• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone go to the vet just for nail clipping?! -Found a better solution :)

I normally have the vets do my bun's, simply so while she is there she can be weighed (as we were trying to get her from underweight to normal) and they seem to be better at getting to them! I have nail clippers at home too, and if I see one or more is getting a bit too long I can occasionally trim one before she realizes what I'm doing and runs back into her little wooden cottage to hide from me :lol: Vets and nurses are there to help you with whatever you need so don't feel bad getting them to help! x

She may have arthritis in her toes aswell as her spine. So nail clipping could be painful for her.

It might help to time nail clipping so that you do it about an hour after her dose of Metacam. Assuming that she is on daily Metacam for her spinal arthritis ?

Yes she has metacam twice a day.

I've booked her an appointment and will give her the metacam an hour before.
Going to get her teeth checked while we're there too and she is a dental bun and get her weighed as she struggles to keep her weight on she's so teeny tiny :(

Yes, Ludo is going on Thursday. Two nurses do it though not a vet. It costs £5 and they say he's cute. :lol:

I used to. Every few months they would go for claw clippings. If I could i would sync it with vaccinations to save a trip.

ste refused to help because he had a bad experience clipping ralph the dogs claws before we met and i couldnt do it on my own.

not the bunnies, but I do take my piggies to the vet just for nail trimming, as they have black feet and I find it very difficult to know where to cut. One of the vets is lovely, she is so gentle with them. The buns tend to be ok, as they are out on concrete and grass every day and do a bit of digging, so they usually get their nails checked when they are at the vet for other things

Yes, I've taken mine to the vet just to get their nails clipped. Although was advised when I booked the appointment to get a nurse to do it rather than the vet as it's much, much cheaper - tip for you there!

So after phoning my vet to check how much the clipping would cost I cancelled it. £12.50 EACH with the nurse!!!!
I nevet thoght about this but one of my friends has bunnies so I held her while she cut her nails, not to much fuss, she was grumpy but not to distressed :)

I've seen a tip on here recently & it's the best one I've ever seen...
If you get one of the mesh netting bags (onions come in them) and hold it over bunny toes while cutting nails, it pulls all the fur back so you can actually see the nail very clearly, we used it the other day to do oscars nails and it really made a difference, we were done so much quicker than usual and it was far less stressful than usual for oscar and us

So after phoning my vet to check how much the clipping would cost I cancelled it. £12.50 EACH with the nurse!!!!
I nevet thoght about this but one of my friends has bunnies so I held her while she cut her nails, not to much fuss, she was grumpy but not to distressed :)

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Shadowfax gets hers cut at the vets, although hers grow very slowly. She is not handleable and has black nails..nightmare! She had hers done when she had her vacs last month. Personally, I wouldn't pay to have them done (especially £12.50 each!) but I'd book her in for a checkup and get her weight, teeth and nails checked. I'm usually there with one of the buns (I feel like I live there!) so it's not a big deal and they generally only charge me for one consultation. My vets are pretty good like that, though.

My other two HATE having their nails cut, but I manage to do it with the least amount of stress. It's much easier with two people. If one holds a bun against them, you can just pull out their feet enough to clip the nails, instead of having to hold them on their back or suspend them in the air. Fiver has arthritis in his spine and he finds this much more comfortable. I also let them have breaks when they start getting stressed so they can calm down. :thumb: The quicker the better (within reason) they will only sit for so long before getting bored and trying to escape. :roll:

Back