• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I going in the right direction?

Natalie83

Warren Scout
Hello all :wave:

I wondered if could glean some advice from many of you experts on the forum with regards to my first ever bond? Any help would be SO appreciated! Sorry for such a lot of detail but didn't want to leave anything out!

On Saturday we took our five year old spayed lop called Harriet (who lost her sister in April) to meet Reuben who has been in rescue since the beginning of the year. The first meet involved putting them in a neutral area in a small run. Both bunnies were indifferent to one another and Harriet was the more relaxed of the two and began munching the grass and offerings of curly kale (apparently Reuben's favourite!) They continued to be indifferent and were put into two further smaller areas where they were quite calm with each other. This took about an hour in total and as all other checks had been completed we were allowed to bring him home to continue the bonding here. The journey was from Romford up to Suffolk so was approximately an hour and twenty minutes and we had a large sturdy cardboard box in the back of the car which we popped them both into. There was plenty of hay in there and I sat in the back with them to monitor things. I had a neutral cloth that I rubbed over each of them intermittently throughout the journey for them to familiarise themselves with each others scent. Harriet continued to be more relaxed and munched away on the hay but both bunnies eventually flopped out and lay next to one another.

When we arrived home we set the box down in the garden with a bowl of water and allowed another hour in the box. We then constructed a small pen around them with interconnecting wire panels and popped them both into the area after rubbing a dab of vanilla essence on their heads to encourage grooming. A neutralised litter tray was added along with some forage treats. They continued to sniff one another and munch together and in some cases were quite close while surveying their pen! As this was continuing along nicely we extended the pen by two panels a couple of hours later and this did then result in some superficial scuffles with tail raising, thumping and fur pulling. During these episodes we had a towel handy to cover one of the bunnies over to diffuse anything that looked like it might escalate. Once these had died down they then approached each other and cautiously Reuben put his head down for Harriet to groom him which she eventually agreed to doing. They snuggled and ate together when dinner time came and there was no food aggression. Reuben is quite clumsy and heavy handed about putting his head down under Harriet's tummy / chin for licks but Harriet is probably positively responding to this with grooming about 60% of the time but there are occasions when she is reluctant.

As the evening approached on day 1 we brought them into another small penned neutral area of the house and watched them until bedtime. The litter used through the day was brought in to continue transferring scents etc. There were two further scuffles and on the second one we decided to pop them in the bath which worked very well because Reuben groomed Harriet for a lengthy period and they snuggled up close. Harriet also groomed him. We rewarded them with a couple of blackberry leaves to end the day on a good note. We secured and separated them overnight with a pen of doubled up wire panels to prevent any bites through the wires and in order to have a little bit of respite. But of course they were in the same area and could see / smell one another. We also evenly distributed the used litter from the day into each of their individual trays.

On day 2 we topped up the dab of vanilla on their heads and began with the large cardboard box again and a couple of superficial scuffles ensued with the usual fur flying, thumping and circular chasing with some nipping I think. In order to try and diffuse the situation we used a towel but also calmly stroked both of them to ease any tension. This seemed to work well and after about 90 minutes we then popped them into the same neutral penned area in the garden with a neutral tray, hay and willow sticks. For the majority of the day they behaved exceptionally and I had a chair in their pen to sit on which they both snuggled up underneath and flopped together. There were no further scuffles until after they had eaten their dinner and were munching on the grass as the evening approached. However, I know this is more likely to happen at dawn and dusk so felt relatively secure in that the day had gone well.

On the evening of day 2 we separated them again as before but swapped beds and litter trays around as well as the water bowls and ended with a treat. Unfortunately due to work I cannot at the moment commit to uninterrupted bonding so have had to commence scheduled bunny dates only until the end of the month when I have four full days together.

So yesterday morning (day 3) they had their breakfast in their separate areas and I then swapped the bunnies themselves into alternating pens. I can nip back home from work at lunch so did so to check on them and swapped them over again. When I came home in the evening I swapped them for a couple of hours again and then introduced them to the indoor neutral area again complete with dab of vanilla essence just on Reuben to try and confirm Harriet's ongoing grooming of him and establish some sort of hierarchy / dominance. Just to clarify there has been no attempts at mounting from either apart from a very halfhearted attempt by Harriet which she abandoned.

