• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie (lots of healing vibes please)

bluebunny said:
He has now eaten some grated carrot on his own,do i still need to syring feed him again tonight?

If he has poo'd a bit and eaten a bit then no.
I would leave some grated carrot available aswell as his pellet feed.
As long as there is a bit going in and a bit coming out then syringe feeding is not essential and can be counterproductive if it stesses him.
Just try to encourage him to drink too ( No Alfie, NOT a pint of Guiness :roll: :lol: ) See how his poos look tomorrow. If very tiny or very few then add some syringe feeds to what he will eat on his own.
Well done Alfie-Bun :thumb: Sounds like you are doing OK!! :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
He has now eaten some grated carrot on his own,do i still need to syring feed him again tonight?

As long as there is a bit going in and a bit coming out then syringe feeding is not essential and can be counterproductive if it stesses him.
Just try to encourage him to drink too ( No Alfie, NOT a pint of Guiness :roll: :lol: ) See how his poos look tomorrow. If very tiny or very few then add some syringe feeds to what he will eat on his own.

Janex
Thank jane
Yes he gets really stressed :?
he has been pooing all day but they are very small
Im just so pleased he has eaten a little on his own :)

bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:

Janex
Thank jane

At this stage a bit in and a bit out is brilliant!! :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:

Janex
Thank jane

At this stage a bit in and a bit out is brilliant!! :D

Janex
Great :)

Oh, I'm so glad you've found someone to help him! And I'm extra glad that he's already eating on his own, that's great news!

Alfie didnt eat this am :(
I tried him again just now he still isnt,but i have just stressed him out a little as he needed his penicillin injection
Shall i try syringe feeding him again?

I think you are going to have to as much as he hates it.
Is he still on Metacam?
Have you tried him with some gratted carrot? If he still wont eat on his own by tomorrow I would speak with the Vet again. Alfie may need a stronger pain killer or something to try to boost his appetite.
Come on Alfie bun, keep fighting

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Is he still on Metacam?
Have you tried him with some gratted carrot? If he still wont eat on his own by tomorrow I would speak with the Vet again. Alfie may need a stronger pain killer or something to try to boost his appetite.

Janex
Yes he is still on metacam
he has been eating since fri,gratted carrot apple and his pellets,
it was just today he has refused

bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Is he still on Metacam?

Janex

Hmmm, are his poos OK?
Is he on probiotics?
I would try to get some syringe feeds into him tonight and contact the Vet who did the op' first thing tomorrow. He is on a hefty mix of antibiotics so by now may be feeling a bit iffy in the tum department. Also, sometimes a Vet will prescribe an opiate pain relief to use ASWELL as Metacam.
Will be thinking of you and Alfie. You have both faught VERY hard for a long time.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Is he still on Metacam?

Janex

Hmmm, are his poos OK?
Is he on probiotics?
I would try to get some syringe feeds into him tonight and contact the Vet who did the op' first thing tomorrow. He is on a hefty mix of antibiotics so by now may be feeling a bit iffy in the tum department. Also, sometimes a Vet will prescribe an opiate pain relief to use ASWELL as Metacam.
Will be thinking of you and Alfie. You have both faught VERY hard for a long time.

Janex
His poos were ok yesterday almost normal looking,its difficult to say today as i have been at work all day so there are a mix of poo in the litter tray,not sure if any is alfies
Yes im giving him probiotics in his water
I have syringe fed him a mixture of s recovery and some baby food just now
The vet who did is op is not back at work untill thur she has taken a few days holiday :?

bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Is he still on Metacam?

Janex

Hmmm, are his poos OK?
Is he on probiotics?

Janex
His poos were ok yesterday almost normal looking,its difficult to say today as i have been at work all day so there are a mix of poo in the litter tray,not sure if any is alfies
The vet who did is op is not back at work untill thur she has taken a few days holiday :?

Arrrrgh :x Vet has no right to take holiday when Alfie is poorly :wink:
Well, I would have a word with one of the other Vets. He/she will have Alfie's clinical records and may be able to suggest something.
I know after his op Uncle A had good and bad days. He would eat well then have a day where he was not that interested.
Hopefully Alfie will have a better day tomorrow. Its so tricky isnt it cos on the one hand we have to fuss over them with feeds and meds but sometimes they just want to be left alone. If only we could make then understand that all our fussing around them is just us trying to make them better.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Is he still on Metacam?

Janex

Hmmm, are his poos OK?
Is he on probiotics?

Janex

Arrrrgh :x Vet has no right to take holiday when Alfie is poorly :wink:
Well, I would have a word with one of the other Vets. He/she will have Alfie's clinical records and may be able to suggest something.
I know after his op Uncle A had good and bad days. He would eat well then have a day where he was not that interested.
Hopefully Alfie will have a better day tomorrow. Its so tricky isnt it cos on the one hand we have to fuss over them with feeds and meds but sometimes they just want to be left alone. If only we could make then understand that all our fussing around them is just us trying to make them better.

Janex
I know what you mean,keep picking Alfie up really stresses him out :?
So its a really tuff choice of what to do
I hope hes feeling better tommorow too

Well Alfie has eaten some grated carrot and apple also he has eaten some pellets
And produced a pile of normal sized poos :)
What else will he be able to eat?

bluebunny said:
Well Alfie has eaten some grated carrot and apple also he has eaten some pellets

Wow that is very positive news Marie :D well done Alfie :D
How about grating some celery, and cutting up some herbs very finely :?: :)

Best wishes

I feed william allsorts of veg he can manage it as long as it's chopped into small peices and as long as i give Grace fuill size peices as he can't eat as fast as her!!

Adele said:
bluebunny said:

Wow that is very positive news Marie :D well done Alfie :D
How about grating some celery, and cutting up some herbs very finely :?: :)

Best wishes
He doesnt like celery :?
Will try the herbs though :)

Phill said:
I feed william allsorts of veg he can manage it as long as it's chopped into small peices and as long as i give Grace fuill size peices as he can't eat as fast as her!!
Ive been spilting Alfie and truffle up to feed them truffle is getting fat!

Thats such good news Marie :D
Does Alfie like Brocolli? Uncle A will it a bit of the head of Brocolli if it is all crumbled up. I know some Buns get tum problems with Brocolli so I'd only try it if he has been OK on it before.
You can grate the stalk of a cauliflower too. Also Savoy Cabbage.
Sounds like he just had a 'not so good' day yesterday and today he feels better. Very much like Uncle A was for weeks after his op'. Up one minute and down the next. But he is still with us and enjoying life :D
You are doing a grand job caring for Alfie :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Thats such good news Marie :D
Does Alfie like Brocolli? Uncle A will it a bit of the head of Brocolli if it is all crumbled up. I know some Buns get tum problems with Brocolli so I'd only try it if he has been OK on it before.
You can grate the stalk of a cauliflower too. Also Savoy Cabbage.
Sounds like he just had a 'not so good' day yesterday and today he feels better. Very much like Uncle A was for weeks after his op'. Up one minute and down the next. But he is still with us and enjoying life :D
You are doing a grand job caring for Alfie :D

Janex
Yes he does like brocil id stopped giving it to all of them though as last time claude had some he was poorly
will try him with a bit though :)

Awwwww Marie it sounds as if you and Alfie are both doing a great job.

It's really good to know there is some great help and advice to be given on here.

Well done Alfie and Marie :thumb: :thumb: xx

Justine xx.

Back