• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been given rabbit fur!

Hmmm bit of a controversial one I guess.

Well I think I will keep them but I just want to assure everyone I wouldn't buy rabbit fur myself and I'm a very good bunny mum and generally ethical shopper!! :thumb:

I couldn't bear to keep or wear them; not knowing how the bunny was killed to make them :( I was given once by my MIL and I gave them to a charity shop.

To me that would be no different than buying fur myself. It's still endorsing an abhorrent (IMO) trade by advertising it.

I don't think it's encouraging it at all, but now she's already been given them, there isn't really a point in throwing them away and "wasting" that animals life, as Herperus said. I'm sure if you saw her walking down the street in them, you wouldn't know that it wasn't faux fur anyway so it's not encouraging anyone to buy real :)

Fingers crossed that its Wildie fur from the meat trade, Schtoffen :) x

I might have, very politely, given them back to her and not accepted them. It's a difficult one. I wouldn't want them to go to waste either but I really wouldn't want to wear them. It was a gift given with good intentions and I wouldn't want to upset the person but I don't think I could just accept them. :(

The charity shop or eBay ideas are good ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend once gave me a leather bracelet. I have been vegetarian since childhood so I was quite surprised. I thanked her and later gave it away ...

How controversial! Personally I couldn't wear them knowing this and they'd be straight off to the charity shop, which in my view would at least mean the charity profited (if sold) . You have to do what's right for you though :wave: x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd ask the person to return them. Or return them myself and donate the money to CAFT. If anyone bought me fur, I'd not be pleased. Fair enough if they didn't know it was fur (I'd tell them that it was and also educate them on the industry and how to recognise real fur from fake fur).

I'd NEVER wear fur...whether second hand or not. Wearing it is advertising it.

I think you've come to the wrong place for advice because everyone is very opinionated about this subject.

I would do what you feel is right, if you want to wear it, then wear it. I would :wave: (ps, not that I would buy it!)

There is no such thing as humane killing of animals for meat, so if you eat meat, you are buying into animal suffering. If it's a bunny, a pig, a cow etc seems no different to me. So if you are happy eating meat, why not wear rabbit fur?

As someone said, there are so many opinions, I would do just as your conscience tells you.

Happy Christmas :)

Back