• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril after Spay?

thumperlop said:
Hi,

I've not long picked up Thumper from the vets, she looks really sad and is still very wobbly bless her. I took her packed lunch in with me and the vet was very impressed saying he'd never seen that before!?

Everything went well with the op so fingers crossed she be eating and drinking soon, she's wee'd but no droppings as yet. I keep giving her nose rubs as when I go over she gives a little nudge, wanting reassurance I think. She has not taken any of her favourite foods yet but we'll keep trying. We managed to get a Park 6 from the shops (the metal framed runs for in the garden) so we have set that up for her with puppy training pads, towels and a little hidey hole for her if she wants it.

Everyone (even the kids) are tip toe'ing around keeping quiet for her,so hopefully later on she will perk up and look more like our little bunny :)
Thanks for all the advice given here, its made us much more prepared xx

Aw glad Thumper is home safe and sound, try grating her veg, esp carrot and celery as they contain a lot of water, Bella wouldnt touch anything untill I grated it, try a bowl and a bottle for drinking as sometimes they cant be bothered with a bottle.

Give her a nose rub for me she is a little darling :love:

Glad she's home ok. When Pippa was spayed she looked very miserable right until the next day and didn't perk up properly for 3 days. I got her eating with grated carrot and cucumber but not until the following morning although she did have a drink. I think we sometimes forget it's a big operation and they're bound to be feeling bad and in pain :(

Sending nose rubs

Kathryn x

Thanks Ali & Kathryn, nose rubs greatly appreciated :D :D I will grate her veggies and leave them in the fridge ready for her and just keep trying (guess who'll be sleeping downstairs playing vigil tonight lol......how soft!)

She keeps having a little toot around but soon settles back down, I am watching her now I've taken my laptop into the kitchen so I can see her (working from home is great!)

:D :D :D Thumper is drinking now i've just placed a tiny bowl in front of her and she took some drips off my fingers first & now she is drinking from the bowl........quite a lot too :D :D

Will check out those links Ali thanks

Mel x

thumperlop said:
:D :D :D Thumper is drinking now i've just placed a tiny bowl in front of her and she took some drips off my fingers first & now she is drinking from the bowl........quite a lot too :D :D

Will check out those links Ali thanks

Mel x

Aw glad she is drinking :D :D :D

Here is my post-op baby doing her bestest to have a drink (looks like a little prison with the bars)
drinkingbaby1.jpg

thumperlop said:
Here is my post-op baby doing her bestest to have a drink (looks like a little prison with the bars)
drinkingbaby1.jpg

Aw bless her she looks so sorry for herself :love: :love: :love:

Here is thumper in her indoor bed.... she looks soooooooo small
postopbaby3.jpg

Ali I've just read the 2 threads you linked me to and I hope Thumper still likes me when her G.A wears off :( she loves me at the moment and keeps nudging for snuggles and falling over when trying to go on to her back legs (bless) hopefully she's forgotten 'who' took her to the vets lol.

Quick update........we've decided that we must have "Super-Bunny" :shock: Thumper is:

Eating everything in site......

Drinking LOADS........

Wee'ing everywhere.......

And OH MY GOD we've never seen so much poops lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

fingers crossed this keeps up :D :D we're so happy, but i'll still probably be keeping vigil all night lol :oops:

Yayyy for Thumper!

Jenny did the same last week - within an hour of being home after being spayed she had cleared a bowl of pellets, guzzled lots of water, had a huge wee and scattered poos everywhere. She was rattling the bars to get out of her indoor cage... not quite the quiet, frail bunny I had anticipated caring for for the evening! :lol:

She was quieter the next day though (although she continued to eat and drink well), so don't be surprised if Thumper does the same :D I'm so pleased she's recovering well :D

thumperlop said:
Quick update........we've decided that we must have "Super-Bunny" :shock: Thumper is:

Eating everything in site......

Drinking LOADS........

Wee'ing everywhere.......

And OH MY GOD we've never seen so much poops lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

fingers crossed this keeps up :D :D we're so happy, but i'll still probably be keeping vigil all night lol :oops:

Wow thats great news she is doing really well :love:

Glad Thumpers recovering well and thanks to those who gave me a bit of help too to know what to expect. Thumper will soon be back to normal self :)

Afternoon peeps, update on Thumps......

She is eating really well, munching away constantly on her hay & some veggies :D Still poop'in however they vary from HUGE to tiny :lol: :lol:

She is searching around the pen for an escape route its quite sweet to watch (If only I could dig through towels, training pads and lino i'd be fine~~~said Thumper :oops: ) She is starting to stand on her back legs a little to have a nosey around and keeps flopping onto her side looking totally content if a little peeved she's banned from darting about like a mad bunny :lol: :lol:

Her wound is very clean & dry, and thankfully she's still coming to us for nose rubs and snuggles :D :D

Thanks Ali :D

She is so loving, think i'm the luckiest person cos she keeps licking me...my hands, my arms, my face and my neck when i'm snuggling her :D :D and for the first time ever she is sleeping on a nice fluffy bed we bought her and has not made any attempts to eat it lol! I wish we could keep her in the house all the time but its not fair on her or the dog so they have to share us now lol.

thumperlop said:
Thanks Ali :D

She is so loving, think i'm the luckiest person cos she keeps licking me...my hands, my arms, my face and my neck when i'm snuggling her :D :D and for the first time ever she is sleeping on a nice fluffy bed we bought her and has not made any attempts to eat it lol! I wish we could keep her in the house all the time but its not fair on her or the dog so they have to share us now lol.

Aw she sound adorable, :love: :love: your lucky with the bed :lol: I bought one for Bella and Benji for christmas, and it was wrecked by the end of christmas day :evil:

She is adorable when she's feeling fully better we're going to make a little video of her to share her gorgeousness (if thats a word lol) with everyone :lol: We are lucky with the bed she nothing has ever ladted more than 5 seconds in her hutch now she is lounging about like Cleopatra on this one is so funny :lol:

thumperlop said:
She is adorable when she's feeling fully better we're going to make a little video of her to share her gorgeousness (if thats a word lol) with everyone :lol: We are lucky with the bed she nothing has ever ladted more than 5 seconds in her hutch now she is lounging about like Cleopatra on this one is so funny :lol:

Aw bless her, I cant wait to see the video :D :D

Back