• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney and Marley Bonding - day one.

Barney rubble

Warren Scout
The bonding begins 22/12/2010;
12.30pm Both go in their bonding pen in my sons room. Within minutes Barney is grooming Marley :) There is a few nips and fur pulling from Barney, and Marley is being a very good bunny and trying to groom Barney but he's having none of it :?
December10039-2.jpg

1.30pm - Barney has groomed Marley for 15mins:D

2.00pm Marley keeps trying to groom Barney but he keeps getting scared and running off or nipping Marley.

3.00pm I 've put their litter tray in and Barney is in there not letting Marley in.

3.30pm Marley's in the litter tray although not for long, as Barney jumps in and nips her out of there.

Rest of the evening stays pretty much the same, over night they behave perfectly, me on the other hand I got hardly and sleep, my son's bed is So not comfortable:lol: I'm trying to add some photos, but having problems at the moment so will try again in a bit. Hope you will enjoy Barney and Marley's Bonding diary and thank you to those who have given me some advice, please feel free to advise away on anything, it will be greatly recieved :D
December10045.jpg

This morning:
December10072.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Sounds good so far.

Only thing i would say, is take the litter tray out to start with, as if one becomes territorial over it, you could end up with a problem :wave:

Thanx Gray, litter tray was out for first few hrs then put in, and took back out again when Barney declared it "His" :lol: Back in again in the evening and now sharing well. Can't believe it's going so well, keeping my fingers crossed it'll stay this way now. :)

Only thing i would say, is take the litter tray out to start with, as if one becomes territorial over it, you could end up with a problem :wave:

:wave: can i just ask what exactly is the behaviour when being territorial over the litter tray? is it that one might be in there and then the other comes along gives a nip on the bum to get them out or is it more than that?

Thanx Gray, litter tray was out for first few hrs then put in, and took back out again when Barney declared it "His" :lol: Back in again in the evening and now sharing well. Can't believe it's going so well, keeping my fingers crossed it'll stay this way now. :)

i am SO jealous

glad its working out well for you though :)

:wave: can i just ask what exactly is the behaviour when being territorial over the litter tray? is it that one might be in there and then the other comes along gives a nip on the bum to get them out or is it more than that?

Thats exactly the behaviour I have had, Barney kept nipping Marley's bum to get her out. But I guess that is normal behaviour, I just took the tray out for an hr then put it back in, he still carried on doing it for a while but he would let her in when he wasn't in there, and now they are snuggled up in there together.
Are u trying to bond your's??

dont ask! in the bonding section is our thread - duke and libby - can be found here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260821

theres also another two previous threads!

just put a litter box back in but im not sure how territorial is territorial.... if libby is in there and duke hops in and bumps her out with a nip is that ok or an immediate no-no?

Whilst having only bonded my two, the easiest two in the world i've been told, if one bunny claims the litter tray and wont let the other in or chases out if they do, i was taking it out. Sterilising it again and putting back in a few hours later. I had no litter tray for ~6 hours to start with :)

Whilst having only bonded my two, the easiest two in the world i've been told, if one bunny claims the litter tray and wont let the other in or chases out if they do, i was taking it out. Sterilising it again and putting back in a few hours later. I had no litter tray for ~6 hours to start with :)

ok so we have just gone back to having a litter tray. previously (and this time the same so far) duke will let libby in it on her own etc and sometimes they will be happy in it together but then other times he will give her a nip on the bottom to chuck her out - if that is him being territorial then we are going to add another litter tray not remove it - specific to our situation because ours is being so difficult - not suggesting that other people should try this without exhausting other options

so does the above sound territorial or just normal bunny behaviour?

(hope ure sorted now graham with the F/F)

dont ask! in the bonding section is our thread - duke and libby - can be found here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260821

theres also another two previous threads!

just put a litter box back in but im not sure how territorial is territorial.... if libby is in there and duke hops in and bumps her out with a nip is that ok or an immediate no-no?

