• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary Run?

I am converting an old garden shed into a magnificent rabbit homeđź’™ but that's another story for another thread:D attached onto this will be a walk in aviary run ! There used to be a decking where I am building it (6 x 13ft) and now we have taken the decking away its about 4 inches below ground level.

Now the question. Fox proofing. I have layed plastic sheeting down, on top of that I am planning to put chicken wire, and a mixture of sand and soil on top of that. Hopefully I will be putting plays tones around the edge.
Does this sound ok? Can I see pictures of your runs for inspiration??

The rabbits will love that :thumb: I should point out though, chicken wire is not fox proof, or rabbit proof for that matter, you need weld mesh, 19g or 16g, and 1x1/2 inch or 1/2x1/2 inch holes.

If you need a lot of weldmesh B&Q can be quite expensive. Get a 15m roll on Ebay for about ÂŁ30+

You're right to use panels on every side, it's the only way to make it secure. The soil will make it good, but just be prepared for a mess if they start digging :)

I did something similar (incomplete)
side.jpg

Then put down turf, but the turf dies off eventually due to the rabbits wearing it out
inside.jpg

Back