• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your bunnies microchipped?

I'm sorry to hear that the vet was so...off and lacking. If I were you I'd prolly be the same and be tempted to let them know that I was underwhelmed by the service because they missed out some essential elements of a basic health check.

My rspca buns are all done as a matter of course. Presumably it helps just in case your bunny ends up back at the rescue. We had our parrots done years ago. I think it's a brilliant idea. Gives me peace of mind. Apparently the chip is no bigger than a grain of rice. Just keep the paperwork up to date if you move! Also, every time we go to our vet I take a towel to put bun on when on the table as bunnies slide about with their furry feet.

Last edited:
Thanks all - I'm used to vets providing the towel, not to do so stinks of not understanding bunnies on a practical level at all. I will write a letter & I shall use your fitting term "underwhelmed". I'm not a complainer by nature but with bunnies I'm a bit more assertive

Mine are all microchipped too. Elphie and Galinda were fine with it. Athena, I didn't see her getting done.

But Zara, the cat, she was a terror when she had hers done. But she's epileptic so it's especially important for her, imo. The other cats are chipped too though. All just in case. :)

I will not be microchipping mine as they are indoors but if they were outside Buns I probably would consider it, especially if left in runs in the garden. I don't see the point if they are indoor Buns. xx

Sorry you weren't very happy with your vet joey&boo, I hope you manage to find another if that's what you're looking for.

:( *Sigh*. How disappointing. Most rabbits owners wouldn't have known any of that was a problem but it just shows how inadequate a lot of the care is out there when a rabbit-savvy owner is observing the examination and knows how it should be done.

Disgraceful. Shortly after I joined RU Esme was given the myxi vaccination by a local vet and the vet had the vaccination on the table ready as we went in and was in the process of asking me if Esme was well whilst giving the vaccination. THEN did a cursory health check. I don't think she administered the 10% part of the vaccine properly either. Needless to say that vet never got to meet any of my rabbits again. So disappointed for you.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I had a similar experience recently with Beano and Gordon. They both went in for their booster and the vet asked me absolutely nothing, nothing about diet, behaviour, care etc. I got Beano out of the carrier first and put her on the scales myself, she is a bit of a pain at the vets so I said she might be a bit nippy and I this seemed to 'scare' the vet who didn't hold her correctly so she struggled and the vets way of trying to calm her was really roughly scratching behind her ears, I said Beano wasn't keen on strokes there and she was nearly flattening herself out to get away from the vets grip :( After this she didn't check her heart, bum, ears or nothing and gave the injection straight into her neck so I don't think she did the part which goes under the skin either? Gordon is a lot easier to handle at the vets so she did give him a very brief check of his ears and eyes but that was it and the same with the injection. Wondering whether I should move to a different practice now as I had a bad experience with this vet with my ratties as well.

Sorry you weren't very happy with your vet joey&boo, I hope you manage to find another if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I had a similar experience recently with Beano and Gordon. They both went in for their booster and the vet asked me absolutely nothing, nothing about diet, behaviour, care etc. I got Beano out of the carrier first and put her on the scales myself, she is a bit of a pain at the vets so I said she might be a bit nippy and I this seemed to 'scare' the vet who didn't hold her correctly so she struggled and the vets way of trying to calm her was really roughly scratching behind her ears, I said Beano wasn't keen on strokes there and she was nearly flattening herself out to get away from the vets grip :( After this she didn't check her heart, bum, ears or nothing and gave the injection straight into her neck so I don't think she did the part which goes under the skin either? Gordon is a lot easier to handle at the vets so she did give him a very brief check of his ears and eyes but that was it and the same with the injection. Wondering whether I should move to a different practice now as I had a bad experience with this vet with my ratties as well.

I reckon we should go on our instincts as much as anything else. If they can't handle a rabbit its a pretty poor start. Luckily I am very happy with my longer distance vet. If only I could teleport

Mabel is yes, and Sox was, it was just like an injection other in second , I think the cost roughly is about £12 however sometimes offers are on, and worth checking local rspca events
another point Mabel was micro chipped when she was about 6 months old, after reading stories about migrating microchips in dogs on a vet facebook page, I asked my vet to double check my rabbits last year, and thinking they would be fine it rare, and what happens Mabel only had to become first to have a microchip that had migrated, it doesn't harm them, they tried scanning for ages even using different scanners, so Mabel was given a brand new micro chip :lol:
I know she is a house bun, and has supervised time outdoors, I do not trust anyone round here, so just for my peace of mind

I reckon we should go on our instincts as much as anything else. If they can't handle a rabbit its a pretty poor start. Luckily I am very happy with my longer distance vet. If only I could teleport

Yeah, Jake is registered at vets4pets which is different to Beano and Gordon (aire vets) as we adopted him that's where we could use his neuter and vaccine vouchers and we have been very impressed with them and their rabbit knowledge so thinking of taking Beano and Gordon there instead but it is longer distance and I don't drive so it's either a taxi or two bus rides. We do need that teleport haha!

If this was recently then the part of the injection under the skin doesn't apply anymore with the combined vaccine, that was just with the previous myxi vaccination, so hopefully you won't need to worry about that aspect.

If this was recently then the part of the injection under the skin doesn't apply anymore with the combined vaccine, that was just with the previous myxi vaccination, so hopefully you won't need to worry about that aspect.

Ah thank you, I wasn't sure whether it still applied with the combined vaccine!

Lopsy's not: vet did ask about it and regale me with the benefits as befits a rabbit-savvy vet but where we live (the industrial estate), if he did get out it'd be instant lorry-death, canal drowning (possibly aided by vicious coots) or one of the neighbours would hand him back :) If we lived somewhere more residential or suburban, I probably would have!

Back