• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After Sammy... newly singleton :(

peediepixie

Mama Doe
I now have a singleton bunny, Laurel, after losing Sammy yesterday:cry:. At the moment I can't face getting and tbh can't really afford another rabbit (insurance, vacs etc) as my OH is struggling to find work this year, he works offshore and the North Sea is the quietest it has been for a long, long time. I want to keep Laurel as happy as possible by herself for the time being. She has a large hutch (5' x 2') attached to a 5'x6' run with lino flooring which then leads onto an enclosed area on grass which is approx 5'x6'. On the lino floored run we have big willow branches and chimney pots to jump over/chew and run around. There are more willow branches in the grassy run. I have a treat ball for food, she gets fresh veg everyday. I have cardboard boxes and tubes for putting hay and food in. Is there anything else I can do or give her to keep her busy and stop her from being too lonely?:(

Unfortunately the best thing for her really would be a new companion :(
I know how hard it is but you wouldnt be replacing Sammy, just making Laurel happy.
You could rescue one that has already been neutered and is upto date on vaccs.
Other than that Id just suggest lots of toys to keep her from getting bored and lots of quality time spent with you.
Sorry again for your loss :( xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I fully understand how sometimes it is not possible to adopt another Rabbit.
As you rightly say, the financial aspect cannot be ignored and with things being tricky for many people atm we cant always do what, in theory, is generally advised.

Is there any chance that Laurel could become a House Rabbit ? You really get to know Buns so well when you actually live with them :love: But I understand that the disruption they can cause is not something everyone can live with.

As far as enriching her environment goes, then changing the toys and boxes etc about every few days will keep her curious. If she is very food orientated then spending a bit of time with her throughout the day and hand feeding her rather than always relying on the treatball for giving food.

Maybe in time how you feel and your personal circumstances may change, but for now I fully understand your reasons for not feeling able to take on another Rabbit.

If you can live with a bit of extra clean up and hoovering from time to time then I can totally recommend bringing her inside and making her a house bunny! :D:wave: Buns love company and if it has to be us humans due to circumstances then this is better than no company at all. My pair are housebuns and I get so much company back from them! :D

I am so sorry about Sammy :cry: x

eta if she really can't come inside then is there anyway you can spend a bit more time with her outside? This should help x

Thanks all. I would like to get her a companion when the financial situation improves. I wouldn't feel safe taking her in the house as we have 2 dogs and a cat who is a real hunter. When I go out with the dogs into the garden she comes up to the fence to 'speak' to them which is fine but I wouldn't trust them with her out of the fence. I will try to spend a bit more time outside with her, maybe the kids could do the same. They love sitting in the run (the youngest may not though after Laurel, ahem "nibbled" his finger on saturday...). Any toy recommendations?

Aw poor girly. Is she an affectionate bun? perhaps you could put a safe cuddly toy in for her I know my bun loved his one for months before he decided to ruin it by peeing on it :roll: the only other things that i have found to keep them occupied for longer than 5 mins is a planter/pot filled with soil for digging in, willow and seagrass balls and a wooden roll thingy that has a carrot filling in the middle (which I got from Equine, Canine, Feline but P@H do them too)

It broke my heart to see Lola on her own and I am so happy she now has a new friend.
Maybe bring her in the house - you might get a dog crate on Freecycle or be able to borrow one and let her out when your other pets are away - my cats are hunters but they wont go near the buns - its a love hate relationship!

Back