• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternatives to Megazorb

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
I know a lot of people think very highly of Megazorb on the forum, but I was wondering whether there were any alternatives?

I switched to Megazorb a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure I want to continue to use it. Ever since I've switched to it, when I clean out the hutch it sets off my allergies and I really struggle to breath/causes severe wheezing. When I first got the rabbits I used dust extracted sawdust and I didn't have the same reaction. However having read this forum, I appreciate that its not recommended to go back to sawdust.

I'm trying to litter train my rabbits, but at the moment they are only limiting themselves to the top tier of the hutch!

What else could I use to cover the whole of the base of the hutch (which is sizeable so needs to be fairly cheap)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Some people use straw or you could try newspaper and just have megazorb/hay or newspaper/hay in litter boxes - you may find the buns are more tempted to use the litter tray then. Mine are litter trained with the odd stray poop so I have Lino and then their trays but I have a chicken coop style hutch within an aviary/enclosure (I've gone wild with /'s today :lol:) I'm not sure if anyone has ever had problems with the buns eating straw - I'm sure someone will let us know if they have.

When I had the bunnies, I switched to Easibed, which was only about £1 more. It's quite 'woody', and I wouldn't use it for an animal smaller than a rabbit, but it is chippy in consistency rather than dusty. I'm constantly looking for flax bedding to try locally, but so far haven't found any.

Another one you can try is Aubiose, which is hemp.

Thanks for the replies!

Its been a really great help. I now just restrict the Megazorb to the litter trays - it hadn't occurred to me to do that :roll:

I will try one of the alternatives as soon as I'm at the bottom of the Megazorb bag. I haven't managed to litter train them yet - in fact my boy rabbit goes to great effort to poop all over the place when I've just cleaned out the hutch (just to let me know whose boss!)- but its certainly easier sweeping it up off a clear floor than trying to sift it out of megazorb.

Thank you!

I line my hutches with newspaper downstairs & aubiose upstairs !:roll: I did use loads differen bedding types & hay etc -but ends up too messy & the buns get confused about the litter tray issue!

Now I wipe down with vinigar...let dry - lay newspaper & then in the littertray newspaper & aubiose & hay in a hay rack above.

it is Hemp bedding- used for horses...comes in a massive bag & is baout £9 - last for ever though. Is great in that ithe wee is absorbed into the aubiose & stays underneath...so the top of the aubiose is always dry for the bun to sit on. You just scoop up the wet bits.

Sometimes I put hay down for snuggling into...but only keep aubiose on the litter trays & in their bedrooms...whcih they tend to dig about in....:D

Back