( a welsh dog/cat rescue) there is a good article on why they haven't become a registered charity which makes interesting reading. :)

Thanks that's really helpful i will have a read through.

The only benefit for me of being registered is that our friends would be able to fundraise on our behalf, cutting out the time spent fundraising so that i could do more with the animals.

I haven't started re-homing at all yet though. I've taken in and agreed to take in 26 bunnies ( 7 more I've been asked to take besides this and i can't really at present- this may change in the coming weeks though) in total so far as of next Tuesday. This is my limit.

Tell me to butt-out if I'm sticking my nose in, but I think you might find yourself overwhelmed if you plan to take in 26 rabbits in one go. The trick to looking after lots of animals is to increase your numbers slowly...so you naturally find a maximum number you're comfortable with.

I wouldn't like to think that you or the animals are suffering if you find you're unable to care for a sudden influx of 26 extra rabbits.

Tell me to butt-out if I'm sticking my nose in, but I think you might find yourself overwhelmed if you plan to take in 26 rabbits in one go. The trick to looking after lots of animals is to increase your numbers slowly...so you naturally find a maximum number you're comfortable with.

I wouldn't like to think that you or the animals are suffering if you find you're unable to care for a sudden influx of 26 extra rabbits.

Actually hun,

Taking on board what you have said i am asking a lady who was supposed to be bringing me 5 males and 2 does to hold off bring them here temporarily and try look after them. She is a rescue also, so they should be in good hands, even if they are in smaller cages than she would like. I have said i will advertise them for her though and see if i can get some homes for them in the meantime.

In the meantime, i have five more i have 100% agreed to taking five bunnies in on top of the 16 i have now. So this is fine. That will be 21 in total. There are two more that i can hold off taking for awhile besides the 7 from the rescue. Jasper unfortunately passed away at the vets so i wont be taking him in anymore. I need to have space for any emergencies my vets give me or strays too as I've said i will help them.

I'll reconsider the 7 when the stable is setup suitably or the other shed and paddock I'm building for them is sorted out. I think re homing rabbits is hard at the moment by the sounds of things, so I'd rather give the highest level of care i can for longer periods of time, than be overwhelmed with too many buns and little time to give.

Thanks again for bringing this to light,
Jane xx

Actually hun,

Taking on board what you have said i am asking a lady who was supposed to be bringing me 5 males and 2 does to hold off bring them here temporarily and try look after them. She is a rescue also, so they should be in good hands, even if they are in smaller cages than she would like. I have said i will advertise them for her though and see if i can get some homes for them in the meantime.

In the meantime, i have five more i have 100% agreed to taking five bunnies in on top of the 16 i have now. So this is fine. That will be 21 in total. There are two more that i can hold off taking for awhile besides the 7 from the rescue. Jasper unfortunately passed away at the vets so i wont be taking him in anymore. I need to have space for any emergencies my vets give me or strays too as I've said i will help them.

I'll reconsider the 7 when the stable is setup suitably or the other shed and paddock I'm building for them is sorted out. I think re homing rabbits is hard at the moment by the sounds of things, so I'd rather give the highest level of care i can for longer periods of time, than be overwhelmed with too many buns and little time to give.

Thanks again for bringing this to light,
Jane xx

Don't forget you need a quarantine area :wave:

Don't forget you need a quarantine area :wave:

Thanks yes i have several at the moment dotted around the place :) I'm just turning my office into abit of a quarantine room too. I shouldn't, but i can't help it! Especially from unknown sources. I'm being very very careful.

Be careful with this....you'll very quickly fill up with sanctuary buns, and will have no space for ones to rehome.

I can't remember who, but I remember a rescue saying this on here, and that it's best to do one or the other. (Obviously you could have a few sanctuary places, but have a limit.)

Ideally yes but unfortunately you very rarely get the full story when a bun comes in ..... we currently have Stripe as a sanctuary bun because he eats people, this wasn't mentioned when he came in and we have had a few buns with teeth problems that we haven't been advised of prior to taking them in and we tend to have these long term as they are hard to rehome.

Back