• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there any bunnies you wish in hindsight you'd adopted, but didn't

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
About 18 years ago in the Pets@Home adoption section in Hull I met the most beautiful black bunny, Lulu. She came to the front of her tank and was begging & putting her paws on the glass. I can't remember exactly what was going on in my bunny life but remember saying I'd give it 3 days & if she was still there I'd adopt her myself. She'd gone to her new home - i hope it was a nice one:love:

Again in P@H adoption but this time in Colne, Lancs we saw "Ziggy". Ziggy was Boo's doppleganger (tad thinner face but otherwise identical). He was estimated to be the same age as Boo & his notes (like her RSPCA ones) said he was found loose / "wandering". I think we both kinda regret not getting Ziggy. The idea of 2 Boo's makes my heart sing:love: (though I know siblings don't have to have similar personalities). Ziggy is one name I'd have kept too,

How about you lot? Ever had unrequited love for a bunny ?

I nearly took on 4 female buns and 1 male.. 1 female was pregnant and the other three had babies of varying ages [emoji51][emoji38]

I do regret it and I also don't.. Like yikes that would've been tough, but equally I could've managed it and I worry what happened to them [emoji51] they weren't in a good situation [emoji51] they were all calis and 2 months later I saw Apricot and Penelope up for adoption and took them immediately [emoji38] Idk why I just knew they were meant to be mine.

Other than that I don't think so!

A double of Boo would be amazing [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I nearly took on 4 female buns and 1 male.. 1 female was pregnant and the other three had babies of varying ages [emoji51][emoji38]

I do regret it and I also don't.. Like yikes that would've been tough, but equally I could've managed it and I worry what happened to them [emoji51] they weren't in a good situation [emoji51] they were all calis and 2 months later I saw Apricot and Penelope up for adoption and took them immediately [emoji38] Idk why I just knew they were meant to be mine.

Other than that I don't think so!

A double of Boo would be amazing [emoji7]

Oh my gosh - I mean that is a LOT of bunnies but it sounds like thats what led you to Penelope & Apricot :love:

Oh my gosh - I mean that is a LOT of bunnies but it sounds like thats what led you to Penelope & Apricot :love:
Yep! I went and saw them and they were so tiny and I was trying to work out a way of moving them and I was planning to get them all neutered and vaxed and rehomed, honestly though I did think, who would want them. I love calis, like absolutely love them, but I prefer big buns and I know mostly its the other way round and I did worry who would take buns at 6 months of that breed. Each litter was easily 10 buns. I was sad though when a backyard breeder bought them because I didn't know what would happen to them. Not that I had any knowledge of rearing kits tho so tbh it might have been better for them what happened tbh [emoji38] I also spoke to someone at the rwaf about the situation.

But yes! If it wasn't for that lot of buns I'd have never have noticed Apricot and Penelope, which would've been awful because I'm so so so glad I saw them and took them home [emoji7]

Yep! I went and saw them and they were so tiny and I was trying to work out a way of moving them and I was planning to get them all neutered and vaxed and rehomed, honestly though I did think, who would want them. I love calis, like absolutely love them, but I prefer big buns and I know mostly its the other way round and I did worry who would take buns at 6 months of that breed. Each litter was easily 10 buns. I was sad though when a backyard breeder bought them because I didn't know what would happen to them. Not that I had any knowledge of rearing kits tho so tbh it might have been better for them what happened tbh [emoji38] I also spoke to someone at the rwaf about the situation.

But yes! If it wasn't for that lot of buns I'd have never have noticed Apricot and Penelope, which would've been awful because I'm so so so glad I saw them and took them home [emoji7]

I'd have a Cali - they are beautiful bunnies. But thats besides the point, it sounds a v overwhelming situation for any individual to take on

I'd have a Cali - they are beautiful bunnies. But thats besides the point, it sounds a v overwhelming situation for any individual to take on
Oh yea definitely! [emoji38] Yea I was just thinking where can I find 40 plus good homes for a larger breed some with red eyes which are considered ugly (not by me ofc, Apricot has beautiful ice blue eyes with a pink tinge over [emoji7])

Aww these bunnies all sound lovely!

For me it was a black and white Dutch for sale in the garden centre when I was 13 ish, I had Beano then who was also bought from that garden centre (before I knew about rabbits in rescue etc!). I really wanted him to bond with her but at that point my parents didn't realise the importance of Beano being spayed and having a friend. We soon found that out though and then found this forum and adopted Gordon from honeybunnies.

Then more recently a ginger Dutch (there's a theme here!) as part of the huge rescue of bunnies I helped with through work and mainly the amazing help from the bunny angels network. I'd named him Rowan and had planned to keep him and either attempt a trio or consider a fourth, but it was more for selfish reasons of me loving Dutch rabbits and he had a great personality than me actually being able to offer a third and even fourth rabbit a home. Plus since I then round out I was going to be a mum it wasn't practical, he got placed with a local rescue and has since been adopted :)

There were two single boy buns available when I was looking on the RSPCA site for a new friend for Fudgie after we lost Snoopy. There was Scipio (then called Inky) and Bobby and I was really torn over which one to choose. I can't really remember why but I went for Scipio in the end.

