• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie- gone :(

tasherd

Warren Scout
Hi, thank you to everyone who has read my other post and supported me through Alfie's move I just thought I would enlighten everyone on what ACTUALLY happened instead of people presuming things. I have always loved animals and had Coca and Smudge (dwarf lionheads) when I was about 8 they died when I was about 14 and a few months later I bought Lucy (dutch) (as the nearest rescue is an hour and a half away) from Pets at Home for my partners birthday. She was very aggressive and that is why I joined her she is a house rabbit and after being spayed and 'rescuing' (the place where he lived was awful) Jack (mini lop) she has calmed down. Jack is very nervous but is improving they have a massive two tier cage and have full use of the kitchen and garden. I have now had Lucy 2 years and Jack 1 and a half. It is my 17th birthday tomorrow and my mum asked what I wanted, in a jokey way I said a giant rabbit, my mum then considered it and we went to visit Alfie. There was at least 30 rabbits and about 6 had kits, there was no run, no nothing, hardly any had water and they were in 2 foot X 1 foot breeding cages, they also had reptiles (turtles, snakes etc.) (I will be reporting this). My mum said she was not promising on getting me a rabbit when we got there my mum said yes due to the conditions this is why I did not have accommodation ready as it was not my decision it was my mum's. Alfie was living in my room in the day and a L5 X W2 X H3 ft at night (this was definitely going to be permanent) he played for 16 hours and slept for 8, he played in the garden and in my room. I'd say I knew quite a bit about rabbits as I am obsessed with them! My mums partner said he would make a L7.5 X W3 X H3 ft hutch which would have a 4 X 4 ft run and he would then also play in the garden and the plan was if it was raining to come in my room. After I came on here and asked for recommendations for litter trays and a carry case I felt horrible and that I was being cruel to him, he was lovely and used to climb all over me, I therefore took peoples 'advise' and looked for a shed I found one for £89 but my garden isn't level and would cost hundreds to make it level I could not do that as it is not my house. That is when I decided that I would re-home him. My mutual friend has re-homed rabbits for years and dealt with conti's for over 10 years, it happened so quickly as my friend text me saying that 'the women' would take him today. I spoke to her on the phone and she did not pressure me into anything I decided it was the most fair thing to do for him, I took him at about 4.30 yesterday and there was a set-up ready inside for him to settle in, she took me outside and her 4 rabbits (2 bonded pairs) had full use of the garden and MASSIVE hutches that were left open full time there was lots of grass, tunnels, veg etc. I packed a little bag of treats for him and left, she said I can visit whenever I want and my friend is going to see him tomorrow, I am very upset and just wish I COULD look after him, I no I have done the right thing but it still doesnt fill the loss. Bye Alfie :wave::cry:

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY RABBITS-
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...0162021131980.293751.677241979&type=1&theater
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0162021131980.293751.677241979&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0162021131980.293751.677241979&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...d=489391481979&set=t.677241979&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/tasherd/pho...0162021131980.293751.677241979&type=3&theater

I don't really know what to say, but ((((hugs)))) to you. I don't feel that people were very nice to you yesterday, from what I read I thought it sounded as though the condition he had come from were not good and that you were trying to help him, which you could have done. Please don't let those few people put you off on here as there are loads of lovely people too xx

Hi, I'm sorry that you felt you had to rehome Alfie, I keep dwarf rabbits myself so have very little idea about the needs of a giant. It's a shame nobody could give you advice about how to make your set-up more suitable without a shed.

At least you can visit him and watch him grow, I hope he has a really happy life with your friend.

I can't see your pictures because it says they are unavailable. If you go onto each picture, right click and copy URL, then paste that here, it should give a direct link to the pictures (if that makes sense!)

I hope you decide to stick around here, we do all love rabbits very much and you can get a lot of advice and ideas from here. When I first joined I had just bought Oscar from a breeder and was keeping him in a small indoor cage, but being here has meant that his life (and that of his wife, Jessie) has improved drastically.

Nobody claims to know everything when they join and RU is a great place to learn, share pictures and have a chat.

You have done an incredibly hard and very very difficult thing - something which shows how much you loved him and how much you care about your animals. To be honest I dont know as I would have been able to be that strong.

Hugs

You have done an incredibly hard and very very difficult thing - something which shows how much you loved him and how much you care about your animals. To be honest I dont know as I would have been able to be that strong.

Hugs
<<<< ditto this >>>> You have shown a great deal of maturity with this. It was good of you to share the background, although you shouldn't have been made to feel that you needed to justify yourself. I hope you stick around and share bunny tales with us (most of us are nice, honest :) ).

Just one thing - am I the only one that read the title of this and thought OMG Alfies died :shock: . Thankfully not.

<<<< ditto this >>>> You have shown a great deal of maturity with this. It was good of you to share the background, although you shouldn't have been made to feel that you needed to justify yourself. I hope you stick around and share bunny tales with us (most of us are nice, honest :) ).

Just one thing - am I the only one that read the title of this and thought OMG Alfies died :shock: . Thankfully not.

I read it that way too . . .

Thank you to everyone and haha no he has definitely not died :) He is going to have a friend there to I am planning on getting two DWARF rabbits in a few months and I will organise everything before hand, thank you. Have fun Alfie :)

I think what you've done is great and very unselfish. He will have a great life now that you got him out of those awful conditions.

Aww im sorry to hear you had to give him away :( but yes ditto to whats said above what you have done is unselfish and atleast he will have a good home now :)

Heeey

I'm new on here too, and despite being a bunny owner for ten years (got my first bun, Mr Orion at 21) I think like everything, everyday is a learning day no matter how much experience you have. Just last year I learnt about how bunnies can live in wendy houses/sheds and can even use catflaps - I would of never of believed it, and I'm sure others are getting to grips with other things like this latest 2 in 1 vaccine. No one is an expert, and its better to ask questions than to carry on and get it wrong. Anyway I basically wanted, like others, show my support and to say well done for trying to do your best in getting the bunny out of those horrid conditions and doing your best :thumb:

Don't take any notice of people trying to shoot you down, you did a good thing hun :)

Well done, it sounds like you saved him from a horrible situation and he will have a much nicer life now, perhaps if you could get a set up suitable for him then you could have him back? I guess it will take time for the lady to get him neutered etc so you could look into it?

You did the right thing in asking for help & this shows how much you love your buns. Lets hope everybody can see that now :roll: The forum has got much better, trust me it used to be much worse than what you got yesterday :cry:

Good luck and keep coming back - even if you don't wish to post, the advice on here is very good.

So sorry you didn't feel you could keep Alfie :cry: But it sounds like he will be very well looked after in his new home, certainly much better than the conditions you found him in.

I ditto what everyone else has said - you only learn about issues and how to deal with them when you come across them, there is no way you can instinctively know everything there is to know about all rabbits! Good thing he was picked up by someone who cared enough to find out what was best for him.

I am sorry you had to give him away. It sounds like you did your very best though, no one can say any different.
Giant rabbits are quite the handful with all the space and food they need. I am glad you made a mature decision and found an nice place for him. I hope he will be happy in his new home :wave:

I hope on the other thread I didn't sound horrible with anything I said :oops: I really didn't mean to. Just wanted to give good honest advice.

Back