• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone do Rabbit Vac4Life?

Just to add it looks like the KC vaccine isn't included in the vac4life which is highly recommended for any dog that is social with other dogs. (Kennel Cough is spread anywhere dogs gather. e.g. parks, vets, multidog households etc).

So effectively any dog owner wanting full protection will have to pay for the KC vac separately as rabbit owners do for the RHD2

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes, I noticed that :)

It would make sense if Head Office hadn't assured me much earlier this year that when they felt RHD2 to be a necessity and not a 'nice option' they would include it in the Rabbit Plan .. :lol:

That bit has been on their website for many months from when Filavac wasn't easily available, so no - it's not a deliberate clarification now :)

Filavac has been around for 18 months now. It may not have been added 'now' but it was added since filavac was first imported and no doubt in response to loads of people asking this very question ;)

Just to add it looks like the KC vaccine isn't included in the vac4life which is highly recommended for any dog that is social with other dogs. (Kennel Cough is spread anywhere dogs gather. e.g. parks, vets, multidog households etc).

So effectively any dog owner wanting full protection will have to pay for the KC vac separately as rabbit owners do for the RHD2

I disagree that it's a necessary vaccination, as would a lot of other dog owners. It's a bit controversial, not every vet recommends it.

It's not really comparable to rhd2 either way though as rhd2 is a deadly virus while kc isn't. So I think it's a lot better if dog owners have to pay separately for kc than rabbit owners having to for rhd2.

I disagree that it's a necessary vaccination, as would a lot of other dog owners. It's a bit controversial, not every vet recommends it.

It's not really comparable to rhd2 either way though as rhd2 is a deadly virus while kc isn't. So I think it's a lot better if dog owners have to pay separately for kc than rabbit owners having to for rhd2.

I didn't say necessary as far as I recall. I just said that it was highly recommended for social dogs.
Obviously KC doesn't kill adult dogs but it is highly contagious and definitely poses a risk to the young, old and immune suppressed. I have seen it in practice and have previously intensely nursed a little cocker puppy that had contracted it at puppy classes. The pup grew up to have damaged bronchi. (Pup was around 16 weeks when he contracted it, more than old enough to have been given the vaccine as my vet had suggested).

I get what you're saying in regards to the mortality rate though. I imagine at some point the RHD2 will be added to vac4life but it'll be at least a couple years before its strongly considered. Especially as the cost of the vaccine varies so much across the country atm.

Filavac has been around for 18 months now. It may not have been added 'now' but it was added since filavac was first imported and no doubt in response to loads of people asking this very question ;)

At the time the website was 'live' and when I talked to head office earlier this year, despite the fact that Filavac was around, this was their position:

1. It's not available in the UK

2. It hasn't been tested in the UK and so it's unknown whether it even works or not!

As my initial post on this thread states ;)

Also, Filavac hasn't always been easily available, despite it being around 'for 18 months now'

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you say there - but that's all an entirely separate issue to the specific stating of RHD-1. It's like you're trying to argue with me about oranges being orange because I stated that apples are not always green.

I don't disagree with anything you say there - but that's all an entirely separate issue to the specific stating of RHD-1. It's like you're trying to argue with me about oranges being orange because I stated that apples are not always green.

Thank you :)

I would now like to return to the original topic under discussion :)

I didn't say necessary as far as I recall. I just said that it was highly recommended for social dogs.
Obviously KC doesn't kill adult dogs but it is highly contagious and definitely poses a risk to the young, old and immune suppressed. I have seen it in practice and have previously intensely nursed a little cocker puppy that had contracted it at puppy classes. The pup grew up to have damaged bronchi. (Pup was around 16 weeks when he contracted it, more than old enough to have been given the vaccine as my vet had suggested).

I get what you're saying in regards to the mortality rate though. I imagine at some point the RHD2 will be added to vac4life but it'll be at least a couple years before its strongly considered. Especially as the cost of the vaccine varies so much across the country atm.

Such a shame it isn't already .. One practice told me that it was incorporated into their Vac4Life and another said that when it was available to them it certainly would be :)

No as Vets4Pets and my regular practice 'The Vet' don't include the RHD2 vaccine. In the lifetime of my rabbits a new combination vaccine might be made, or one might be required for a new disease. If everything was included I probably would pay for it but if they won't include this new(ish) and very essential vaccine, who's to say they'd include any new future vaccines? Nobivac might eventually be replaced completely by a new combination vacc, but if it's more expensive what would the vet do?

No as Vets4Pets and my regular practice 'The Vet' don't include the RHD2 vaccine. In the lifetime of my rabbits a new combination vaccine might be made, or one might be required for a new disease. If everything was included I probably would pay for it but if they won't include this new(ish) and very essential vaccine, who's to say they'd include any new future vaccines? Nobivac might eventually be replaced completely by a new combination vacc, but if it's more expensive what would the vet do?

I agree with you DemiS. I would certainly pay if the RHD2 was included also, as it's to combat a deadly virus and not 'optional'.

I hope in time it may be incorporated into the Novibac/Myxo vaccine, as currently rabbits getting that, then RHD2, get a double dosage of RHD1 vaccine ..

Back