Oh dear just been reading Duke the little terror bunny :shock:

When Barney has nipped Marley out of the litter tray I've left them to get on with it, and Marley has been in there without Barney nipping so thats good.

Does Duke let Libby in there at all on her own or together without nipping??

Oh dear just been reading Duke the little terror bunny :shock:

i know - its heartbreaking :( he just wants to be friends but he is SO keen that its just too much for libby. shes not used to having a friend so is quite happy on her own!

Does Duke let Libby in there at all on her own or together without nipping??

yeah shes allowed in on her own, sometimes they go in together but then other times he will hop in - give her a nip to boot her out then graze for a while himself and then lie down in it

ok so we have just gone back to having a litter tray. previously (and this time the same so far) duke will let libby in it on her own etc and sometimes they will be happy in it together but then other times he will give her a nip on the bottom to chuck her out - if that is him being territorial then we are going to add another litter tray not remove it - specific to our situation because ours is being so difficult - not suggesting that other people should try this without exhausting other options

so does the above sound territorial or just normal bunny behaviour?

(hope ure sorted now graham with the F/F)

Biscuit still does that to Ginger now. They sit in there 90% of the time fine, but sometimes, Biccy gets in, nips her so she'll get out and then does his impression of a JCB (search the forum for 'Biscuit Litter Tray' and you'll soon see why) so im not sure if the same applies to your situation.

A 2nd litter tray sounds like an awesome idea. Mine have two also :)

And yes - i have a new FF! :D

I'm not much help on the bonding thing, (actually I'm NO help as I have no experience and I know my nerve wouldn't hold out) but mine have 2 litter trays in their run and also 2 in their hutch.
i just figured that if there's 2 of them, they need at least 2 of everything. and it eliminates the squabbling?

yeah we always had two when it was duke and daisy - sometimes even 3

i dont know maybe with bonding the theory is you have one so that they both have to use it in order to properly share the smells and scents otherwise if you had 2 it could literally end up that one bun only uses one box. but it seems like we are going an alternative route perhaps with our bond now actually increasing the space to see if it settles duke so by having two boxes maybe he will learn to share at the same time?? such a total pickle!

gald the OP barney rubble is having an easier time! :lol:

yeah shes allowed in on her own, sometimes they go in together but then other times he will hop in - give her a nip to boot her out then graze for a while himself and then lie down in it[/QUOTE]

The second litter tray sounds like a good idea. Definatly worth a try, they may just go back to ignoring each other tho, I think (and don't quote me as I'm no expert.) It's just something else they have to sort out, like who's in charge, one has to be charge of the tray.
Duke and Libby are having lots of "good" times too so thats the thing to hold on to. I bet they'll soon have everything worked out :D

Btw, you're lucky you have a bed at all! i slept on the floor or in a bean bag whilst bonding my two :lol:

Btw, you're lucky you have a bed at all! i slept on the floor or in a bean bag whilst bonding my two :lol:

sorry who has the bed? im so tired im struggling to follow much these days!

hubby and i have been on a hard tile floor/rug or sofa for the last 6 nights!

except he did send me to bed as i wasnt feeling well and had to get up to go to work so ive had more bed time than him - he literally hasnt slept in a bed for 6 nights now. :shock:

off topic - but i really want a bean bag! have for years, really must sort out getting one!

The second litter tray sounds like a good idea. Definatly worth a try, they may just go back to ignoring each other tho, I think (and don't quote me as I'm no expert.) It's just something else they have to sort out, like who's in charge, one has to be charge of the tray.
Duke and Libby are having lots of "good" times too so thats the thing to hold on to. I bet they'll soon have everything worked out :D

thanks for the encouragement, really in need of it at the moment! i think exhaustion is taking over. sorry for hijacking your thread - hope something has been of some help to you though! :)

thanks for the encouragement, really in need of it at the moment! i think exhaustion is taking over. sorry for hijacking your thread - hope something has been of some help to you though! :)

Bless you, Things WILL start to get better hun, hang on in there. No need to apologise, it's best way to get help is sharing advice on everyones threads, keep me posted how your getting on yeah??

Back