• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost yelled at her!!

:censored:! Some people are so ignorant!

I was in the vets waiting room today with my pair, a woman walks in with her 2 dogs (sits right next to me, good job my 2 have encountered a dog before and didn't seem any more scared of them than they already were being in their carrier!) and said 'oh are those rabbits? I've never brought my bunny to the vet!'

over the course of the convo (where I stayed polite) it transpired the bun was bought from pets at home at a few months old, has always lived on its own (3+ years), the woman had already given one back to pets at home because it bit her and therefore wasn't safe around children, the hutch was 4 foot and had no run, she let it out 'some days', the dogs chased the bunny around the garden but it was okay because they stopped once they had the bun in their paws, it was apparently 'happy' being a single bun because when she looked after someone elses rabbits her bun 'wasn't interested' and therefore that means she's 'destined to be a single bun', because the bun had never been to the vet it's not been neutered or vaccinated, i didn't even dare to ask what she fed it...

i tried to suggest she try looking for a neutered male from a shelter/rescue nearby and see if the female would be happier with one, i explained they'd be happy to do the bonding etc and it's so cute seeing them cuddle up...but no, she wasn't interested. i figured go for the 'lonely'; thing, get her to go to a rescue, and hopefully once there they might prod her into the idea of getting a better setup...

in positive news I stopped a little local veg shop nearby (it sells carrots with the tops on, yay :D) and the woman mentioned how long the veg would last me. I said 'oh it won't last as long as you think, I eat a load and my bunnies eat a good amount too!' and we got chatting about buns, she mentioned her brother (i think...) was thinking about getting some and did I know anywhere to get some. I said try some nearby rescues, they'll have loads of all different colours and breeds, singles and pairs and rescues are often willing to bond rabbits together that weren't previously, or even bond 1 bun from one rescue and 1 from another maybe! she seemed really enthusiastic and said that was definitely a better idea than from a breeder and I said definitely :D lovely woman! so there is hope, not everyone is useless :(

I was in the vets waiting room today with my pair, a woman walks in with her 2 dogs (sits right next to me, good job my 2 have encountered a dog before and didn't seem any more scared of them than they already were being in their carrier!) and said 'oh are those rabbits? I've never brought my bunny to the vet!'

over the course of the convo (where I stayed polite) it transpired the bun was bought from pets at home at a few months old, has always lived on its own (3+ years), the woman had already given one back to pets at home because it bit her and therefore wasn't safe around children, the hutch was 4 foot and had no run, she let it out 'some days', the dogs chased the bunny around the garden but it was okay because they stopped once they had the bun in their paws, it was apparently 'happy' being a single bun because when she looked after someone elses rabbits her bun 'wasn't interested' and therefore that means she's 'destined to be a single bun', because the bun had never been to the vet it's not been neutered or vaccinated, i didn't even dare to ask what she fed it...

i tried to suggest she try looking for a neutered male from a shelter/rescue nearby and see if the female would be happier with one, i explained they'd be happy to do the bonding etc and it's so cute seeing them cuddle up...but no, she wasn't interested. i figured go for the 'lonely'; thing, get her to go to a rescue, and hopefully once there they might prod her into the idea of getting a better setup...

I'd have been tempted to say that maybe she shouldn't bother with bringing her dogs in to the vets either. Forget the vacs and walking and just put them in sheds separately with only an occasional run round the garden chased by a lion who isn't used to killing their own food :roll:.

I'd have been tempted to say that maybe she shouldn't bother with bringing her dogs in to the vets either. Forget the vacs and walking and just put them in sheds separately with only an occasional run round the garden chased by a lion who isn't used to killing their own food :roll:.

Indeed, but it's sometimes a difficult situation to know how to suggest stuff and make it obvious that it's not that good, without sounding like a preachy, stuck up cow or a complete 'crazy bunny lady' :s

I kinda emphasised the getting the bun a friend part, and the fact that I got mine from rescue, the fact they have a shed with attached run (and how nice it was that they could sunbathe, play outside etc), and that mine loved running around the garden every day - as I figured those were the important parts (accommodation, exercise & friend). I hoped maybe she'd go away and think about it and maybe change some stuff :(

Oh god I've just remembered she said she tried to bond it with a guinea pig but got rid of the guinea pig coz the bunny bit it :censored:

EDIT: I also made a concious effort to look a little bit shocked/worried/sad every time she mentioned something bad and then 'subconciously' look at mine and touch their cage, so she subconciously got the hint that I wouldn't keep mine like that :roll: I hope it worked...

