• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agression over food in already bonded couple

Hello,

I have two rabbits who I adopted from the RSPCA in December 2012. They were already a couple when I got them and they had already been spayed and neutered. They are approximately a year and half old from what I've been told. They have recently been moved from having the whole of my garage to a shed run combo that provides a similar amount of space. Pictures can be found here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?399521-Pictures-of-new-shed-amp-run-combo-plus-I-need-advice-on-cleaning-the-lino-floor

They are two very different buns in terms of personality. Nibbler the doe is my little angel. She is so nosey and friendly I am almost always struggling not to trip over her. She is always licking my clothes and trying to get her face up close to mine and will be stroked. (I can be known to lay on the floor with them as they don't like cuddles or being picked up but will both gladly climb on me if I am at their height.) Tiny the buck however has always been a bit of a shy grumpy little boy. He is easier to handle if you must but I think he is just resigned to his fate when this happens. He tends to shy away from me these days if I try to stroke him or if he thinks he is going to be picked up. I think I have been handling him too much of late and he's getting wary of my presence.

The problem I have been having with these two is Tiny is getting more and more aggressive towards Nibbler in regards to food. They did used to be little sods for snatching food off each other and running off with it but that seemed playful in nature. These days tiny will let off a little grunt or growl and chase her sometimes even yanking out a clump of fur. I usually break this up with a clap of my hands and a firm call of no or stop it, but I wonder if this is the wrong thing to do. I think ultimately I am just making him more wary of people and she's getting punished when she has done nothing wrong. He mostly does this when Mum has been giving them treats of dandelion etc when they are down in the little run on the lawn but also sometimes when I scatter their veggies about the shed for foraging. When they get their rabbit pellets in a bowl they scuffle a bit for who sticks their head where but they seem to proceed munching away amicably till its all gone. I am wondering if Tiny acts up when he feels like there is less food to go around and wants to grab the lions share. I have now banned Mum from feeding them treats as we are getting to the stage where if I approach the run he seems to expecting food and goes for her regardless of there actually being no food.

I have noticed that although Nibbler does make herself scarce for a bit and is a bit timid after but they still can almost always be found sleeping or resting close together later in the day and sometimes even grooming each other. When I first got these guys I always thought that Nibbler was the dominant one she was bigger than him at the time, bolder and even tried to mount him once or twice much to my confusion lol. Is Tiny just trying to show he's is supposed to be boss because he is male?

I guess the main thing I want help to find out from you guys is: Is this behaviour normal? Is he actually upsetting Nibbler or am I just being over anxious and should I just let them get on with it instead of punishing him and potentially destroying the tentative relationship I have with him? Sorry to ramble but I'm not an experienced rabbit owner but I try to do the best for them (and probably spoil them) and this is beginning to concern me. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.

I had this in one of my bonded pairs. I worked out there was a definite trigger for it - opening the back door and or/sound of pellets being put in a bowl.

Essentially we started scatter feeding, and started opening the door an going out the back very regularly, so they got used to the door opening and them not getting food.

It sounds like excitement over food and the resulting chasing

Doing the above two things helped a lot. There is sometimes chasing but it never escalates into fur pulling

Mine are exactly the same. When I walk in the room or feed them, they chase like mad and it's getting worse. They still snuggle etc, but Xena (my doe) refuses to groom my buck (Fiver) and I believe this is where the aggression is coming from. It started with the excitement over food and has developed into nipping each other on the nose or bum. I have been worried about full blown fighting, but so far, there's just been the odd clumps of fur.
I scatter feed mine, as soon as the food is on the floor, they forget one another and scoff their pellets. Same with their forage or hay. :roll:

I have been thinking of introducing a third bun to see if this will help matters..I most certainly wouldn't recommend this, though. I have been landed with a third bun, and she is calm and laid back, as well as submissive (at least to people) so I believe this might help their relationship. I have a lot of thinking to do as it is so risky. It could completely destroy their bond.

I think as long as there's no serious aggression, I would leave them to it, and just try to avoid situations that make them behave this way. Of course, this isn't always possible.

My doe and buck pair always chase each other and try to grab food from each others mouths. Mottle (buck) will lunge and growl as food is put down, both at me and at his doe, Peaches. She will also chase him when he runs off with a piece of food in his mouth.

I scatter feed pellets. I hand them each a piece of veg and put his pile of food in the hutch and hers in the run (they have now started waiting in 'their' spaces for the food).

I have only ever seen her groom him.

I am rambling. Scatter feed and put food in separate places (my two have access to both hutch and run at all times, I dont shut them in separate places).

Last edited:
I agree with scatter feeding. It means there is no one spot to be protective over.

Do they have hay too? They tend to not be territorial over this (as it's an unlimited supply) and filling up on lots of hay means they hopefully won't be quite as excited over other food.

If it continues to be a problem, the other option is to try and train different behaviour or break the routine. For example you might feed Tiny a treat before dinner, but he only gets it when he comes to a specific spot, and have a different one for Nibbler. You could also avoid any food treats outside dinner (which should be a specific time each day) and he may learn there is no point getting excited at other times.

Essentially we started scatter feeding, and started opening the door an going out the back very regularly, so they got used to the door opening and them not getting food.
I'll give this a go then I'll continue the ban on Mum from feeding treats when they are in the run and approach the run lots without food and hopefully he will stop getting so wound up.

Mine are exactly the same. When I walk in the room or feed them, they chase like mad and it's getting worse. .... I think as long as there's no serious aggression, I would leave them to it, and just try to avoid situations that make them behave this way. Of course, this isn't always possible.

Glad it's not just my guys and I guess your right we will try to avoid what sets him off.

I agree with scatter feeding. It means there is no one spot to be protective over.

Do they have hay too? They tend to not be territorial over this (as it's an unlimited supply) and filling up on lots of hay means they hopefully won't be quite as excited over other food.

If it continues to be a problem, the other option is to try and train different behaviour or break the routine. For example you might feed Tiny a treat before dinner, but he only gets it when he comes to a specific spot, and have a different one for Nibbler. You could also avoid any food treats outside dinner (which should be a specific time each day) and he may learn there is no point getting excited at other times.

They do have an unlimited supply of hay but they get so much grazing time on the lawn at the moment they aren't to bothered. You'd think he'd be full up on grass and not all excited about food. I will avoid treats outside dinner time as we have a set time for dinner we always stick to and I then he will have to learn not to get excited the rest of the time.

Interesting, not sure how easily I could train my two to 'wait' for food though lol.

I mean that they now both go to their separate places when they see me coming (I go through Frosty's pen to get to theirs) and are ready to leap on the food as I put it down.

Back