• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie Got Stuck trying to squeeze through the Wire

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
He has a Puppy Pen all round his enclosure and I found him stuck between the bars.. The bars are 1.5" apart. He managed to squeeze out but he is very quiet. What a silly boy! He is quite a small boy but could he have damaged himself?

Poor boy. I bet being stuck and trying to squeeze out was very stressful for. Him. I hope that he is okay and not hurt at all.

He has a Puppy Pen all round his enclosure and I found him stuck between the bars.. The bars are 1.5" apart. He managed to squeeze out but he is very quiet. What a silly boy! He is quite a small boy but could he have damaged himself?

Jaw injuries often occur when a Rabbit gets themself stuck in the bars of an enclosure. I would advise a Vet check ASAP. Is he eating normally and passing poo ?

I hope he will be ok. I’d suggest getting him checked over at the vets, sending lots of vibes xx

Aww Archie :( naughty boy for trying to squish through :(
Hope he's OK and if he is that he learned his lesson to not do it again :(

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Are you sure he squeezed out and did not hop over? Also, are bars solid where they would not be flexible enough to be pressed apart with his skull before spring back over his body and be more likely to cause serious injury?
Vet check is recommended because he may have bruising/swelling that requires pain meds even if no internal injuries.
Sending vibes.

So sorry I didn't reply to everyone yesterday but Archie seems to be none the worse for his antics. I have to keep a close eye on him but he is eating etc normally. Giving me dirty looks though as if it was my fault. It was very upsetting to find him halfway through the bars, the rear half of him seemed to be the part he couldn't manage to free. I was in panic mode as there didn't seem to be anything I could do. the bars are heavy duty so no way can you bend them or cut through them. From looking at him it looked like half of him was through one bar and the other was through the next, meaning the bar had gone right through him! Fortunately this wasn't the case so I gently pushed him all the way through, he had to twist himself to get his second leg through! I really thought he would have dislocated his leg or broke it even, but he seems to have been very lucky. He was trying to get to some grass on the other side of the pen so I am trying to think of a way to make it safer. I can't do double mesh at this point as it has the door in it which I need to get in to the shed and enclosure.

It's really a very worrying situation you're going through. What you feel is very normal. But Archie seems to have gotten off cheap, thank Allah.

So sorry I didn't reply to everyone yesterday but Archie seems to be none the worse for his antics. I have to keep a close eye on him but he is eating etc normally. Giving me dirty looks though as if it was my fault. It was very upsetting to find him halfway through the bars, the rear half of him seemed to be the part he couldn't manage to free. I was in panic mode as there didn't seem to be anything I could do. the bars are heavy duty so no way can you bend them or cut through them. From looking at him it looked like half of him was through one bar and the other was through the next, meaning the bar had gone right through him! Fortunately this wasn't the case so I gently pushed him all the way through, he had to twist himself to get his second leg through! I really thought he would have dislocated his leg or broke it even, but he seems to have been very lucky. He was trying to get to some grass on the other side of the pen so I am trying to think of a way to make it safer. I can't do double mesh at this point as it has the door in it which I need to get in to the shed and enclosure.
Glad to hear he's ok but does sound like quite an ordeal! :(
When I had to pen my boys in I used their hidey house and litter tray and such against the sides as I was worried Athie might try something like Archie, not sure if that could help?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

How traumatic for you both. Glad he is ok. Can you mesh the door separately? Or weave something through the bars to lessen the gap?

This reminds me of the time my sister was 4 or 5 and she got her head stuck between bars in an iron railing. Several family and neighbors tried to free her as she was screaming until one turned her upside down and got her out face first.

Last edited:
How traumatic for you both. Glad he is ok. Can you mesh the door separately? Or weave something through the bars to lessen the gap?

This reminds me of the time my sister was 4 or 5 and she got her head stuck between bars in an iron railing. Several family and neighbors tried to free her as she was screaming until one turned her upside down and got her out face first.

I had a man who makes enclosures round yesterday to give me an estimate so I am waiting to find out how much it will cost. That must have been awful for your Sister. The Bunnies live in a 7 x 5 shed so this enclosure will be attached to it.

I had a man who makes enclosures round yesterday to give me an estimate so I am waiting to find out how much it will cost. That must have been awful for your Sister. The Bunnies live in a 7 x 5 shed so this enclosure will be attached to it.

That sounds wonderful. I hope quote is within your budget.

You could tie wrap mesh to the inside of the pen so he can’t push through again. You can do the door separately.

Back