I did keep checking the site to see if Bobby had found a home. I think he did for a short while as his profile had disappeared. But he came back, so I assume it was due to a failed bonding.

Sadly, he is still waiting for a home so a part of me feels a bit guilty for not choosing him and giving him a chance. The good news is that he does at least have a friend as he was paired up with a female who was brought in. I would really love for them to find their forever home soon.

Having said that I love having Scipio and couldn't imagine life without him. The bonding with Fudgie was a bit tricky and it took about six months for him to settle down as he was still very young and lairy. He may have also been returned as a failed bond and perhaps would still be waiting for his forever home.

I was at work and I took a rare walk on my lunch break and saw a cute little black bunny in a cage outside a nearby home with a sign that he was free. I stopped to check him out and woman allowed me to hold him and give him a quick health check. Reason was her son allergic. Just as I was ready to make a decision, her son came home from school and he questioned what was happening. I left them alone and bunny was not there a few minutes later.

The two ruby eyed whites who'd been dumped with Mimzy. We did try to capture them but one disappeared before we could set up traps (probably predated) and the other became very ill suddenly and passed away.

After adopting Pip and Fiver from Petco and being limited by the OH on having other bunnies, there came up an adorable harlequin mini lop at the store and I was thinking a quad would be so lovely but the OH didn't agree.

It really would likely have been a bit too much, seeing as I never properly bonded the three. :(

A white lionhead with grey eyes at P@H. Like a tiny cloud and all friendly and meercatting up. I was looking for a bond for Stakki but knew I had to get a female and P@H wouldn't sex the bunny or allow me to. I went back twice more to 'talk' to the little lion but she or he was then rehomed. ��

When I volunteered at the wildlife rescue, I met the loveliest Flemish Giant (they take care of stray tame bunnies as well, as there's no rabbit rescues around here). This was when I had just started volunteering, so I was still very anxious about spending time with the other volunteers and staff, so I sometimes spent time with him instead. He was so sweet and loved nose rubs. :love: I seriously considered adopting him, even though I didn't really have the space for three bunnies, especially with one of them being a giant, since I was living in a house with two other people and only had a bedroom to myself, and there was Sophie and Casper's bond to consider, too, though I thought I could at least try to see if they liked each other on neutral territory. Sadly, not long after, he passed away. :( Maybe if I had adopted him things would've gone differently for him, and he could've known a loving home with bunny friends...

Yes ! It was about 12 years ago, I'd just moved house with my then partner. He'd got me George as a "present" not long after my mum died, problem was we rented a "no pets" pròperty. Found a nice house where we could all live so off we went. I'd nipped into P & H one day for cat litter, and spotted a large grey bunny called Big Dave, all on his own. He came over and I was able to lean in and scratch his head, I was smitten. Went home and told partner, and he said let's go get him, but I hesitated as had nowhere to put him then. We went next day, he'd gone :( I was really upset and still think of him. I hope you had a happy life lad, I've never forgotten you xx

I can honestly say no, there weren't any :)

Gracie - why didn't we know about this possibility with all those rabbits :love: Were they rescued meat rabbits? I think the number of rabbits in Tui's rescue was 34, but Jane might correct me on that :)

I can honestly say no, there weren't any :)

Gracie - why didn't we know about this possibility with all those rabbits :love: Were they rescued meat rabbits? I think the number of rabbits in Tui's rescue was 34, but Jane might correct me on that :)
I hadn't been on the forum that long and I was worried I might get judged [emoji51] no one really knows the resources someone has ofc but if someone posted they were gunna take on that many rabbits, most people would be like woah.. Is that a good idea? [emoji38][emoji38] Like even me! [emoji38]

I did tell a member on here and they helped me contact the rwaf which I didn't even really know about then. But it didn't really work out. I should've just gone with my gut and got them I think [emoji38] but I was trying to be responsible and they went [emoji51] yea they were :( I still have the pictures I think on my mac, they were so cute [emoji7]

I wish I had waited before rushing into getting bunnies again but at the time I kept thinking they were so hard to get and when I had the opportunity, I grabbed the first two. I first started looking for rescues but every single time I was unsuccessful so I gave up and went to look for some independently to rescue and somebody had a litter of rabbits so I rescued two who turned out to be Lucky and Lacey. I don't regret having them because I love my bunnies but I just wish I had waited and got some already spayed and neutered bu8nnies and also had a look at what other people have so that I could get a nice mix of bunnies.

There was a nice bunny he was neutered and vaccinated mini lop in tortoise shell with a bit of white on him with blue eyes I really wanted to adopt but he already had everybody else wanting to adopt him. I had no chance I tried but I never heard anything back until they said he had been re-homed.

Back