• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Welfare Act-Sources of Information

Good idea Jane, well done :thumb: :thumb:

Erm! can you decipher it for us please? :oops: :oops: , basically, what does it mean for bunnies?

That is useful. I had a quick look at the act, but couldn't find the bit I really want, which is where it says what the minumum hutch size is. People are often asking on freecycle for second hand hutches, and I would like to be able to point them to an official document saying what the legal minimum size is. Can anybody direct me to this?

This following section from the new Act, is the one of most interest, but as it is does not have any specific guidelines, what does this actually mean with regards to bunnies?

Does this really mean that "SECS" can be enforced? Or even RSPCA minimum hutch sizes? It all sounds a bit too open to interpretation to me!

Section 9: Duty of person responsible for animal to ensure welfare

(1) A person commits an offence if he does not take such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances to ensure that the needs of an animal for which he is responsible are met to the extent required by good practice.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, an animal’s needs shall be taken to include—

(a) its need for a suitable environment,
(b) its need for a suitable diet,
(c) its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns,
(d) any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals, and
(e) its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

I assume that the hutch sizes will be set by the Pet Care Trust?

In which case, minimum size for a nethie will be 3ft....minimum for a 'medium' bunny will be 4ft....and minimum for a french lop will be 5ft :roll:

feeling_the_wrath_already said:

In which case, minimum size for a nethie will be 3ft....minimum for a 'medium' bunny will be 4ft....and minimum for a french lop will be 5ft :roll:

Oh dear!, that doesn't sound very good, does it?, must admit I am a bit confused with it all and would like an idiots guide to the new laws :oops: :oops:

I had to read the Animal Welfare Bill and write a critical review of it for one of my final year degree assignments. It was an absolute nightmare trying to decipher it!

feeling_the_wrath_already said:

I certainly hope not :!: They are funded by the pet shops and give out bad information routinely.

The RWA is the appropriate source for rabbits. Sadly guineas are not as well represented :cry:

I think this is a hugely confusing piece of legislation, and most people will be completely ignorant of it. It's the bit about being housed with, or apart from, other animals that seems particularly relevant for herd animals. I mean, are they actually saying that keeping a lone rabbit, guinea pig, or mouse will have people breaching the law?

If so, then I really don't think people are aware of this. :?

Hmm. Definately a bit confusing :?

Who will decide what is or isn't suitable? And surely not every bun can be housed with a partner, they don't always bond, do they? Plus my boy is a single till he's neutered.

Will there really be enough people to police the new bill?

Back