I dunno, buying a pet for a child doesn't automatically make them a bad owner.

I bought snowball for lucas and he had only just turned 2.
I wouldn't say that snowball has a bad life and he adores my son.

Unless there is anything specific said that points to someone being a bad owner, I try not to judge :)

:thumb:

She was probably just making small talk....that doesn't equate to being irresponsible or an animal abuser. Randomly voicing the thought that maybe her son would benefit from having a pet, doesn't mean she went straight out and bought one and then neglected it. Yes it can be frustrating when people say thigns like this, but really, there are so many more pressing animal welfare issues to worry about.

Oh I totally understand that, I adore snowball and he isn't going anywhere. What I am trying, but failing, to say I think, is that not all parents who buy a pet for their child become bad owners.

I agree:wave: How do children learn how to care for others if they are not shown how? My children have had pets since they were about two. I have always overseen them and made sure they were fed/watered and correctly handled. I have always researched their needs (so have the kids as they grew older).

Having pets has taught my children lots, they place much more importance on the happiness of their pets..than material things. They are also always trying to help others learn how to care for their pets (which can be embarrassing especially when a 9 year old is giving his Grandma a lecture on the importance of castration, correct id tags and using harnesses all in one sentence:oops: lol)

I know not all parents teach their children to care for animals responsibly but in the same breath not all adults look after pets responsibly without having kids....some dont even look after their own kids responsibly either. Its unfair to tar us all with the same brush though:(

Indeed, but it's sometimes a difficult situation to know how to suggest stuff and make it obvious that it's not that good, without sounding like a preachy, stuck up cow or a complete 'crazy bunny lady' :s

I kinda emphasised the getting the bun a friend part, and the fact that I got mine from rescue, the fact they have a shed with attached run (and how nice it was that they could sunbathe, play outside etc), and that mine loved running around the garden every day - as I figured those were the important parts (accommodation, exercise & friend). I hoped maybe she'd go away and think about it and maybe change some stuff :(

Oh god I've just remembered she said she tried to bond it with a guinea pig but got rid of the guinea pig coz the bunny bit it :censored:

EDIT: I also made a concious effort to look a little bit shocked/worried/sad every time she mentioned something bad and then 'subconciously' look at mine and touch their cage, so she subconciously got the hint that I wouldn't keep mine like that :roll: I hope it worked...

I think I wrote what I would like to say rather than what I wold actually say so I see your point.

However, if people are keeping their bun on their own in a 4ft hutch I tend to poitely remind them that their bun is a similar size to a Jack Russel and needs a similar amount of exercise. I then go on to ask if they think it would be acceptable to keep a Jack Russell how they are keeping their bun and that seems to get the message accross well. I always try and keep my tone fairly upbeat though so it doesn't sound like a lecture and if they get upset I reassure them that it's understandable because it's the traditional way of keeping buns but they can make it better by doing x,y,z and that will fix it.

I agree that children should be brought up in the presence of animals if their parents are animal lovers, I was and I feel that I gained a deep respect and compassion towards all living creatures... except spiders and wasps! :evil:
:lol:
When I was a baby Mum and Dad had Lucy our beloved cat, she was like a big sister to me and I loved her so much and was devestated when she passed when I was about 11 years old.
We also had Dandie who was our cute little bunny, although I do feel sorry for him now because back then the needs of bunnies were not so widely recognised and he did not have the best life he could have done due to being out doors and in a very standard hutch, but we loved him and he had attention so I do hope he was happy.
I also had fish, Silver and Goldie and I was so upset when I found Silver floating one day, I burst in to tears!
I then won a fish at a fete and called her Sweetie.
I also had 2 hamsters (At seperate times) Marmite was my first hamster and she was such a cute baby, she was slightly over weight though due to her loving chocolate drops so much and then I got Pebbles and again she was such a cutie and I loved them both so much.

We then got Simba when I was about 13 years old and he is a little monster but also has such a loveable side and I will be so devestated when he has to go to the bridge, I know he is getting older now and it does scare me.

My husband and I got Pippa our beloved late hammy, I became extremely attached to her and could not cope when I lost her.

And obviously we have Jimby and Cookie who are my little treasures! I love them more than life itself and can not bare to think about being without them!

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am glad I was brought up with pets because I have learnt through life to value them and treat them with respect and understanding.
This is what I hope to achieve with our son when he is born, I just hope he does not take it so hard when the end does come, because I do and it is soul destroying. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the issue with this lady? As I read it, she realised she would be the one to look after it by what was said in the first post so what's the issue?

Back