This was the most tense of all the meetings so far and resulted in multiple scuffles of the same variety with nipping which I had to intervene with and got caught up in causing a chomped hand! In the end I got in the pen with them and persevered with the stroking of both that calmed the situation down and eventually Harriet groomed Reuben on request. There was some mutual munching of hay following this and the meeting ended again with a blackberry leaf treat. As this was pretty hair-raising this meeting only lasted an hour and we then popped them back in their separated areas again.

I will continue to swap them over in their pens but wonder if I should continue the bunny dates through this week or leave it a few days and then re-try with some dates? Alternatively should I allow them to settle with living in the same area only but commence the bonding fully at the end of the month when I will have four full days without interruption?

Just a bit of background info both bunnies are neutered. Harriet is five and Reuben is three and a French lop cross. Reuben lost his partner in Nov and became depressed. As his owners did not want another bunny they asked the rescue to take care of him. He was tried with a large female but she apparently attacked him and I think this is causing him to be anxious with Harriet. I don't know if she is then picking up on this and although appears to be submissive in being the groomer of the two, he has not asserted his authority by mounting her so I think she is a bit confused and may be taking advantage of his nervousness. In contrast Harriet is confident and not easily phased and is not showing aggression until his tail goes up (I think more out of fear on his part really) and she inevitably retaliates. Neither of them have had any injury at all and both show interest in each other through the panels.

I think this may be an example of a less straightforward bond but am I on the right track? I know it can be one step forward two steps back so prepared for difficult times but still probably need a bit of reassurance!:oops:

Thanks so much everyone! X

Hi there. Your bonding seems fairly normal but maybe one thing you could try and this is entirely up to you, but you could interrupt them a little less unless things get nasty so that they can sort themselves out better. Too much handling etc can spoil any progress that is being made. If you leave things until the end of the month you will probably lose some ground. I think, as they have both had partners before, they will settle down with each other. I don't know if vanilla is a good idea as they rely on their sense of smell so much. Hope it woorks out well.

Hi there. Your bonding seems fairly normal but maybe one thing you could try and this is entirely up to you, but you could interrupt them a little less unless things get nasty so that they can sort themselves out better. Too much handling etc can spoil any progress that is being made. If you leave things until the end of the month you will probably lose some ground. I think, as they have both had partners before, they will settle down with each other. I don't know if vanilla is a good idea as they rely on their sense of smell so much. Hope it woorks out well.

Hi Tonibun

Thanks so much - I think you're right and perhaps I am being overcautious. The experience of knowing when to intervene is what I lack at the moment and because these scuffles always look pretty dramatic with fur flying and jumping my reflexes to stop them are on overdrive! Thank you for suggesting to hold off the vanilla, I had read that it was a useful aid but I will definitely try without now I've shared my experience with you!

I am worried about losing ground which is why I had hoped to continue with the bunny dates until the end of the month when I can hopefully fully bond then. In trying to work out the best way forward it had crossed my mind that the disruption of Reuben coming into a new home and meeting new people etc might be causing him to be more nervous and tetchy around Harriet... but perhaps it's more because bunny mummy is working too hard at playing referee?! Must try harder to step back!!:oops:

I think you're trying too hard to make it successful and, through trying too hard, are actually hindering it.

All the moving around from place to place to place will unsettle them and potentially lead to issues, as will increasing the space so early on, and suchlike.

The vanilla essence is not designed to encourage them to groom the other (which isn't advisable to encourage anyway, in case it upsets the neutral heirarchy and can cause more problems later on). When used, it can be used, just above one bunnies nose, the over ride the smell of the other rabbit. This can be useful in some situations, but only a few. It can mask real behaviours though, so should only be used as a last resort when you understand what you are seeing from the bunnies and what you think will help.

