• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else get the 22kg bale of hay (timothy from hay experts?)

Not at tha price i wouldn't! :shock: The new lot of hay I got locally (a farm bale) is lovely and green and sounds just like what they are describing - I expect it is standard meadow hay but my buns love it anyway. :D

I pat under a £5 for my Hay bale from my local Animal Feed supplier I wouldn't dream of buying a 60 pound bale for them ...Are you a millioner or somthing ?

It might seem expensive but it is Oxbow and is absolutely gorgeous hay. As a guide I can tell you feedback we have had has been that one of these boxes lasts 5 guinea pigs 2-3 months if that helps.

I would order a variety of hays from the Hay Expert and see what they like. The delivery is under £5.00 and you get such a lot for that. I would order some bags of Oxbow timothy, Oxbow Orchard (which mine prefer to the timothy) and try some of the extensive range of hays on their site. The quality of all this hay is great. Its not expensive if they are not sleeping on it and they are eating it all.

I love Hay Experts.

Yes, I buy the very large size - mine love it and it works out much cheaper than buying it in the smaller sizes. I get it on-line from SPH, along with large bags of litter for my cats and tubs of Virkon disinfectant.

Not at tha price i wouldn't! :shock: The new lot of hay I got locally (a farm bale) is lovely and green and sounds just like what they are describing - I expect it is standard meadow hay but my buns love it anyway. :D

That's what I get Louie as well, he eats it so no way would I pay any more for posh hay!

Yes, I buy the very large size - mine love it and it works out much cheaper than buying it in the smaller sizes. I get it on-line from SPH, along with large bags of litter for my cats and tubs of Virkon disinfectant.

Whats SPH? :) Thanks xxx

I pat under a £5 for my Hay bale from my local Animal Feed supplier I wouldn't dream of buying a 60 pound bale for them ...Are you a millioner or somthing ?

No lol, but i pay £20 a bale for dust free meadow hay at the moment so i guess i'ts not that much of a stretch to pay £60.00.

Not millionarie, no where near :) hehe xxxx

Some of mine like meadow, some don't eat much hay at all , so i'm trying to get my ones that don't eating more xxxxxxxx

It might seem expensive but it is Oxbow and is absolutely gorgeous hay. As a guide I can tell you feedback we have had has been that one of these boxes lasts 5 guinea pigs 2-3 months if that helps.

I guess it would last my lot a month with a bale of meadow as well. Mind you some of them don't eat much hay at all. I think i have 3 of them that account for 50% of the hay eating :) Thanks for the gauge. How much do guinea pigs eat in comparrison to bunnies hay wise? xxx

How much do guinea pigs eat in comparrison to bunnies hay wise

I was told guinea pigs need at least 75% hay in their diet so its still quite high. However my guinea pigs are tiny (seriously they seem to be about half the size of everyone elses piggies I know) so probably only go through about half the amount the buns do.

I'd definitely be willing to buy it at that price if I knew they would like it. I buy 3kg bags of hay for £17 each the Heu Natural Alpine Hay. Hay is the most important thing you can give them so I'm willing to pay for hay they like therefore eat loads of.

It's actually per kg quite a bit cheaper than the stuff I'm buying, perhaps I should get a sample of it. :?

Whats SPH? :) Thanks xxx

Sorry, Ambience: they do all sorts of animal feeds, disinfectants, etc sphsupplies.co.uk. Very helpful and friendly, excellent delivery. Incidentally, I feed the Oxbow Timothy in the hope that, as they eat lots and lots of it, it might help with cutting down on vet bills! Not sure how realistic this is - my 3 are due to have teeth checked, vacs, etc, next week.

Ambience, as you are in Yorkshire did you know Lynne (holidayhutch) sells LOADS of different hays, Oxbow, burns, dustfree etc, and lots of other fantastic Bunny stuff and may delivery it free personally to you depending on what area you live :D
Her web address is http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c.../?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3336/Categories/Rabbits.

You would be wise to try the hay sample bags they sell, that gives your Bunnys chance to sample and 'tell' you what their favourites are. :wave:

Back