• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baffled by behaviour/change in appetite

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Not really sure how to describe it expect "behaviour change" ...*alarm bells*

I have noticed in the last few evenings that Arthur has been laid in 'loaf' position with his head facing the leg of a metal table. He had loads of space so there's no need for him to have his nose pressed against this table leg.. it seems bizarre... as a one-off maybe but he keeps doing it.

This evening I did the rounds handing out hay and when he and the others would normally be excited and go to the hay he just positioned in front of the table leg (after following my heels closely as he always does:roll: I have to be careful not to kick him in the face when walking).

As I observed the munching from everybun else, he was grooming the table leg :? So, my first thought was "dental?" His poops are large and plentiful. He very kindly scatters them on the floor for me to regularly sweep up.

Early morning he was rattling at the bars (ie baby gate across the door) to let me know it was breakfast time. I'm toing and froing from this room throughout the day as it's where I work and he always follows me .. when I make a brew I can often see him waiting at the door for my return..this behaviour hasn't changed. Between about 10 am and noon I have to step over him but other than that he's dashing around.

Now I've gone into "formal worried mode" he's sat eating hay:oops:

He has been found to have bladder sludge but not had any symptoms from it. He's just turned four years old.

Any ideas - apart from that he's got a paranoid human?

Last edited:
Ears ? In the early stages of ear problems sometimes ‘odd’ behaviour can be the only symptom.

Is his water intake and wee output normal for him ? Given his history of bladder sludge could it be that his bladder is now feeling a bit uncomfortable ?

Sending ‘nothing really wrong’ vibes x

Thanks. I will be vigilant for possible ear issues. At this stage, might a vet be able to see anything from physical examination?

Drinking and weeing normal. He's never had any detectable bladder symptoms, I only know about the sludge due to an x-ray when he has GI issues. He's so like Artie in many ways that I am paranoid about bladder sludge as Artie had his cystotomy at 4.5 years old.

Thanks. I will be vigilant for possible ear issues. At this stage, might a vet be able to see anything from physical examination?

Drinking and weeing normal. He's never had any detectable bladder symptoms, I only know about the sludge due to an x-ray when he has GI issues. He's so like Artie in many ways that I am paranoid about bladder sludge as Artie had his cystotomy at 4.5 years old.

Re the ears, what may or may not be seen on an initial examination would depend on if there is any problem and if so what it is. Inflamed outer ear canals can be obvious, as can any lumps around the ear base.

Morse used to shove his head behind a leg of his chair when he had earache. He also stopped eating pellets but pigged out on everything else, especially hay.

The only other thing I can think of is a sluggish cecum. A very full cecum is easy to palpate on abdominal examination. It feels like a big sausage x

Thanks. Ear bases feel normal (to me, compared with Esme and Lolly's abscesses). I'll have a try for his abdomen later....

Back