There are no guarantees these bunnies will bond, but equally, if you can stop 'messing them about' then they might settle a bit and you might get a better representation of what's going on with them.

I personally would probably be inclined to just swap the bunnies over in the morning, and the contentsof their cage over in the evening, and go for bonding properly when you can really give it your all. The dating method can definitely work for some bunnies, but it doesn't work for all, so if you do decide to do it, it needs to be for the right reasons, not just to fit in around your work.

Bonding is very stressful and difficult. Did the rescue give you any advice? Or offer any support? If not, and you feel you want some, I'm more than happy to pop round, if you wish, to see the bunnies together at some point and tell you what we're seeing and give you some pointers specific to your bunnies. If you feel that might be beneficial then let me know :)

Sounds to me like the continued splitting is actually unsettling them more. It's a bit like being married to someone and on your honeymoon being split from them for large chunks of the day, it doesn't make for a sucessful relationship. If that makes sense.

I think you're trying too hard to make it successful and, through trying too hard, are actually hindering it.

All the moving around from place to place to place will unsettle them and potentially lead to issues, as will increasing the space so early on, and suchlike.

The vanilla essence is not designed to encourage them to groom the other (which isn't advisable to encourage anyway, in case it upsets the neutral heirarchy and can cause more problems later on). When used, it can be used, just above one bunnies nose, the over ride the smell of the other rabbit. This can be useful in some situations, but only a few. It can mask real behaviours though, so should only be used as a last resort when you understand what you are seeing from the bunnies and what you think will help.

There are no guarantees these bunnies will bond, but equally, if you can stop 'messing them about' then they might settle a bit and you might get a better representation of what's going on with them.

I personally would probably be inclined to just swap the bunnies over in the morning, and the contentsof their cage over in the evening, and go for bonding properly when you can really give it your all. The dating method can definitely work for some bunnies, but it doesn't work for all, so if you do decide to do it, it needs to be for the right reasons, not just to fit in around your work.

Bonding is very stressful and difficult. Did the rescue give you any advice? Or offer any support? If not, and you feel you want some, I'm more than happy to pop round, if you wish, to see the bunnies together at some point and tell you what we're seeing and give you some pointers specific to your bunnies. If you feel that might be beneficial then let me know :)

this is the third discussion thread in a row where I have just had to put 'I agree with Sky O' . . . . its getting embarressing . . . but I do totally agree.

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to read my huge post and reply. I certainly don't want to be hindering anything and appreciate the advice you have given me. I'm completely new to this and perhaps have read so many slightly different techniques and approaches to bonding that I'm confusing the issue without meaning to. I have had the usual bonding advice from Reuben's foster carer (bunny dates / scheduled set time for full bonding) and have the name of the lady who coordinates the rescue as an additional contact if needed while his fosterer is on holiday this week. However I think I will do the following now that I have had your input.

I will halt the bunny dates until the end of the month when I have at least full four days with them in addition to a day or so that my husband might be able to take off work.

I will also just swap the bunnies over once a day or on alternate days and continue to swap their litter trays periodically. When I begin again I won't use any vanilla and try my absolute best not to intervene until it's really necessary. As I've read introductions and bonding should happen in a small area, when they do start chasing it's obviously in a small circle and quite fast-I've intervened because I can't really see how 'feisty' the situation is and I break it up out of caution. It's just getting to know what is okay and what isn't if that makes sense. I'm sorry for sounding so inexperienced, I just want to learn and it get it right for them. If it isn't meant to be then that's okay too, Reuben has his forever home here whatever happens. However, I would like to give them the best opportunity to be friends...hence asking for your kind help. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Chasing is ok and normal. It's one bunny tring to hump and the other not allowing it. When they fight they circle round in tight circles before latching on and scuffling in a ball, that is when it gets dangerous.

Chasing is ok and normal. It's one bunny tring to hump and the other not allowing it. When they fight they circle round in tight circles before latching on and scuffling in a ball, that is when it gets dangerous.

Okay thank you, I appreciate the pointer!

Back