• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple tree branches

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Ok so my understanding is that rabbits can eat apple tree branches. Correct me if I'm wrong! Is there any difference between apple and crab apple trees or can they eat both branches? We have a lot of orchards around here. Would you just go and pick up branches that have fallen off? Do I need to do anything to them before giving them to the bunnies?

We have a lot of plum trees round here too. Can they eat the branches from those trees too? I don't plan to give them the fruit just the twigs if can find some that have fallen off. There's a lot of conflicting advice on the internet as usual. Some say no to fruit tree branches and others say yes! :?

Thanks!

Someone posted this on a fb group -

Safe twigs:

Apple
Birch
Blackberry
Fir
Hazel
Hawthorn
Maple
Pear
Raspberry
Spruce
Willow

Unsafe twigs:

Acacia
Apricot
Azalea
Beech
Box
Cherry
Clematis
Elder
Holly
Ivy
Laburnum
Mistletoe
Nux vomica
Oak
Oleander
Peach
Periwinkle
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Rosewood
Snowberry
Spindleberry
Thorn apple
Waxplant
Wisteria
Yew
All evergreens not mentioned in safe list.

I think crab apple is just one of many varieties of apple tree and all are bunny safe, but please don't take that as certain until someone can confirm!

I'd give them a quick wash before you give to the bunnies. I also don't like picking off the floor so I cut straight off the tree but obviously it depends who owns the tree/how big it is/whether you'd be comfortable with that!

I think crab apple is just one of many varieties of apple tree and all are bunny safe, but please don't take that as certain until someone can confirm!

I'd give them a quick wash before you give to the bunnies. I also don't like picking off the floor so I cut straight off the tree but obviously it depends who owns the tree/how big it is/whether you'd be comfortable with that!

I presume the orchards are owned so I wouldn't want to go cutting bits off those. We have a few willow trees down by the river by my house and I said to my mum about going to cut some bits off and she was horrified by the idea! No one owns them as such though and I presume cutting a few twigs off it isn't going to kill the tree or anything.

Thanks for the list. It's a bit of minefield really! It's funny how apple tree is okay but plum isn't. I think willow is about the only other tree I can recognise, assuming that weeping willow is the same thing anway :oops: So not greenfingered at all!

I presume the orchards are owned so I wouldn't want to go cutting bits off those. We have a few willow trees down by the river by my house and I said to my mum about going to cut some bits off and she was horrified by the idea! No one owns them as such though and I presume cutting a few twigs off it isn't going to kill the tree or anything.

Yes I definitely wouldn't cut bits off if you don't know the owner of the orchard. I do cut twigs from a few random 'wild' trees I know of but I have no idea if there are rules or laws about it.

All kinds of apple are ok for bunnies. Mine treat the branches and leaves the same, but are not keen on crab apple fruit. I wouldn't feed fallen branches - only use healthy ones cut straight from the tree. As long as the tree hasn't been sprayed, it should be OK as picked. You could ask the owner to save some prunings for you, although that would normally be later in the year as they are about to flower, so pruning now will affect the crop.

All willows are also ok. Willows are often found growing by water (canals, rivers, lakes etc) so are easy to find. They grow very fast and respond well to being cut back hard - so they are not going to suffer from a slight trim. Round here, the byelaws forbid you to pick / remove anything from public parks and woodland areas...

Other fruit trees - if it has a stoned fruit (eg plum), it is generally not OK for rabbits.

Back