• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anywhere to loan 6ft hutches from?

Livi

Alpha Buck
I am looking into getting a second Bunny to bond with Pip once she is spayed & recovered. However I will need a second hutch to house my new bun in and it will need to be a min of 6 x 2 ft. Obviously I would rather not shell out for another new hutch, as I hope in about 8-10 weeks time I will not need it at all.
Does anyone know of any loan schemes or have a hutch available to loan? I am based in North London but will travel or pay courier costs....
Strange question I know :lol: alternatively if anyone can recommend a cheap 6 foot hutch that will be great too! Doesnt have to be the greatest quality as it will only be temporary...! Thank you xx

I can't think of anywhere that would rent them out - not much call for it. The best option would be to arrange a bonding date once she's ready. You take her to the rescue, she meets a few matches, the rescue does the bonding and then you bring home two bonded rabbits and they live together straight away :) Then you don't need temporary housing.

If you want to do the bonding yourself, your going to need neutral space anyway so again, wait til she's ready and then get bun no. 2. Pop them both in the temporary neutral space (an inside room eg bathroom where you can keep a close eye works best) then once they are bonded they go straight back in the original accommodation.

Thanks Tamsin....We have a little issue! The bunny in question sounds perfect for Pip, he has already been castrated....she is booked in for spaying 23rd Aug....But as its a small homing organisation, all the bunnies are in fosters so he cant be reserved....

I only have a 4 foot apex hutch spare (not mine, it was the guinea pigs next doors hutch till they moved indoors)...And obviously I doubt very much I would be allowed to take a second bunny on to live in that....having said that it would prob only be for 2 weeks, as i could move new bunny into current 6 foot double hutch while Pip is away being spayed & then gradually put her back into small hutch at first (as she will need to be kept confined anyway) and then switch each bun between the two hutches for the next few weeks to get smells used to each other etc & then eventually begin the bonding process....hmm its so tricky!

We do bonding from here for a donation if the rabbits are not from us if that helps.

Alternatively, we have the most beautiful little male rabbit called Flapjack, who is the last of his littermates to be reserved!

I am moving to Surrey shortly, and am back and forth at the moment, so could happily come and meet you if distance is an issue.

If they rescue aren't willing to do the bonding for you, surely they would accept him living in the smaller hutch until they're bonded, on the udnerstanding that he'd be moving in with your girl afterwards :? It's the permanent accommodation that counts, after all.

Failing that maybe you have another local rescue who would take both buns in for a week for bonding, for a small donation. good luck x

Thank you for your help everyone. We have had our home check today and passed.

We are trying to arrange to meet 'Kirk' a lovely little bun we spotted online :love: however if it doesnt work out and there is nobody else suitable when we visit then I will definately be in touch with you re Flapjack :love: love his name, he looks adorable & I am sure Pip would love him!

Surrey isnt too far from us either & thank you for your bonding offer, may take you up on that one. Its great that you offer this service :)

Back