• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice

cazza said:
Veronica
i have a big hutch outside with an open run which i tend to sit with my bun when they have been out but she is a house rabbit so the hutch is empty at the moment.
if you want to board your buns in it for a bit while you get sorted as its standing empty at the moment, and ill let them out for you each day and feed and clean it etc let me know.
heres a pic of the hutch or if you want to come look let me know.
it now has the new ladder attached to it.

(excuse the pics as they were took in winter) Not sure if it would be big enough as i dont know how big your buns are but it may suffice for a week or so

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

caz

Hi :D

Wow!!! That's a fab set up!!! Absolutely brill! :D Thank you soooo much for your offer of help! :D Soooo much appreciated. I will PM you :D

elve said:
aww I'm sad to read this Veronica - Keeping 20 piggies and 7 rabbits has half killed me at times, but I couldn't decide who to rehome so it just never got done - and here they all still are :roll: Like you say, they are all little individuals :)

Tamsin's had some great ideas (as usual!) but what jumps out at me from reading this is your parents need to allow you to leave at least one run out overnight - maybe? If they are so concerned for your health, can you not play that angle and argue for it?

And the other thing that strikes me is you do TOOOO MUCH WORK!!! :shock: :no: Wow I think I really would have died by now if I was as thorough as you are (no chance :roll: :oops: )

You alone know if cleanliness is more important to you than keeping all your animals with you - Would you have sleepless nights if there was fluff under the hutches? Would it kill the rabbits to have less tidy surroundings? My 4 girls are in a shed, and it's a case of 3 big litter trays in the corners (they're cage bottoms from 2' guinea cages) and the floor gets swept once or twice a week - the main thing being the litter trays being clean and they are so easy to shovel out using a dustpan and brush 3 times a week. There are more cobwebs than you can imagine in their shed :oops: and algae growing up the wall :oops: and I have never disinfected or even washed the floor in over a year :oops: But they are happy and very much alive as far as I can see :D

I do struggle with all the sacks and stuff I cart around these days too - but it's easier if you split things up into smaller amounts and do more walking to and fro with smaller bags etc, rather than heavy lifting.

I do hope you manage to keep them all as you'll be so sad to lose them I know :(

Thanks Eve for your kind words. With all those piggies, I dunno how you cope!!! It really is a full time job!

I can see what you're saying about the cleanliness. I do go OTT, and I'm sure the buns really don't benefit that much from it. However, I have very garden and house proud parents (hence probs with runs etc)...who are happy to let me have the buns...and of course want the buns to be happy too!...but as long as I keep the house/gardens spotless.
I've been brought up to keep my pets this way...and it's just how it's always been :lol: So most of the cleaning is more for my and the parents benefits, than the buns...so the standard has to continue to be honest.

If I can get help with the maintanance than that would help me sooo much. Fingers crossed I find that right person :D

This such an awful thing for you to have to go through, it makes me want to cry so I can't imagine how devastating it must be for you right now.
If you didn't live so far away I'd come and be your helper for free.

I hope you can work out a way of keeping all the buns.*Hugs*

the happy bee said:
This such an awful thing for you to have to go through, it makes me want to cry so I can't imagine how devastating it must be for you right now.
If you didn't live so far away I'd come and be your helper for free.

I hope you can work out a way of keeping all the buns.*Hugs*

Awww thanks hun, that's such a kind thing to say.

Hi Veronica
Do you have a uni or college near you that runs animal courses?

This could be another place to find a helper- at my uni they also run animal care courses/hnds for young people (16-18) and it is their responsibility to feed/clean the animals on site etc. This way you'd get someone who already has experience and really loves animals.

I'm sure someone would welcome the chance to help you with your bunnies!

I defiently think that you and your parents can come to a compromise on this- at least to put some modifications in place and see how it goes over the next few weeks xx

Back