• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Artie is at the vets again, bladder sludge. Home and lively.

Thanks. It is Oxbow orchard grass. the THE website says the calcium level is low enough to feed it as you would hay (can't remember the exact words but it's not high in calcium).

Yes, he has only one kidney. He's on a very carefully controlled diet, one of the main components being that dry food is seen as bad so even kale would be better than low calcium pellets as the processing of the calcium requires fluids (or something along those lines). I've never really included types of hay but if he likes the orchard grass so much that he's eating hay more than usual then the balance between wet and dry food has changed.

Re pain/gut slowdown/glucose levels. I'm clutching at straws but on both occasions I was at home with him all day and observed his behaviour. He'd only just stopped eating when the pain was obvious - rolling, pressing abdomen to floor etc. On this most recent occasion he was more obviously out of sorts earlier in the day, last time he wasn't. I *don't think* there was enough time last time for gut slowdown to have had an effect on glucose levels, I |*think* it was gut pain (but maybe I'm just trying to make it fit!).

Found it:

Scroll down to the chart: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-3/fiber.html

At 0.3% Ca it seems to be very low and unlikely to attribute to sludge. :wave:

Thank you so much for that, sorry it took me so long to type previous post I hadn't seen this when I posted it! I'm working purely on the theory Frances put to me, perhaps it's simply that he's eating a lot of dry food (ie hay) that could be the problem?

:?0.3% is very low though. I've been given 1% as too high to give him.

Edit to add: I will be ringing in an hour or so for an update on him so if I get chance I'll put the question to the vets/nurses as they may be able to dismiss/agree with the theory that it's the possible cause.

Last edited:
Today's update

He's bright and has eaten well, including all his veggies now. His urine is clear.

The reason he's in now is because he's still on sub-cut fluids and they want to monitor his urine for a bit longer. It's quite likely he will be coming home tomorrow.

Basically, he's as well as he can be just his bladder being flushed. Also it's not a rabbit vet on duty this weekend so I think it's a case of a rabbit vet ie Ruth giving him his final check and saying he can go home, she's back in on Monday.

How is Artie doing now ?

Is he home yet ?

Sorry not to have posted here for a few days, I have been thinking of Artie though xx

Thanks for asking, sorry I hadn't updated :oops::oops: I've been working solidly for days, having 4 bunny inpatients in 4 weeks has taken its toll on my work so I've had some catching up to do.

Artie came home on Monday by appointment. He's been happy and lively since. I couldn't go for him on Monday until after work so he'd had a day of being really well there - Ruth said that he had "wanted to be everybody's friend" that day, as opposed to how he presented on the Friday. :love::love::love: When he was put in the carrier on the table and I leaned towards him he turned his back on me (very noticable!) and he blanked me for the first 20 minutes after arriving home (he's never done this before). He was lively and foraging bits of hay but wouldn't acknowledge me (having just paid £250 to get the little monkey back).

Anyhow, after I'd left the room for 10 minutes he decided he did miss me after all :love::love:

His episode has been put down as a 'blip' until we know any different, there's no reason at the moment to think it's anything more. He's had a really good flush out so I'll try to stay optimistic (and keep working to pay for any more potential episodes!)

Awwww, I'm glad he's home and doing well. :love::love: And that it didn't take him long to forgive you! :lol:

Thanks again for the good wishes :love::love::love:

The little guy is definitely back on form, he's been relentless this evening, definitely making his presence felt, bless him :love::love:

Back