• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie has had bladder surgery, U/D THU ... He's Home!!! P118 photo

I hope it all goes ok and he's back home with you soon. :love::love:

It's a minefield, knowing what to feed and what not. :? :?

Well I've now just spoken to the vet and they are going to try to ease the sediment out of his bladder under GA but I got it wrong - the other option is not a bladder flush. They think the bits are to big to pass through his penis so if it doesn't ease out, which they don't really expect it to, he will actually be having his bladder opened up and the stuff scooped out :shock: Ruth did explained this yesterday but I got confused. It's regarded as better for males if the sludge is so thick as it would make his penis really sore otherwise. It's fairly routine she said, obviously risk attached to it but it's the best thing, otherwise the sludge will cause him a lot of bother in the future.

He won't be coming home tonight whatever happens.

Poor, poor Artie :cry::cry::cry: I just want to cuddle him again :cry::cry:

I have had both Bucks and Does who have required a Cystotomy. One Doe needed 2 in as many years and she was aged 11 !!
All the Rabbits recovered very well and apart from the elderly Doe none had any further problems :)

Still sending vibes for Artie

xx

I have had both Bucks and Does who have required a Cystotomy. One Doe needed 2 in as many years and she was aged 11 !!
All the Rabbits recovered very well and apart from the elderly Doe none had any further problems :)

Still sending vibes for Artie

xx

Thanks Jane, that's very reassuring. I'd only just managed to get my head round the idea of bladder flush since reading up last night, though Ruth did mention surgery yesterday but I didn't register it properly.

It just shows though, he'd only been out of sorts for an hour or so when I rang the vets. It really is important to have a rabbit savvy vet available. Many vets around the country would have given metaclopramide (no painkiller) and sent him home.

Bless poor Artie - sending lots more vibes for your special little boy & hugs for you Alison, keep us posted xxx

He had the surgery and it's gone well. He's come round from the anaesthetic, too early to make predictions on eating etc but so far so good.

I asked the nurse to give him a cuddle for me when she gets chance :oops::oops: She said she would :love::love: She assured me she will be around during the night to monitor and if necessary feed him.

I have to ring again tomorrow at 10.30.

I feel a little less sick now.

He had the surgery and it's gone well. He's come round from the anaesthetic, too early to make predictions on eating etc but so far so good.

I asked the nurse to give him a cuddle for me when she gets chance :oops::oops: She said she would :love::love: She assured me she will be around during the night to monitor and if necessary feed him.

I have to ring again tomorrow at 10.30.

I feel a little less sick now.

I am sure he will feel so much better by tomorrow.
Lots of vibes for the brave Bun :love:

restricted Kale and Spinach as they are high in calcium. Not had problems since and it was over 2 years ago.

we don't have kale here but let's talk about spinach.

I read about spinach from this link, and they said eventhough it's high in Ca,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach

Spinach also has a high calcium content. However, the oxalate content in spinach binds with calcium decreasing its absorption. By way of comparison, the body can absorb about half of the calcium present in broccoli, yet only around 5% of the calcium in spinach. Oxalate is one of a number of factors that can contribute to gout and kidney stones. Equally or more notable factors contributing to calcium stones are: genetic tendency, high intake of animal protein, excess calcium intake, excess vitamin D, prolonged immobility, hyperparathyroidism, renal tubular acidosis, and excess dietary fiber.

So what they are saying is, since spinach has a lot of oxalate, only 5% of Ca is absorbed by your body. The rest of the Fe and Ca binds w/ oxalate, and your body never absorbs it, and the Fe and Ca got flush out of the system from peeing.

Are they right?

Well I've now just spoken to the vet and they are going to try to ease the sediment out of his bladder under GA but I got it wrong - the other option is not a bladder flush. They think the bits are to big to pass through his penis so if it doesn't ease out, which they don't really expect it to, he will actually be having his bladder opened up and the stuff scooped out

I read it somewhere for human, that there are operation using Ultrasound to blast the stone into powder and let it come out by peeing. I take it this kind of technique is not available for rabbits?

He's eaten a little over night and is doing okay but not coming home today :cry::cry: He needs building up a bit more before he's ready, he needs syringe feeding as he's not eating enough yet.

I built myself up to thinking I'd collect him today so I'm really disappointed, but his recovery is going well.

God I miss him :cry::cry: They don't encourage visiting as it upsets the animals, which I totally understand. "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century" gives different advice but I can see how it would upset him to be visited and then left there.

Roll on tomorrow at 10.30 when I can ring again

Back