• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animals in petshops at Christmas

The petshop I work at got about 20 new puppies in only about four days ago and about 5 of those have been sold already. All the hamsters were sold and there were new kittens but no-one wanted the rabbits. They have been there for about two months. They aren't baby rabbits so that's probably why they aren't being sold. Some one has to go there every day to feed, water and clean them out. The plan was to sell all the animals before Christmas and not have any animals to look after over Christmas, but the manager went and saw an opportuntiey to sell puppies so went and got loads of puppies. :roll: It's a business, if there's an easy opportuntiey for a large amount of money, most of you would take it. I know I would.

20 puppies???? Bloomin' heck :shock: :shock:

I didn't think there were many people daft enough to buy puppies from a pet shop these days?

Amy

^I know. There were litters of them. I would never buy a puppy from a pet store, but some people do, and at this particular pet shop, it's their main source of income.

^I know. There were litters of them. I would never buy a puppy from a pet store, but some people do, and at this particular pet shop, it's their main source of income.

I never knew you were still aloud to sell puppies in petshops:shock::shock:
Sallyx

Last edited:
The petshop I work at got about 20 new puppies in only about four days ago and about 5 of those have been sold already.... It's a business, if there's an easy opportuntiey for a large amount of money, most of you would take it. I know I would.

I cannot believe how irresponsible that is and as for making money, I like to think most of us have morals :?

Both of the pet stores I used to work in, had members of staff going in at somepoint over both christmas day and boxing day. We were normally open new years day...if memory serves me correctly.

What one did do, was on christmas eve was double feed, and water the animals just before closing in the evening. Just incase whoevers job it was to come in the following morning didnt arrive until the afternoon. One year they asked me to do it as 'i lived the closest'. I kindly told them that although I would have loved to have helped they wanted me to stay for about two hours and not get paid for it, to take a hike.
Not only that, but at the time I had my own 14 rabbits, 8 gunieas and other animals to prepare christmas meals for and make sure were ok!.lol:lol:

If I worked in a petshop I would be living there for Christmas! :lol: - I would love tosit with the animals all day - get the bunnies out for a run round destroying the shop - opening all the products for thhem to play with etc etc :roll: :lol:

Those poor puppies though... I guess the dog is for life not just for christmas still falls on deaf ears :(

Theres quite a lot of animals left in my local pet shop, that Ive also worked at, including 3 rex rabbits and 1 cross breed who have been there for months :( But I know for a fact Karen, the manager, will be in tomorrow and Thursday for feeding etc!

Thats digusting, all those pups have come from some :censored: puppymill, if I were you I'd report the breeder to the RSPCA, as no proper dog breeeder would ever dream of selling their pups to a shop and NO good breeder has more than one litter at a time!:cry:

Thats digusting, all those pups have come from some :censored: puppymill, if I were you I'd report the breeder to the RSPCA, as no proper dog breeeder would ever dream of selling their pups to a shop and NO good breeder has more than one litter at a time!:cry:

I know. They can get about 20-25 different breeds of dog, and about 3 per litter. I can't really report the pet shop to the RSPCA, I work there. :?

Not the petshop, the supplier;)

Or is it the petshop who breeds them, if so, I'd still have no hesitation of reporting cruelty;)

But they'll fire me if they found out that I reported their supplier. It's their main source of income, so if they got rid of the supplier/puppies, they'll be out of business, and I'll be out of a job.

Its confidential so they won't find out its you;)
No action may be taken, but if the animals are in a bad state, think of how many lives you have saved.:D

I'll think about it. The animals are very healthy when they come to us, only a few health problems, like waxed ears in one pup out of about 20, but that's to be expected. They are priced very high so people who aren't willing to pay vets fees etc, will not get a pup from this pet shop. And they are very well looked after in the pet shop, cos I look after them. ;)

Outwardly, they may look fine, but its all down to genetics, and I've known several people who bought pups from a bad breeder and one pup dropped dead at 6 months on a walk with the kids, and the other has ongoing problems.

As far as I am concerned the dogs' welfare is of upmost importance, and I for one wouldn't put off phoning the RSPCA incase there were 100s of dogs being bred in squalid conditions with all the bitches being bred every time they come into season for the sake of a job in a pet shop, especially when the RSPCA by law cannot tell anyone who phoned them in the first place, what is there to think about?:?

If you are that worried, can someone else not phone on your behalf?

It horrifies me to think they can get so many different breeds, there is NO way these dogs are properly care for.:cry::cry:

I just think I shouldn't have said anything now. I love working there and I love spending time with those pups and I think the pet shop does everything they can to make the pup as healthy as possible once it's in our care. I care very much for these pups until they leave our doors, and then the responisability passes onto their new owner.

I don't want to seem like I am harassing you, but your store is supporting a mill, and can you honestly, as a dog lover, sit by and not do anything?

Prehaps you should have a look on this site:
http://stoppuppymills.org/inside_a_puppy_mill.html

If the breeder is doing nothing wrong, then the rspca can't do anything, so action will only be taken if it is a full scale puppymill. If its not, thens whats the harm in getting it checked out to put your mind at rest.

If you care for these pups as you claim to do, then why don't you phone the RSPCA? Heck I would do it, but I'm not even in the same country let alone area so the RSPCA isn't going to take my complaint seriously. I really hope you reconsider.:D

I've just rung P@H to ask what opening hours were as I needed a nest box. Someone answered and told me they were closed today, so I guess they must be in there feeding the animals.

I've just rung P@H to ask what opening hours were as I needed a nest box. Someone answered and told me they were closed today, so I guess they must be in there feeding the animals.

As I posted earlier in this thread, of course PAH staff go in to see to the animals.

Last edited:
Back